Roy Khan's condition?

I was sort of a fan of Kamelot's prior to their PPXI performance, that performance blew me away!! I've been playing their new cd as well as their last two and cannot wait to see these guys again. Wow, was their set awesome!!! Get well soon and I'll be buying my ticket for their Chicago gig.

I am taking a risk of being mercilessly flamed and possibly being run out of this forum. But, I believe that this needs to be put out there.

Is there a chance that the band will be looking for a new frontman?

If this is a prolonged thing, what are the chances of both sides parting ways. Now, I don't fault Khan for having a nervous breakdown. That has happened to many people. Nothing wrong with it, one just needs to take care of himself. The problem is that this affects other people. I know Palotai does music instruction with Simone Simons. I don't know about Grillo and Tibbets. But, if I am not mistaken, Kamelot is Thomas' main source of income. If Khan is back in four to six months, no harm, no foul. However, what if it is prolonged? Does Kamelot still keep the light on for him if it goes past six months?

I put this out there because what people need to realize is that Kamelot is not just a band, it is also a business. KMI Productions and KMI Records are a part of that business. Kamelot lost tens of thousands of dollars, if not low six figures, because of Khan's breakdown. If it is prolonged, and Kamelot cannot tour, then what? Kamelot will be in the hole for a good six figures. Just read what Glenn posted stating that ticket sales were strong. That is a lot of refunds. If they don't tour, there is little income, period. So, if you are Kamelot, what would you do? Now, jettisoning Khan for health reasons may be cruel, but it is not unprecedented. Joe Perry and John Rutsey comes to mind.

What I am putting out there is, unless Khan owns a piece of KMI, do not be surprised to see a Kamelot without Khan in the near future. Not trying to be an asshat, and I hope that this does not happen, but I'm trying to be realistic.

I am taking a risk of being mercilessly flamed and possibly being run out of this forum. But, I believe that this needs to be put out there.

If this is a prolonged thing, what are the chances of both sides parting ways. Now, I don't fault Khan for having a nervous breakdown. That has happened to many people. Nothing wrong with it, one just needs to take care of himself. The problem is that this affects other people. I know Palotai does music instruction with Simone Simons. I don't know about Grillo and Tibbets. But, if I am not mistaken, Kamelot is Thomas' main source of income. If Khan is back in four to six months, no harm, no foul. However, what if it is prolonged? Does Kamelot still keep the light on for him if it goes past six months?

I put this out there because what people need to realize is that Kamelot is not just a band, it is also a business. KMI Productions and KMI Records are a part of that business. Kamelot lost tens of thousands of dollars, if not low six figures, because of Khan's breakdown. If it is prolonged, and Kamelot cannot tour, then what? Kamelot will be in the hole for a good six figures. Just read what Glenn posted stating that ticket sales were strong. That is a lot of refunds. If they don't tour, there is little income, period. So, if you are Kamelot, what would you do? Now, jettisoning Khan for health reasons may be cruel, but it is not unprecedented. Joe Perry and John Rutsey comes to mind.

What I am putting out there is, unless Khan owns a piece of KMI, do not be surprised to see a Kamelot without Khan in the near future. Not trying to be an asshat, and I hope that this does not happen, but I'm trying to be realistic.

I pretty much think that everything you just said hit the nail on the head..

If the problem is mostly physical, as was portrayed by the original statement, I'd bet on Khan returning. He is the voice of Kamelot. No way the band parts with him given his importance if he got sick and expects to recover, even if it takes awhile.

Otherwise, Eriksen had a heck of an audition in front of 1200 fans, and he aced it. If Khan just doesn't feel like he can do this mentally, emotionally, or physically anymore, then the band doesn't have much choice.

Is a neurological disorder necessarily a nervous breakdown? A pinched nerve can be classified as a neurological disorder. A slipped disc, a damaged nerve, a linked neck, hell anything could be wrong, and not a "gone crazy" result.

But recovery is certainly in order here. I'll wait patiently, as long as that guarantees he comes back.

Is a neurological disorder necessarily a nervous breakdown? A pinched nerve can be classified as a neurological disorder. A slipped disc, a damaged nerve, a linked neck, hell anything could be wrong, and not a "gone crazy" result.

But recovery is certainly in order here. I'll wait patiently, as long as that guarantees he comes back.

Read what Khan said. He said breakdown due to being burnt out. That is not a pinched nerve. ;)

I think, if we're looking at Kamelot as a business, then this would be an even worse business decision. Khan is never going to be kicked out of the band at this rate, he is far too important to Kamelot's image. If he leaves it'll be because he does so voluntarily, and after that, Kamelot would have to come up with something truly spectacular to not fade into irrelevancy. I've been a fairly e-active Kamelot fan for a few years, I know what their fanbase is like. Most of them are not going to support this band without Khan, the end.

I think, if we're looking at Kamelot as a business, then this would be an even worse business decision. Khan is never going to be kicked out of the band at this rate, he is far too important to Kamelot's image.
I'm certainly not going to pretend to have any inside information. That said, if there is one thing you get a sense of after interview Thomas, it's that he is a hardcore businessman. I would suspect he knows what his demographics look like, and he knows Khan is crucial to them. Khan will get as much time as he needs to rest. As Martin said, if Khan leaves, it will be because he chooses to do so.

If he leaves it'll be because he does so voluntarily, and after that, Kamelot would have to come up with something truly spectacular to not fade into irrelevancy. I've been a fairly e-active Kamelot fan for a few years, I know what their fanbase is like. Most of them are not going to support this band without Khan, the end.
It will be hard to maintain their status, that's true. Become irrelevant? I doubt that. Kamelot has a machine behind them, the clout to cherry pick almost any singer they desire, and more importantly, they have the Metal community's ear. There will be a small percentage of fans who see a Khan-less Kamelot as blasphemy and will ignore the band intentionally. However, the majority will check out their next disc. And if what they hear are high quality, Kamelot-esque material, the majority of the fan base will remain.

I'm certainly not going to pretend to have any inside information. That said, if there is one thing you get a sense of after interview Thomas, it's that he is a hardcore businessman. I would suspect he knows what his demographics look like, and he knows Khan is crucial to them. Khan will get as much time as he needs to rest. As Martin said, if Khan leaves, it will be because he chooses to do so.

It will be hard to maintain their status, that's true. Become irrelevant? I doubt that. Kamelot has a machine behind them, the clout to cherry pick almost any singer they desire, and more importantly, they have the Metal community's ear. There will be a small percentage of fans who see a Khan-less Kamelot as blasphemy and will ignore the band intentionally. However, the majority will check out their next disc. And if what they hear are high quality, Kamelot-esque material, the majority of the fan base will remain.

I will say, I wouldnt mind hearing another Kamelot album with the Circus Maximus guy on it :)

He was DAMN good live.

Khan is not just important to Kamelot's image, he's critical for their artistic and musical direction. Khan wrote nearly all the lyrics to their newer albums and at least contributes to writing the music (dunno to what extent).

I think most fans would agree that Kamelot really became the band it is today starting around the time of The Fourth Legacy. This is, not surprisingly, the first album in which Khan/Youngblood shared songwriting. Khan has only a couple credits in the previous album... which was good, but not nearly as memorable as everything since.

So, in addition to finding someone who can match Khan's voice (a difficult if not impossible (/fanboy) task in itself), someone (the hypothetical new vocalist, the other members, or Thomas himself) would have to step up w.r.t. writing. And even if that worked out well, it would most likely be pretty different stuff, which certainly would alienate a lot of fans.

Not to say it will never happen, but Khan is such an integral part of the band it is definitely not a decision Thomas would make lightly. I think (or maybe just hope) that no matter how long a break he needs, Khan will be back long before the band even thinks about a replacement.

Perhaps you're right, but I'm not so sure. I am a hardcore Kamelot fan myself who would never abandon them if Khan left, but I can't say the same about a lot of Kamelot's fanbase. For many, Khan himself is more or less the entire selling point. They'll check out the next disc, and regardless of how well-made and amazingly played the music is, their reaction will be "it's just not the same". But maybe that's just the ones who post their opinions on the internet and not the average buyer? Sometimes it's hard to separate the two, but they could very well be different kinds of people.

Perhaps after a rest filled winter, spring will inject the energy, desire, and mental health to get out and tour.

However things turn out, I respect both the band's and Kahn's decision. Get well Roy.

If Nightwish did it, Kamelot can do it.

Not that I like Nightwish's new singer, but if they pulled it off, I wouldn't worry about it. I know Thomas Youngblood wouldn't just pick anyone to sing. Kamelot is his baby and he wouldn't take the band in the wrong direction. Khan or not, the quality of the music would stay on the top of the genre.

If Nightwish did it, Kamelot can do it.

Not that I like Nightwish's new singer, but if they pulled it off, I wouldn't worry about it. I know Thomas Youngblood wouldn't just pick anyone to sing. Kamelot is his baby and he wouldn't take the band in the wrong direction. Khan or not, the quality of the music would stay on the top of the genre.

I totally agree, if Nightwish can do it so can Kamelot. Also they can do older songs again with a new singer. One of Kamelot's strengths is their live show which Khan is off on quite a bit. This whole thing is really shitty for the band no matter how you look at it though.

Considering it was at a bar that can't draw shit for Redemption, and only around 60 people for Primal Fear, and the show would've been on Tuesday, your choice of Arizona is kind of haunting.

That promoter (what are the called again, Mosh Pit Army or something dumb like that?) is horrible. I don't see a stitch of advertising for their shows, and the bar also does no advertising. It's great that there's somebody here to try and bring these bands through Phoenix, but they clearly don't have any business sense. For awhile, it seemed like the Clubhouse was the go-to club for these shows, and there was always proper advertising and notice.

I remember when Nick indicated Redemption was playing at UB's, I had a hell of a time finding *anything* about the show. After a whole lot of Googling, I finally came across the promoter's website (so they clearly don't know how to work the search-engine angle either). But c'mon guys....put some ads in New Times...do some kind of promotion. Lame.

eta: To keep some semblance of on-topic content, I should say that I fall in the camp that thinks Khan is vitally important to the music and image of Kamelot. Obviously, there's a breaking point if Roy can't get back into the swing of things, but he needs to be given time. I've always been amazed at how many discs Kamelot has been putting out over the years...especially given the overall scope of the work they do (I do think there's a parallel to Dream Theater here). If Roy reached a point mentally where he just needs a break, I'm not sure any of us can fault that.