11 year old kid plays Inferno

ever heard of language learning? music is a language. there's a REASON they teach foreign language in middle school, and ElPredicador is dead on for why: because at a young age, the developing brain is more receptive and capable of picking up these kinds of concepts. it's MUCH harder to start learning a language when you are older.

Actually music is the same language as "Maths". Music is maths. May be we don't notice but when we listen to music or play it, our brain is making lots of calculations and stuff in the background :) And this makes us enjoy what we do.

Now come and tell this to my maths teacher in middle grade :)

Actually music is the same language as "Maths". Music is maths. May be we don't notice but when we listen to music or play it, our brain is making lots of calculations and stuff in the background :) And this makes us enjoy what we do.

Now come and tell this to my maths teacher in middle grade :)

This was something my Guitar teacher remarked. All his talented guitar students had totally no problems with mathemathics at school.

actually, he's much faster than me. but i destroy him utterly in the realm of expression.

rather i find it a snoozefest that people actually care about these kinds of things. 2 year old plays hendrix!!! etc, etc. wake me up when he writes a symphony that's on par with Mozart.

Snore. If the kind composed something on that level you'd still be upset, as are all people who start screaming or moaning about expession, which is more than a way of EXPRESSING jealousy. :)

"Speed is a retarded way to judge a guitarist's skill"

UH, and a good way is how he expresses himself? lol Speed is a great to judge a guitarist skill, so long as we're not talking a 2 note wank fest

.Music is maths!!!!! Yes :)

UH, and a good way is how he expresses himself? lol Speed is a great to judge a guitarist skill, so long as we're not talking a 2 note wank fest

Going by this logic, Rusty Cooley is a better guitarist than Steve Vai, and Frank Zappa is a terrible guitarist in comparison to both. This is obviously completely false.

I can only bear a few minutes of Rusty's mindless shred without getting ultra-bored, but I can watch Vai DVDs or listen to my Shut Up n' Play Yer Guitar trilogy all day long. Any good gitarist can shred, (anyone who's spent more than 10 minutes on Youtube knows this) but it takes a great guitarist to actually amaze me or inspire me.

Thanks sir.

No problem, the forum is getting quite slow so it's nice to see old members posting again. By the way, I was reading up on my movie thread a few days ago and rented Lady in the Water cause of your recommendation, it was fucking great!

No problem, the forum is getting quite slow so it's nice to see old members posting again. By the way, I was reading up on my movie thread a few days ago and rented Lady in the Water cause of your recommendation, it was fucking great!

Wow, thanks man. Most of the reviews of this movie are as bad as hell. I am kinda a Shayamalan fan myself, but i think it is a good movie anyway. Actually people thought it is a fairy tale kinda story, but you know, it actually tells the healing process of a man, within his mind. It is quite a symbolic movie. It also makes many references to the stuff we are dealing with nowadays, without harming any thought or idea. I like tha guy writes his movies.

Now don't ask me what all this stuff has to do with the 11 year old kid playing inferno, cause i don't know :D

Going by this logic, Rusty Cooley is a better guitarist than Steve Vai, and Frank Zappa is a terrible guitarist in comparison to both. This is obviously completely false.

I can only bear a few minutes of Rusty's mindless shred without getting ultra-bored, but I can watch Vai DVDs or listen to my Shut Up n' Play Yer Guitar trilogy all day long. Any good gitarist can shred, (anyone who's spent more than 10 minutes on Youtube knows this) but it takes a great guitarist to actually amaze me or inspire me.

Steve Vai > Rusty Cooley

Any day and every day! Vai is one of the absolute masters! :worship:

Yes, when I say great guitarist, technical ability, that's what I mean, I think a better term for what you seek is who's the better song writter.

A. Speed isn't always teh only part of Technicality.

B. Writing is part of playing.

A. Speed isn't always teh only part of Technicality.

B. Writing is part of playing.

I must disagree with B, I can write music for cello, and can not play a lick of it.

No speed is not the only part of technicality but does play it's part, an increase in tempo may leave many guitarists behind on a given song, etc.

Reactions: progmetaldan
I must disagree with B, I can write music for cello, and can not play a lick of it.

No speed is not the only part of technicality but does play it's part, an increase in tempo may leave many guitarists behind on a given song, etc.

That's an excellent point! I've arranged simple songs with very complex orchestral parts and countermelodies etc. etc., and I wouldn't be able to play any of it, but when I listen to it through my sibelius computer program, it sounds awesome!!!

Though for what it's worth, I do think writing your own music on your instrument goes a long way to helping you improve...