11 year old kid plays Inferno

What I meant is he has a superhuman ability to play the guitar but I feel no emotion when listening to his music. I was making a comparison to that episode of TNG where Data recites poetry.

When I first saw that handflapping thing he injected heaps of emotion into me cos I was just :OMG: . Then I discovered he isnt playing anything while he's doing it but AH WELL :p.

Rag on MAB all you want, guy's got sick chops and from watching his recent Guitar World lessons he's apparently a really nice guy and awesome teacher as well.

now that you mention that...the performance of oral sex on farm animals doesn't seem so bad anymore :)

When I first saw that handflapping thing he injected heaps of emotion into me cos I was just :OMG: . Then I discovered he isnt playing anything while he's doing it but AH WELL :p.

yeah. not to mention how the videos are "sped up" at some sections in an offensively obvious way. might as well flash a subtitle "dramatization" or "air guitar in progress"

obviously its not amazing, but for a rock guitarist, well, I know quite a few guitarists in their late teens and 20's that can't play inferno so it is kind of cool. Better than when you go into guitar center and there is an 11 year old playing the one green day song he knows.

You don't need theory or writing skill to be a good shredder. You need writing skill and theory to be an AWESOME shredder. 'Tis why I like Jason Becker better than alot of other shredders.

That's true, though Jason Becker isn't the greatest theory buff... I have massive respect for Steve Vai in this area. He has perfect pitch and can sight read anything. That doesn't just happen, he's worked heaps for that, and now he can play just about anything... Ron Jarzombek is another who seems to have a limitless knowledge, as does Tony MacAlpine.

Wow, some people here had a troubled childhood.

I think you've forgotten what it meant to be a kid - most of us wanted to have FUN. This kid plays what HE wants to play, and develops the technical skills which allow him to achieve what HE wants.

As he gets older, he'll become CAPABLE of adding emotion and accuracy to his playing, but until that comes he's a kid - he's going to play what makes him happy.

Props to the kid for doing what he loves. There's very few kids that age who can play that well on any instrument.

it just seems like maybe it makes some people feel good to question an 11-year-old's ability. my passion when i was that age was probably playing tag and collecting hot wheels. i really can't understand how you can listen/watch a kid do something like that and say "yeah, he's not that good." i'd hate for this kid to stumble onto this board and read some of the stuff that's being said. if i was him and read it, i'd think "wow, maybe i'm not as good as i think i am...hot wheels it is, then." you can critique it, but at least give the kid a break. i'd be embarassed of my pals if one of them said some of this crap about my child.

is this a forum or a psychiatrist's office?

it seems that of all 4 pages of replies, perhaps 2 people actually comprehended my position. in fact, that there are STILL replies reinforces my views.

i'm not saying it's you, kenneth, i get your point, and it's valid, but there are other points made that i don't agree with. and, this being a forum, i am entitled to voice my opinion, right? that's all. i agree with you that technical skills alone don't amount to everything...i just feel that, being 11, he's good. what i don't agree with are comments like "meh, i bet it took him a long time to learn that," or "learn to play with a metronome." the way i see it, yes, he has a lot to learn, but being ONLY 11, he'll learn those things in time. he's still young, i don't think "grown-up" criticism should apply to the kid. some may say to this "he's too young to even attempt it or try a "grown-up" song". people learn from doing/trying/attempting...and at his age, simply taking a stab at the song of choice should show he's doing something right.
i really don't like the fact that he, obviously being a symphony x fan, may stumble upon this page, and, again, being only 11, may take some of the criticism harshly. and pardon me for commenting, but, like i mentioned in a previous post about a week ago, i've been away for a long while, so i may be out of the loop.

obviously being a symphony x fan it would be a shame if he stumbled apon this and it discouraged him from continuing playing, and at his age its very possible it would happen, I find it for cool that he can play symphony x at the age of 11, in the future he is going to kick some anus, most kids at that age do not have the maturity to play spoons acordingly let alone a guitar and let alone part of a symphony x song! I look back at 11 years old I was playing transformers in the school yard and collecting pokemon cards... (oh wait that might of been l8ter on, this might of been the POG years i do not remember!) I think its safe to say no on gives a shit about your point kenneth, if its not a positive remark, than you seriously got problems point finale! Happy Holidays y
all