11 year old kid plays Inferno

I get exactly what Kenneth was saying now, and the reason I haven't replied to it is because I have nothing to say to it, BECAUSE I get it. But I do have this to say: Kenneth, we know that you don't care, now can you stop shitting on all of our posts because we're impressed with a kid for taking the time to do something that most 11 year olds can't do?

This kid is on his way to becoming one of the greats! I agree that he should start slow, and move from there. A lot of improvement awaits him, but he's only 11! Very impressed.

As for the arguement - You think that people showing off how well they can play/do something is pointless, but showing how well they can create something is different? If somebody is composing symphonies all day, they'd be showing off their composing ability. Somebody who shreds all day is showing off their playing ability. Both are essentials, IMO, and should both be mastered and shown off. It takes a lot of practise to be able to compose something great, just like it takes a lot of practise to be able to shred well. As to what each person prefers, that's completely different. I am very interested in seeing how well a person can do any kind of skill, and because of people like me, they are interested in videos like this.

technical skills are cool. but they are merely tools. waving around tools doesn't make you a craftsman. as i have said, it's one thing to memorize, it's another to create.

and anyway, you've both missed completely the point of my argument that i have been saying all along: i don't care what you think about the kid. it's that OTHER people actually CARE about this video this much that irks me.

Yeah bud, it's all just tools anyone can learn - if that were the case everyone would play like MJR, but the truth is there are only a handful of people who can actually technically pull it off. I mean how often do you see a you tube video of someone playing Symphony X and its technically perfect? Almost never! I never saw anyone making a huge deal about the kid, but it's still cool for a kid that young to be ripping Symphony X on the guitar.

Oh, and screw that whole fucking 'he needs to stop and play with a metronome'. It's important to work with a metronome and get your timing to be accurate - BUT you don't have to do that 100% of the time. It's not the end of the world to screw off and play something silly and fast and sloppy every NOW AND THEN. In Petrucci's video he even talks about playing faster than you can and fucking up just so you can get your brain up to speed and then slowing down feels far more attainable.

Also, anyone who isn't just being cliche about classical music and actually knows a thing or two about theory and composition knows that Mozart is so unbelievably mathematical and obvious its not even funny. You can say his stuff is beautiful and brilliant, but learning to write and arrange like that is almost as 'technical' as physical play on an instrument. Theme 1 antecedant, theme 1 consequence, theme 2 (this time minor) antecedant, theme 2 consequence, minuet and trio, recapitulation, modulate to the dominant, conclude back in the original key of the piece.

People spend so much time swooning over emotion in their playing and usually you hear those people and they sound stiff and awful and their definition of 'emotiona' pretty much equates to 'melodically slow'. People who listen to this genre need to stop having such a big bug up their ass about other people's play when all they are presenting is some little clip of themselves playing a lick or two, and not their magnum opus.

Reactions: theVikingR
I get exactly what Kenneth was saying now, and the reason I haven't replied to it is because I have nothing to say to it, BECAUSE I get it. But I do have this to say: Kenneth, we know that you don't care, now can you stop shitting on all of our posts because we're impressed with a kid for taking the time to do something that most 11 year olds can't do?
Same here...

Yeah bud, it's all just tools anyone can learn - if that were the case everyone would play like MJR, but the truth is there are only a handful of people who can actually technically pull it off. I mean how often do you see a you tube video of someone playing Symphony X and its technically perfect? Almost never! I never saw anyone making a huge deal about the kid, but it's still cool for a kid that young to be ripping Symphony X on the guitar.

Oh, and screw that whole fucking 'he needs to stop and play with a metronome'. It's important to work with a metronome and get your timing to be accurate - BUT you don't have to do that 100% of the time. It's not the end of the world to screw off and play something silly and fast and sloppy every NOW AND THEN. In Petrucci's video he even talks about playing faster than you can and fucking up just so you can get your brain up to speed and then slowing down feels far more attainable.

Also, anyone who isn't just being cliche about classical music and actually knows a thing or two about theory and composition knows that Mozart is so unbelievably mathematical and obvious its not even funny. You can say his stuff is beautiful and brilliant, but learning to write and arrange like that is almost as 'technical' as physical play on an instrument. Theme 1 antecedant, theme 1 consequence, theme 2 (this time minor) antecedant, theme 2 consequence, minuet and trio, recapitulation, modulate to the dominant, conclude back in the original key of the piece.

People spend so much time swooning over emotion in their playing and usually you hear those people and they sound stiff and awful and their definition of 'emotiona' pretty much equates to 'melodically slow'. People who listen to this genre need to stop having such a big bug up their ass about other people's play when all they are presenting is some little clip of themselves playing a lick or two, and not their magnum opus.

*applause*

SyXified I praise your words ! They are beyond true
Especially about the part that emotional to many is melodically slow.. thats so untrue ! You can be emotional while playing 32 notes a bar ! :)

And check this video out of a 13 year old playing Vai, and its a girl ( be amazed men ) !

Last edited by a moderator:
SyXified I praise your words ! They are beyond true
Especially about the part that emotional to many is melodically slow.. thats so untrue ! You can be emotional while playing 32 notes a bar ! :)

And check this video out of a 13 year old playing Vai, and its a girl ( be amazed men ) !

UHH SHES NOT WRITING A MSTERPEIECE SHES JUST IMITATING IM NOT IMPRESD!1:mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got what you were saying (I also agree), but you kinda made yourself sound like an asshole critict in previous posts, I'm assuming that's why people are ragging on you.

i honestly think people are ragging on me because they are offended when someone disses a shredder (or a would-be)

edit: problem with being in a pile of girls? sure. unable to pick one. or a pile of stds. i see some issues. btw, Kaki King is awesome.

I'd consider myself a shredder, I'm still lacking alot of theory knowledge to be able to soulfully play over whatever I hear. And I know some people got offended, you basically ragged on an 11 year old kid saying he's not impressive because he's not writing Mozart equivalent pieces.

Seriously dude, re-read your posts.

You don't need theory or writing skill to be a good shredder. You need writing skill and theory to be an AWESOME shredder. 'Tis why I like Jason Becker better than alot of other shredders.