16:9 Widescreen?

Well thanks to a lot of you all as well. I had read about this issue for a couple weeks but thought it was just a random issue with DVD players out there or something. Guess not! Haha.

Snowmaker, you asked on another thread why nobody else had mentioned/noticed the ratio problem and --even though I made light of it earlier-- the truth is, that there are so few bands that excite me enough to actually purchase a DVD, that this topic is really not an issue for me. Not to mention, I hate to think of the money it would cost the record label to rectify the situation...but I'm not getting into all that.

...And I totally stick by what I said earlier :loco:

Helen A. Handbasket said:
Snowmaker, you asked on another thread why nobody else had mentioned/noticed the ratio problem and --even though I made light of it earlier-- the truth is, that there are so few bands that excite me enough to actually purchase a DVD, that this topic is really not an issue for me. Not to mention, I hate to think of the money it would cost the record label to rectify the situation...but I'm not getting into all that.

...And I totally stick by what I said earlier :loco:

Well, some of us, like me, are very picky when it comes to picture and audio quality and we have good eyes and ears for those sorts of things. I can't live with an inferior/flawed product. :yuk:

Please don't tell me you buy Full Screen DVD movies. :guh:

Quality is very important, and most of all, when you buy a product it should be safe to assume it's error free. I hope InsideOut takes it responsability to fix the issue for the NTSC realese asap. Evergrey is worth it.

Snowmaker said:
Well, some of us, like me, are very picky when it comes to picture and audio quality and we have good eyes and ears for those sorts of things. I can't live with an inferior/flawed product. :yuk:

Please don't tell me you buy Full Screen DVD movies. :guh:

Just because I'm indifferent about the whole thing, doesn't necessarily mean that I don't have good eyes/ears. I just ... oh, hell ... forget it. This "inferior" DVD still kicks my ass.

... And I respect your opinion. :Spin:

So could someone with a widescreen TV tell me, that if you use the mode of your TV that stretches the 4:3 picture to 16:9 ratio, does the DVD look like what it should?

...Because if it works that way, the problem is just that there's no information anywhere that the picture is anamorphic. An anamorphic picture is created by narrowing the 16:9 picture to 4:3 shape, and it shows right when the TV stretches the picture back to it's original 16:9 ratio. Once I saw one movie with that problem, and I had an old 4:3 TV back then. I couldn't see the movie right, and was very pissed off. But with a widescreen TV you can force the anamorphic picture, which isn't informed to be anamorfic, to show right.

SirJuzzi said:
So could someone with a widescreen TV tell me, that if you use the mode of your TV that stretches the 4:3 picture to 16:9 ratio, does the DVD look like what it should?

...Because if it works that way, the problem is just that there's no information anywhere that the picture is anamorphic. An anamorphic picture is created by narrowing the 16:9 picture to 4:3 shape, and it shows right when the TV stretches the picture back to it's original 16:9 ratio. Once I saw one movie with that problem, and I had an old 4:3 TV back then. I couldn't see the movie right, and was very pissed off. But with a widescreen TV you can force the anamorphic picture, which isn't informed to be anamorfic, to show right.

No, it's still not correct....it's not as bad as a on a standard 4:3 tv but, I notice it. Bottom line, if it's not correct on one tv (4:3) it's not going to be correct on another (16x9). It has to do with the way it was encoded. Simple enough fix but, the question is will they (Insideout) fix it.

SirJuzzi said:

Here's a great demonstration for those who do not understand what you just said:

http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm

I live in Sweden, but my usual record store often gets the U.S. version of DVD's and CD's so I have the NTSC version as well... Would someone please drop me a line at emil@deletedemail.del when/if IO releases a statement of replacement discs? I'm kinda bummed out that the 5.1 is only in DTS, since my amplifier only supports Dolby Digital...

RockGarden said:
Here's the response I received from my email to InsideOut.

I am forwarding this email to the powers that be. Seen a lot about this
myself.

Deron - webmaster
InsideOut Music America
www.insideoutmusic.com

Hopefully the powers that be will do something!!

I got my email reply today. I guess I could have put my board name in it so he knew that he'd already answered in my thread here:

Heya Jeff,

We are aware of the issue and will announce news regarding it soon.

Deron - webmaster

InsideOut Music America

www.insideoutmusic.com

Snowmaker said:
I got my email reply today. I guess I could have put my board name in it so he knew that he'd already answered in my thread here:

Heya Jeff,

We are aware of the issue and will announce news regarding it soon.

Deron - webmaster

InsideOut Music America

www.insideoutmusic.com

Cool, I keep checking their website and here to see if they've put out any official word yet. Looking forward to hearing something from them and I'm glad they acknowledged the problem!! They've earned my respect.....it would be too easy to just blow us off

RockGarden said:
Cool, I keep checking their website and here to see if they've put out any official word yet. Looking forward to hearing something from them and I'm glad they acknowledged the problem!! They've earned my respect.....it would be too easy to just blow us off
Wait until they actually deliver. There hasn't been a direct acceptance of the problem to the public, so we must wait and see.

Still waiting, should be this week now. More than likely it will involve you being able to send in the disc for a free replacement (correctly authored version). I assume they are working out the new pressing date etc. so they can announce a timeframe for replacement.

sknight said:
Wait until they actually deliver. There hasn't been a direct acceptance of the problem to the public, so we must wait and see.

You're right, I'm hoping they just haven't formulated a plan yet and that's why we haven't heard anything. Still nothing listed on their site about it. Since MetalAges is their Webmaster, it seemed promising....