Votes: 5 23.8%
  • black album

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • load

• reload

• Total voters
No, I'm serious. I'm not talking about their ability to write quality new music; that I don't care about, especially since they've clearly realized that the less of that in the live sets, the better.

As Metallica stands right now, they're still a very good live "retro" act, not really in any way different than say, Judas Priest, Dio or The Scorpions. No one goes to see those bands for their "new" material either.

markgugs said:
I'm not talking about their ability to write quality new music; that I don't care about, especially since they've clearly realized that the less of that in the live sets, the better.
I still think this is a scheme to get the new fans to go back and buy the old records. You're right about bands like Dio or The Scorpions putting on a good "retro" show, and interestingly enough, their audiences are filled with older fans who stuck around.

If you take Metallica, for the most part, the people who were around the first time (in the 80's) aren't the ones lining up to get into the shows today. There's just something very 'uncomfortable' about any of their motives IMO.

I still haven't gotten around to listening to Dyers yet, but he pulls off songs like Creeping Death, Battery, Damage Inc., etc. so honestly? I could care less. I could care less about their motives, since I have all their albums I want to anyway. I could care less quite frankly if they can play Dyers Eve or not. Perhaps they'll try again and it'll get better, perhaps not. To me, none of that matters.

I'm only pointing out that they still, by and large, pull off 99% of their classics and that's what they're playing right now. It's good.

Am I the only one that can stand St.Anger? There are a few songs I still like, lol.

Ride the lightning is by far my favorite album, ever. Fight fire with Fire, Ride the Lightning, Fade to Black, Trapped under Ice, Creeping Death, all excellent.

Master of puppets in my opinion is their weakest old album though, some great songs on it, but it gets repetitive easy in my opinion. Kill em all is great, same with AJFA.

I also love Black album, Garage inc, Load, Reload. All great stuff if you don't look at it in the perspective of "This is metallica?".