• reload

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spaffe

Geisterglut
Feb 25, 2002
Sverige
www.skivsamling.nu
i searched the forum for any metallica appreciation-threads and realized that there wasn't any. the thing is i've recently re-discovered them after a few years of them beeing completly ignored by me. the reason for the re-discovery was that at my current job i can listen to music all day long using a cd walkman or similar, and on a whim i decided to pop one of the 'ol discs in and felt like i'd stumbled on an old lost friend of mine :)

when i was really into them i was content just listening to them and didn't bother to look for any similar music, but as i was listening to them at work and felt sad that there aren't any more metallica-discs like RTL and MOP, i realized that there ought to be more bands playing this kind of thrash. now i'm pretty clueless when it comes to old school thrash and have no idea where to begin my journey so please give me some advice here on some classic thrash albums that's roughly in the same vein as older metallica. please don't bother with "good" albums, i want the classic essential stuff :)

and since this is a metallica thread it felt right to include an albums poll as well.

spaffe said:
now i'm pretty clueless when it comes to old school thrash and have no idea where to begin my journey so please give me some advice here on some classic thrash albums that's roughly in the same vein as older metallica. please don't bother with "good" albums, i want the classic essential stuff :)
Testament "The Legacy", "The New Order"
Exodus "Bonded by Blood"

I dunno, I could go on for hours naming great but not really essential thrash albums and also those that sound little like Metallica but I'll just stop here for now.

I voted Ride The Lightning...today.

Tomorrow I might vote Master of Puppets. They're nearly interchangeable, but RtL has 'Fade to Black,' 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' and 'Creeping Death,' 3 of my all-time faves.

Speaking of Exodus and other thrash bands, I did learn one thing from that Testament forum, it seems as if a whole ton of the legendary 80s acts are releasing seriously hyped albums this year. Yay! Thrash is really back.

Dunno bout sounding like Metallica, but if you want great Thrash:

Slayer - Show No Mercy, Reign In Blood, Seasons In The Abyss

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence

Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction

As far as Metallica go, I only own one song of theirs but am somewhat sick of them due to overexposure from the kids. They're everywhere and I wish they weren't, because you just get tired of a band you weren't much enthusiastic for like that. Having said that, the first two albums are cool.

I'm going with RtL. It's the only one that fully impressed me when I first heard, and continued to do so. Never saw what the big shit with MoP was, just overly long songs that repeat themselves, which is something that would be taken even further with AJFA.

RtL>KEA>>>>>>>>>>>MOP>>>>>>AJFA>>>>>>>>=infinity>everything else by them

@Spaffe, these threads of ours might be of help to you...

Forgotten Thrash Classics: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131231&highlight=thrash

Thrash Legends: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91684&highlight=thrash

Also, you're quite right in that there aren't any other albums like Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets. They're a class apart. All the other thrash albums being listed here are indeed classics, but they sound nothing like Metallica of that era.

Same with Sepultura - there are NO albums that sound anything like Beneath the Remains or Arise. And look see: RtL, MoP, BtR, and Arise are the four best Thrash albums of all time!!! Just kidding, but they're definitely in the top 10. \m/

Now, if you want a Metallica-worship band that are actually pretty decent, check out Perzonal War's Different But The Same. It acts as the missing link between RtL and MoP. I saw it on Red Stream the other day for $7. It is blatant Metallica worship, but it is so much fun. :cool:

I love all four equally depending on the time of day, but just knowing that everyone would be predictable and vote for RtL, I voted for AJfA. :loco:

One of the best songs you could ever see/hear Metallica play live was "Harvester of Sorrow". It's a friggin' masterpiece.

Ride the Lightning > AJFA > Kill'em All > Master of Puppets > Black Album

I hated AJFA for a long time though for whatever reason.

Thrash: Sacred Reich, Sepultura, S.O.D., and Megadeth. Rust in Peace is the greatest thrash AND metal release of all time, YEAH!!! :kickass:

I went with Puppets. RtL could never win for me because Trapped Under Ice has gotta be one of the lamest Metallica songs of all time (in the good era of course).

NAD said:
Rust in Peace is the greatest thrash AND metal release of all time, YEAH!!! :kickass:
This album totally blows and has gotta be one of the most overrated albums of all time. Seriously, I fucking hate Megadeth.

This album has been raved about in several other past threads in this forum, and I have remained tight-lipped. But you know... the signature... :D

bloodfiredeath said:
I went with Puppets. RtL could never win for me because Trapped Under Ice has gotta be one of the lamest Metallica songs of all time (in the good era of course).
Trapped Under Ice > Leper Messiah

This album totally blows and has gotta be one of the most overrated albums of all time. Seriously, I fucking hate Megadeth.

This album has been raved about in several other past threads in this forum, and I have remained tight-lipped. But you know... the signature... :D
Although I wholly disagree, I must respect the sentiment and opinion. And the fact that I appear quoted in the signature helps... :tickled:

I think Dreamlord hates RIP too, you guys can go hold hands somewhere in a corner while we listen to Rust in Peace. :D

Trapped Under Ice has probably the lamest vocal delivery and lyrics (prior to St. Stinker), but I love the riffs.

I don't wholeheartedly hate RIP, it has some solid songs, but it is no where near the greatest album of all time, or even the best thrash album.

DIE!
BY MY HAND!
I CREEP ACROSS THE LAND!
KILLING FIRST BORN MA-YAN!

Come on, that shit rules.