Question to all the Ulver fans - what are you thinking?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
So to all you those voting for Ulver...what is it about Ulver that makes them THAT great?

In the current example with Ulver up against Metallica, I can obviously go out on a limb and assume that all the Metallica voters are judging that band by the first 4 albums.

KeA
RtL
MoP
AJfA

Those 4 albums define Metallica. No argument.

Which albums define Ulver to the point where you conciously pick out an Ulver album over any another band?

Case in point:

If I want Bergtatt, I could also probably go for Pale Folklore. If I want Kveldssanger, I could also probably go for Weiland. If I want Perdition City, I'd listen to my smoke alarm. And so forth.

Thing is, when I want to hear a Metallica album, there's few-to-no other bands that equally fit the bill. If I want RtL, I fucken go for RIDE THE LIGHTNING and crank up the volume.

So again, which Ulver albums would you choose over ANYTHING else in the same genre/style?

P.S. If you're suggesting that Metallica's "sell out" status/actions today have somehow magically deteriorated the quality of the first 4 albums, then feel free to explain how that works.

Merci.

JayKeeley said:
So to all you those voting for Ulver...what is it about Ulver that makes them THAT great?

In the current example with Ulver up against Metallica, I can obviously go out on a limb and assume that all the Metallica voters are judging that band by the first 4 albums.

KeA
RtL
MoP
AJfA

Those 4 albums define Metallica. No argument.

Which albums define Ulver to the point where you conciously pick out an Ulver album over any another band?

Case in point:

If I want Bergtatt, I could also probably go for Pale Folklore. If I want Kveldssanger, I could also probably go for Weiland. If I want Perdition City, I'd listen to my smoke alarm. And so forth.

Thing is, when I want to hear a Metallica album, there's few-to-no other bands that equally fit the bill. If I want RtL, I fucken go for RIDE THE LIGHTNING and crank up the volume.

So again, which Ulver albums would you choose over ANYTHING else in the same genre/style?

P.S. If you're suggesting that Metallica's "sell out" status/actions today have somehow magically deteriorated the quality of the first 4 albums, then feel free to explain how that works.

Merci.

Word.

Metallica is a classic as classic can get.

JayKeeley said:

Fuck. Yes. Bassicly prooves your entire point.

Thing is, I LIKE Ulver. There is no doubt "Bergtatt" is near-perfect. And even the non-metal stuff like "Quick Fix of Melancholy" is outstanding (surely one of the greatest EPs ever).

But come on, let's be serious here. 15 votes against Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and Justice is just brokeback wack!

I don't like Metallica, and that includes the early material. Goofy music for goofy people

Dick Sirloin said:
I don't like Metallica, and that includes the early material. Goofy music for goofy people
LIVING ON YOUR KNEES CONFORMITY
OR DYING ON YOUR FEET FOR HONESTY
INBRED OUR BODIES WORK AS ONE
BLOODIED BUT NEVER CRY SUBMISSION
FOLLOWING AN INSTINCT NOT A TREND
GO AGAINST THE GRAIN UNTIL THE END

BLOOD

WILL

FOLLOW

BLOOD

DYING

TIME

IS

HERE

Okay, okay... I admit that tracks like "Orion," "Creeping Death" and "Blackened" are great. But it's more fun to be inflammatory.

It's all fun and games until you realize that you're actually a real, honest-to-god fan of Kayo Dot, and that any joke you try to make is on YOU by default.

Dick Sirloin said:

I definitely recognize that some people don't like Priest, Sabbath, Maiden, and Metallica and prefer other METAL bands. But 15 people voting against them with a NON-METAL band like Ulver??? Eeeeiiiwrds.

It's kinda odd. It's like going into a car forum where people vote for a KIA over a BMW. I guess some people have to vote KIA, like soccer moms.

That analogy rules.

Ulver voters = soccer moms.

OK but seriously, a proper analogy would be like people going to a car forum and voting for a rusty old tin can filled with donkey pubes against a Mercedes S-Class with topless swimsuit model laying out in the back seat.

when it boils down to it... isn't it personal taste? Maybe some people, like penis "fag who dislike metallica" sirloin, just don't like metallica? (just kidding btw dick)

Some people just have different tastes... and some people just don't like a band, even though they really "should".

While I am a huge Ulver fan, the decisive factor in my voting is that I'm not a huge Metallica fan. That probably stems from the fact I'm not too fond of thrash. Had I been listening to metal in the 80's I'm sure that would be very different, but I wasn't, and while I appreciate a lot of classic stuff, Metallica just doesn't do it for me.

Additionally, surely comparing each individual Ulver album to other acts in that style is missing the point slightly. The defining characteristic of Ulver is that they didn't just get close (or not, depending on your view) to mastering the one style, they did it with several. While each individual album may not be up there with the best of that chosen style, for the same set of musicians to be responsible for such diversity and quality in the course of a decade does command some respect.