Metallica Thread

dorian gray

Returning videotapes
Apr 8, 2004
anyone heard of these guys?
haha seriously. im listening to "One" right now. this song TOTALLY FUCKING RULES
i havent listened to these fags since maybe '91,'92. in the 80s, i had a vinyl copy of "Ride the Lightning" and later on i had a cassette. haha i remember tossing it out the window of my car for some reason. guess i got sick of them.
anyway, what albums should i pick up? dont fucking laugh, im serious. i wasnt a big fan back in the day. i just recently learned the titles of their oldest albums :erk:

well, yeah. i bought that a few years back just to hear "one" again. but it doesnt count because i dont listen to the rest of the album. you caught me though ;)

edit: this marks the first time youve ever responded to one of my posts hahaha

ok ... i am taking kill'em all with me in car today ... on this fine spring day of fast driving and headbanging

whats the best album up to and including the "black album" or whatever the hell its called? ive probably heard every song, having grown up in the 80s but i couldnt tell which album they came from (ie i dont know a single song on kill 'em all)

will do. i rather liked the black album though. couldnt tell you the name of any album afterwards. load? re-load? something like that

I absolutely loathe "One", one of their worst songs (not topping the shit extravaganza that is "Nothing Else Matters", though) ever.

As for the good shit Metallica has put out - I really dig some songs from "Kill 'em All"; standout tracks are "Hit The Lights", "Motorbreath", "Whiplash" and "Metal Militia" (their finest moment). "Ride The Lightning" has got two super hits, namely "Call Of The Ktulu" and "Creeping Death". The rest of Metallica's discography, apart from the odd song here and there, doesn't interest me at all.

lurch70 said:
get all of them prior to the black album ...
Yep.
My favorite is Ride the Lightning, but all three have held the spot at some point.

Dorian -- Ride the Lightning was one of my first "extreme" metal albums. Up until that point, it was all Ozzy, Maiden, Queensryche etc. Metallica were my gateway to Thrash essentially.

Thing is, to this day, I still listen and love that shit. When we were in that bar the other night, we jammed as many dollars into the machine to hear songs from RtL etc.

Now Nate the Great will say, "ugggh, listening to the same shit is like having sex in one position all your life" but that analogy fails it.

A good analogy is thinking of metal as a fetish. Once you discover your fetish, you're good to go. :kickass:

No school like the Old School. :kickass:

yeah, im in nostalgia central right now with this stuff. haha i had my big brother paint the metallica insignia on my skateboard back in '87. good times

JayKeeley said:
Dorian -- Ride the Lightning was one of my first "extreme" metal albums. Up until that point, it was all Ozzy, Maiden, Queensryche etc. Metallica were my gateway to Thrash essentially.
You always remember your first, right? Mine was Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales. Sigh

dorian gray said:
thats crazy talk, man. how old are you? when "one" came out, it was omg

I'm 20. This is about personal taste, not age. I know that Black Sabbath were considered extreme back in the day, but I still dislike them.

Eminor said:
You always remember your first, right? Mine was Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales. Sigh

Heh, it was a pretty quick succession too. Something like:

Metallica > Slayer > Sepultura > Obituary

I'm pretty sure Obituary was my first album (tape) with death growls etc. Sepultura had the perfect balance though, just UNBELIEVABLE how good that album was*.

* no NAD, not Chaos AD, the other one*. :loco:

* no Erik, not Morbid Visions, the other one. *

* Yes lurch, Beneath the Remains. :loco: