Question to all the Ulver fans - what are you thinking?

Even I who appreciate both periods of Ulver (first three are better though) know that Metallica rules. I don't think anyone of this board dislike the first four Metallica albums. Just personal preference

p.s : this thread is gay because it's not off-topic plus nobody has answered yet.

JayKeeley said:
So again, what are you thinking? Explain to me, with some reasoning, why Ulver would beat Agalloch, Swans, Darkthrone, Empyrium, and Portishead?

Even opinions have to be supported with logic, and you haven't presented any. That's all I'm asking for, is some reference point as to where and why ULVER DESTORY THEIR CONTEMPORARIES.

Seriously, because I'll go pull all my Ulver off the shelf and attempt to see where your argument resides. Think of it as a recommendation post/thread.

Dude, read my post. I explained on, like, the first page, at least IMO :loco: And again, surely this is about taste, not who destroys who. So Metallica founded a genre - if that's a genre you're not too fond of, why not vote for a band you prefer?

Russell said:
Dude, read my post. I explained on, like, the first page, at least IMO :loco: And again, surely this is about taste, not who destroys who. So Metallica founded a genre - if that's a genre you're not too fond of, why not vote for a band you prefer?

Yeah, but in all fairness, I quoted Dick Sirloin based on what he directed at me.

Or am I to assume that you speak for Dick? :tickled:

My 2 cents: Empyrium is good, but waaaaaaaaaaaayyy overrated amongst this forum.

first 3 ulver>>>empyrium

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, but in all fairness, I quoted Dick Sirloin based on what he directed at me.

Or am I to assume that you speak for Dick? :tickled:

I don't know dick. :cool:

Haha, no, your reply seemed all inclusive about the circle jerking, so I wanted to point out that I had given an explanation why, in my mind, "ULVER SET THE BENCHMARK?" so you can stop complaining :p

Demilich said:
It goes something like this: BECAUSE HE LIKES THEM MORE. That is an extremely oversimplified explanation, but most people don't feel like they have to justify their individual frameworks and understandings of what constitutes good music.

Yeah, but then why even recognize the art of conversation? What do you have in a forum other than conversation?

You'll find that in the last 4 years or so of this forum's existence, it has been filled with, let's say, fans that are a little 'obsessive compulsive'. Fans that know exactly what they like, AND can back it up.

Maybe it's because RC was a webzine. We went out of our way to explain in detail why "album X" is great, how it compares to other music, blah blah. The RC forum is just a link from the RC webzine that no longer exists. It's a pretty simple off shoot.

I really, really, really hope that RC doesn't DEVOLVE into a forum where people say, "hey check out this band" without offering some insight as to why.

Funnier still is that most of the top 10 posters at UM are found here. I'm sure it's not for lack of time that people can't indulge in conversation.

JayKeeley said:
I really, really, really hope that RC doesn't DEVOLVE into a forum where people say, "hey check out this band" without offering some insight as to why.

Way to make me feel like shit for not writing anything on my recommendation thread. As if I didn't already feel like an ass for seeing the time some of you spent on them. :(

Russell said:
Haha, no, your reply seemed all inclusive about the circle jerking, so I wanted to point out that I had given an explanation why, in my mind, "ULVER SET THE BENCHMARK?" so you can stop complaining :p

No, actually, because I quoted Dick you can assume I directed my post to him and him only. You know, because of the whole "quote" functionality we have here at UM. Need me to go on? :lol:

Also, yeah I can see where YOU'RE coming from because I have a general understanding of your tastes, but come on, you are the exception not the rule. :)

Thanatopsis123 said:
Way to make me feel like shit for not writing anything on my recommendation thread. As if I didn't already feel like an ass for seeing the time some of you spent on them. :(

Nah, you provided links. People can figure it out.

But yeah, the whole point of the "recommendations" project was because (a) people stopped talking about music for a while, or rather fell into this "it rules" or "it sucks" without any reasoning, and (b) people felt like their recommendations weren't being checked out, hence the 'sticky' threads.

JayKeeley said:
No, actually, because I quoted Dick you can assume I directed my post to him and him only. You know, because of the whole "quote" functionality we have here at UM. Need me to go on? :lol:

Really, is that what that shit is for? :OMG: Nah, I replied because I'm procrastinating. I have an issue of ZT to complete, a 3500 word essay to write, and then 5 exams to revise for in 2 weeks time, so instead of making an impact on that I'm trying to kill time here. I'm just not quite as adept as NAD.

JayKeeley said:
Also, yeah I can see where YOU'RE coming from because I have a general understanding of your tastes, but come on, you are the exception not the rule. :)

Haha, is that just a nice way of calling me "special", like, in a special olympics way? :loco:

No it just means that I know you listen to gabba, techno, trip hop, The Future Sounds of London, noisecore, brutal death metal, zombie infused Necrophagia blargu, and Goblin.

See, I know where you're coming from. I know all the regulars. What doesn't add up is when regulars stray away from their personal 'profile'. I'm not even saying that's wrong, I'm just curious as to why.

That's all this thread ever asked for.

JayKeeley said:

I think that people should be able to feel free to discuss bands without being pressured to conform to the standard. This could actually create just as many opportunities for conversation as it removes.

And as for the evolution of the community, its out of the hands of the creators to some extent. You create a forum for conversation, it will take all kinds of forms, expected and unexpected. Broadening your understanding is one potential outcome, and I'd say that for me it is one of my primary motivations for showing up in this place.

My mind is racing today, I'm having trouble getting things written down coherently. Sorry if this all doesn't make much sense.

JayKeeley said:
No it just means that I know you listen to gabba, techno, trip hop, The Future Sounds of London, noisecore, brutal death metal, zombie infused Necrophagia blargu, and Goblin.

See, I know where you're coming from. I know all the regulars. What doesn't add up is when regulars stray away from their personal 'profile'. I'm not even saying that's wrong, I'm just curious as to why.

That's all this thread ever asked for.

Is that really what you asked in the first post tho? ;)

That said what you say does make sense, I too would be interested to know why, if there are people voting for Ulver who I wouldn't expect to in the poll. Not that I've been checking, so it may be that there aren't :zombie:

Oi, JayK, last night I was playing The Four Horseman with a massive amount of distortion at around 300bpm headbanging like fuck and it sorta made me want to change my vote to Metallica.

Sorta.

Yeah, looks like this conversation is happening in 2 or 3 places, but all I can see is what history teaches me.

RC forum:

7,500 threads
222,000 posts

I think I've got a good idea as to how this RC community works at least. Like I said, obsessive compulsive fans that somehow manage to get into such intricate detail as to why "x is x" and "y is y" and "Celtic Frost sucks" etc. :tickled:

It is kind of tough to keep track of mostly the same conversation in two or more threads. My fucking brain hurts. Can't we all just get along?

Russell said:
That said what you say does make sense, I too would be interested to know why, if there are people voting for Ulver who I wouldn't expect to in the poll.

Dude, that's ALL I'm saying. And look at this from NAD....

NADatar said:
Oi, JayK, last night I was playing The Four Horseman with a massive amount of distortion at around 300bpm headbanging like fuck and it sorta made me want to change my vote to Metallica.

:tickled:

Call it morbid curiosity when a non-metal band starts to beat a balls-to-the-wall heavy metal band in a metal tournament. And I get slammed for asking why. :loco:

People are getting their panties twisted as if I'm suggesting you're not entitled to your own opinion, sieg heil.

I thought the whole KIA vs BMW analogy solved that whole ambiguity. :loco: