2 ORPHEUS songs online - (Ermz/ Plec)

Cheers dude! Release date is 18th February! Pre-order details and other stuff will be up in a week! So no stress I'll make sure it gets posted here ;)

Cheers guys! Also, bare in mind, Ville Viljanen of Mors Principium Est is sharing vocals on Winds Of Change with me, so I can't take all the credit there :p

@habsburgs: Nawww... as a guitarist who attempts vocals.. that makes me happy in the pants dude! thanks haha

@dw: that's fucking rad dude! we aren't trying to limit ourselves and just be branded as 'insert gothenburg style band here', if scenecore kids, hardcore kids, black metal, who-the-fuck-ever like it, then we are happy! we just like writing upbeat catchy and sometimes intricate melodeath oriented metal! We aim for a large audience, hopefully we achieve that in the years to come on a large scale.

But hey, so far so good, this has been an epic experience for us, and the album isn't out yet haha!

Cheers Jeff! Yeah, I guess you could say 'proper' melodeath! We really are trying to make it interesting again and not derivative. So hopefully the album will help us stand out and start things for us on a great note :)

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the mix? I'm personally a mega fan of it haha! But seeing as we are on this forum for a reason :p??

Yeah hesitant to really go in depth as it doesn't detract from the music and I'm trying not to get super nit-picky at this point, but I'm just not into the drums. Snare is too verby/big in a radio-rock way, and the cymbals are too thin/washy for my liking. The whole thing just sounds kinda squashed, too much going on for the tones that were dialed in. Without synths it'd probably sound huge, but as soon as those start in there's not much note definition to any specific instrument.

Just mixed in too much of a 'big rock' way for the genre, IMO, but that's Ermz for you. Would've preferred some smaller/snappier drum tones, bigger/more present cymbals, and the synths really nicely present and defined.

Uhm, not really any master compression in play here, so you might be hearing something else. Maybe your room unless you're doing headphones. :Spin:

Hmm, yeah, listening on cans now, it's less apparent, but I still hear it in that section, specifically in the guitars - sounds to me like the palm mutes are really being pushed back at times, with the bass being the only thing that remains prominent, which makes me think the sub-lows that make it sound so mammoth are perhaps straining the limiter a bit. (EDIT: and oddly enough, it seems to be more apparent at lower listening levels)

However, I also will admit that I am indeed in an untreated room, so that's probably exaggerating the effect of the aforementioned sub-lows, which I once again must say make the bass sound absolutely ginormous :worship: Anyway, I promise that's the last I'll say on it, overall fantastic job all around, and in all seriousness, I'm more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the guy that mastered "Holographic Universe" :headbang: /asskissing

@Jeff: No issue dude, say how you feel tis all good! And I agree with you entirely about the how you describe the mix, trying to be rock-esque etc. That's definitely Ermins vibe lately but it's definitely one we embrace. We started out aiming for the Dt - Fiction sort of mix, but as time went on, the bass got bigger, the drums got bigger, the synths got more epic... so it just lead to the mix you hear now.

And yeah man, I totally understand that you might expect the mix you're speaking of, and it makes sense. But with this one, we really wanted a huge mix that wasn't your typical popcorn snare melodeath mix. Not that they are bad, I love the fiction mix, but this one grew into it's own beast which was great :)

@Marcus: It's probably the guitars completely dude... the amount of fucking 250hz build up because of the room was used ridiculous, and I palmed the FUCK out of that bit in winds of change! So it makes sense haha! Totally an issue from our end not Plecs though :p

yeah man! The bass pretty much has the kitchen sink thrown at it! It's becoming a little signature Ermz at this point haha! It's like Sansamp + MXR + fucking whatever else :p

Listened to this too much at work today and will continue again at home once this thunderstorm fucks off and I can turn my monitors on!

Loving it and can't wait for the release party!

Had a feeling this would be a love or hate affair the moment I first heard the finals back. The really cool thing I think is that it's a distinctive sound for the band, and that's a very important thing forging on in these genres lined with generic acts.

I usually know I'm on the right track when Jeff hates it! :lol:

Congrats on the launch Chris and Co. Hope this one does well by you... I'll be hanging some of my hopes on it, if you don't mind, and hope we're able to take Melbourne a notch or two higher in terms of metal renown.

Awesome music and awesome production!
Expecially liking the vocals, both performance/style and the way they're mixed!

Pure WIN

I forgot before, but I want to throw a huge +1 to Plec, who did every neurotic revision we (I) asked for until we were satisfied the end product represented our vision. You just don't get that same crazy work ethic in many engineers!.

and @CJ: The guitars were a funny one here. Of course you have a great ear and hear the inherent issues we experienced. Chris knows the true extent of my trials and tribulations in regards to working with them... and Plec also has seen the fabled screenshots of the chain. Still kinda cool that we managed to pull off a Mark IV for melodeath at all though innit? Cheers for the other comments... I was really hoping you'd dig this one, man! It's the most analogue thing I've done by far. Printed the outboard comps on almost everything, and Nebula is all over the place, doing tape and console saturation.

Holly shit, so when does Ermz get to go back and mix the last and first few Mors albums like this?
Sounds tits on proper speakers here guys. Major props!

Fuck Chris sounds so much like Ville on this (both tracks)!! I can't really tell them appart.

Really nice job! I love the music! Production wise I think the main issue I have with are the guitars and cymbals, everything else is literally spot on! Also on Unscathed, I really dislike that ride cymbal, it has almost no tone nor sustain to it, that was probably due to the cymbal itself or the processing that I'm sure you needed to do Ermz.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone envolved, this is an excellent release!