20+ minutes maybe?

Tubbs

Bi-weekly top album:
Nov 5, 2005
Sanford, Maine
decayingcontinuum.bandcamp.com
Hey everybody, this is my first post at the forums. I have been a supporter of Opeth for about 2 years and have all 8 of their albums, including the dvd. Anyway, my question is, does anyone think Opeth will ever record another 20+ minute song again? I really like long songs (Black rose Immortal, of course) and It makes me sad that they haven't recorded one since Morningrise! Not that the other albums aren't as good , but still... :)

- The fattest guitarist on the face of the earth

If its as good as Black Rose Immortal then yeah! I just don't think its their style so much anymore, but they may change and only make 20 minute + songs, so who knows what their future will hold. Besides Opeth of course.

Opeth's sound has obviously underwent a critical change of atmosphere since the days of Morningrise. It would be pretty zeta to hear another 20+ song though...

their songs now are still long ... but I think they would record such a long one, if Mikael created a song that long ... it depends on what he thinks off, on what his ideas can become.
and black rose immortal isn't really one song if you ask me, it's a story told by putting different pieces of music together.

Well Black Session the reason BRI doesn't sound like it's trudging to try to make the 20 mark is because it's obviously put together very well and has a very atmospheric quality that allows the song to flow regardless of the length

I think if they were to do a 20+ minute song, it would be very forced. With Opeth's new sound, it seems that shorter songs are suiting them more and more.

I'd be all for a one-song-album. One 60 minute track. That'd be really good if done well.

That is a brilliant idea!!! I was actually thinking something like that, or perhaps 2 30ish minute songs, which would go nicely on LPs, which Mikael seems to love so much! I don't know if Roadrunner would approve, I don't think they could cut that for a video, but it would be seriously amazing!

Moonlapse said:
I think if they were to do a 20+ minute song, it would be very forced. With Opeth's new sound, it seems that shorter songs are suiting them more and more.

I'd be all for a one-song-album. One 60 minute track. That'd be really good if done well.

Sort of like Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick"? Interesting idea.

I remember the first time I heard BRI I kept looking down at my CD player and thinking, "This is still the same song?" So, I would say it is more like a bunch of songs linked together.

Well, I mean it's not really a novel idea. It's been done in the metal scene before, to some nice effect. What I like about the one-song-albums is that it forces the authors to think of the music as a journey, as opposed to a collection of riffs. Opeth have already shown signs of that with Ghost Reveries though. The songs flow unlike any of the material they've put out in the past. I think if the next album were to consist of one large song, it could be a fantastic thing.

I agree with Moonlapse there, it's amazing how some (obviously deaf) people claim that Opeth have gone towards a more "verse-chorus"-oriented songwriting. All the "Opethian" songs on GR (GoP, BotH, BtM, HF) have extremely progressive arrangements, Ghost of Perdition is probably the only one of them which has any repetition. If only they had done an album's length of those kind of songs!

Yeah, lots of people agree, it would certainly be interesting to hear another big song. By the way, I really got to hear that "Thick as a Brick" because I hear it's 40 minutes long! And as for one song albums, yeah that would be certainly interesting. I have heard Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness, and with the acapella part aside (I just don't seem to like it) the other 55 minutes of the song is incredible!

@Tubbs: how about a photo to substantiate the claim your sig makes? Bigger than Leslie "The Mountain" West? :) It would make a great avatar....

All I can say is that 20 min Opeth songs are a thing of the past, and like others have said, BRI is more like a compilation of 2-3 songs that don't really sound anything much alike. Great song though.