20+ minutes maybe?

soundave said:
@Tubbs: how about a photo to substantiate the claim your sig makes? Bigger than Leslie "The Mountain" West? :) It would make a great avatar....

Haha.... okay maybe I am kind of hyperbolizing... but I could get a picture of my 450 pound friend and just say he plays guitar! Hahaha jk. Yeah, I'm actually only about 210 pounds and '5"6, but I ask people to call me tubby for kicks and giggles. Maybe I could change my sig... to... Somewhat Fat Guitarist!

P.S. (It's a little hard for me to run 10 miles to my music store) Lol! :D

affinityband said:
I reckon doing a huge song would be an excellent thing to release to a 'popular ' audience. It would certantly bring a whole new dimension to whole load of other people.

The Mars Volta did it with Cassandra Gemini, and seems that it was certainly received well. But I agree with moonlapse, any attempt at a 20 minute song would sound forced now. BRI was early in their careers, mikael was probably brimming with ideas, it probably just came naturally out of him. Now it would be more like "ok i think ill try and write a 20 minute song". Basically he does what comes natural to him, and I don't think a 20 minute song is natural anymore. But who knows but mikael.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Haha.... okay maybe I am kind of hyperbolizing... but I could get a picture of my 450 pound friend and just say he plays guitar! Hahaha jk. Yeah, I'm actually only about 210 pounds and '5"6, but I ask people to call me tubby for kicks and giggles! Maybe I could change my sig... to... Just another fat guitarist!

P.S. It's a little hard for me to run 10 miles to my music store! Lol. :D

Somewhat fat guitarist! Lmao!

I know my thread should be dead by now, but can anybody give me a list of all the 15+ minute songs they know? Here is a bunch I already have: (In Order of length, too!)

15 - 30 Minutes:
- Dogs (Pink Floyd) 17:08
- Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pink Floyd) 17:32
- Hemispheres (Rush) 18:04
- The Fountain Of Lamneth (Rush) 19:38
- Black Rose Immortal (Opeth) 20:41
- 2112 (Rush) 21:33
- A Change Of Seasons (Dream Theater) 23:11
- Echoes (Pink Floyd) 23:29
- Atom Heart Mother (Pink Floyd) 23:44
- Octavarium (Dream Theater) 23:44
- The Oddyssey (Symphony X) 24:13
- Achilles, Agony And Ecstasy In Eight Parts (Manowar) 28:37

31 - 55 Minutes:
- Crimson (Edge Of Sanity) 40:00?
- Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (Dream Theater) 42:04
- Dark Side Of The Moon (Pink Floyd) 42:50
- Sol Niger Within (Fredrik Thordendal) 43:00?
- Thick As A Brick (Jethro Tull) 43:48
- A Passion Play (Jethro Tull) 44:58

56 - 75 Minutes:
- Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness (Green Carnation) 60:14
- Dopesmoker (Sleep) 62:49

75 - 100 Minutes:
- Scenes From A Memory (Dream Theater) 78:00

I got some of these songs with some help, obviously!

BTW, sorry I edited all my posts here! I don't want to sound Uber-N00Bish.

There are some Porcupine Tree songs that are 15+. The different phases of Voyage 34 and some stuff from The Sky Moves Sideways if I remember correctly.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I know my thread should be dead by now, but can anybody give me a list of all the 15+ minute songs they know? Here is a bunch I already have: (In Order of length, too!)

15 - 30 Minutes:
- Dogs (Pink Floyd) 17:08
- Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pink Floyd) 17:32
- Hemispheres (Rush) 18:04
- The Fountain Of Lamneth (Rush) 19:38
- Black Rose Immortal (Opeth) 20:41
- 2112 (Rush) 21:33
- A Change Of Seasons (Dream Theater) 23:11
- Echoes (Pink Floyd) 23:29
- Atom Heart Mother (Pink Floyd) 23:44
- Octavarium (Dream Theater) 23:44
- The Oddyssey (Symphony X) 24:13
- Achilles, Agony And Ecstasy In Eight Parts (Manowar) 28:37

31 - 55 Minutes:
- Crimson (Edge Of Sanity) 40:00?
- Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (Dream Theater) 42:04
- Dark Side Of The Moon (Pink Floyd) 42:50
- Sol Niger Within (Fredrik Thordendal) 43:00?
- Thick As A Brick (Jethro Tull) 43:48
- A Passion Play (Jethro Tull) 44:58

56 - 75 Minutes:
- Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness (Green Carnation) 60:14
- Dopesmoker (Sleep) 62:49

75 - 100 Minutes:
- Scenes From A Memory (Dream Theater) 78:00

I got some of these songs with some help, obviously!

BTW, sorry I edited all my posts here! I don't want to sound Uber-N00Bish.

By Yes: "Close to the Edge", from the album with the same name is 18 minutes long

I'd like opeth to have an even long song .. split into sections like A Change Of Seasons. Maybe have it like Dreamtheater did for 6 Degrees.. have 2 cds -..say 5 songs on the 1st disc and 1 fuck off huge song on the 2nd :)

i don´t really consider multiple "parts" of a song to be one song. and i hope opeth never falls for such lame progg ideas. IMO if it apears on a CD as different tracks when read on your CD player, it is different tracks. Otherwise opeth has already made a 50+ minutes song called MAYH.

Korlich said:
i don´t really consider multiple "parts" of a song to be one song. and i hope opeth never falls for such lame progg ideas. IMO if it apears on a CD as different tracks when read on your CD player, it is different tracks. Otherwise opeth has already made a 50+ minutes song called MAYH.

I don't think that's a lame idea... :erk: