2005 is over...what did you learn?

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
So what did you guys learn this past year? Several things for me, mostly common sense issues:

1) Wow, correctly tuning drums really DOES make a big difference.

2) When it comes to good guitar tones, despite all different characteristics and factors involved, when you really get down to it it all comes down to the midrange.

3) Changing the position of your picking hand on the bridge even just a tiny bit can make a huge difference in the clarity of your tone (and the amount of gain you need to dial in).

4) I've heard it said before, but the same mic, etc. setup on the same source can work great one day, but not so great on a different day for whatever reason.

I'm sure there are lots of other things, but these are a few that come to mind. How about the rest of ya?

Metal new year,

Nitronium Blood said:
I have learnt that the statement "It's not what you know, it's who you know"... is really really really how the world works.
He...he...he.... 98% true!
I learned quite a few busy tips and also some stuff from here. But mostly I learned more when I was off the internet, than when I was on it!!!

Be safe tonight friends!!!!!!!

GORILLA

Matt Smith said:
So what did you guys learn this past year? Several things for me, mostly common sense issues:

1) Wow, correctly tuning drums really DOES make a big difference.

I'm glad someone was paying attention :)

Crap I've learned this year:

1) Marshall cabs with 75 watt Celestions are for Country, not Metal.

2) The Audix i5 is an awesome mic

3) The D6 is just as great too.

4) I should have bought a 5150 ten years ago

5) I should have bought a v30 cab at that same time

6) Tubescreamers rock on single mic rhythm tracks & leads

7) I should have joined this forum ages ago, you guys are great

8) It's worth the 4 hour drive to get my stuff mastered at Lacquer Channel

9) Mulitband compression is an absolute must on heavy rhythm tracks

10) The dual 57 Flying V mic technique (sort of like the Pai Mei 5 Point Palm Exploding Heart technique for recording guitars)

I can only hope I learn even more in 2006.

-0z-

• I learned my M-Audio 1010's were kiddie toys compared to my RME FF800.
  • I learned I still can't get a great recorded guitar sound.
  • I learned as I get older, it is harder for me to do fast double bass.
  • I learned Andy Sneap is a true genius.
  • I learned James Murphy is quite a genius himself.
  • I learned Zakk Wylde and company are greedy assholes.
  • I learned that playing my e-kit is now more fun than playing my acoustic kit.
  • I learned that I can't tolerate metal-throat vocals like I used to.
  • I learned to never buy gear from zzounds.com again.
  • I learned that spending 15K on software a year is an expensive habit. Curse them bastards at East West. :)
  • I learned Ben Schigel is truly underrated as a producer and all around nice guy.

1. BFD - sux
2. Experiment to get the sound
3. Drums !! OzNimbus awesome sharing of information.
4. Guitar EQ C4 !
5. Hide all software/hardware purchases from the Mrs !!

i've learned that in this business(producer/engineer/) at least 3 "E's" are vital: EXPERIENCE, EQUIPMENT, EARS (no particular order). andy and james has them for sure :D

1. Mixing drums is hard. Getting a fat snare sound without samples is harder.
2. If you don't get a good guitar sound without any processing, no amount of EQ and compression is going to save you.
3. It doesn't matter how you get the sound, just get it.

1) Framus Cobra is an amazing amp

2) C4 on guitars = Clarity

3) 5150s are great

4) always record a 2nd DI for bass if using a Sansamp bass driver ( rackmount RBIversion )

5) Get the sounds u want exactly during tracking , never leave it to the mix stage

6) mix as you go , u save heaps of time later .

7) Reverb is one of the biggest tools to be mastered well and is one of the biggest difference between a pro sound and a home sound next to low end .

I learned not to buy future releases from Children Of Bodom, I learned Rusty Cooley is an amazing shredder, I learned it sux having to record the same song 1000 times in order to familuarize yourself with the software, always over looking something then having to go back and redo it...lol ummm and I don't much care for squash...lol

OzNimbus said:
1) Marshall cabs with 75 watt Celestions are for Country, not Metal.

-0z-

Have I missed something?:err:

Ah, yeah, I have learned something:

Don't trust so called pro-people who call themself your 'friend'.
Be sure to be 'prepayed' from this 'friends' or you'll never see a dime.

I've learned how to build a DAW! Getting started, gear, gear, gear and more gear. Plug-ins like waves and east coast. I've learned how to use a mac and DP.
I've learned about the 5150, tube screamer, emg 81 & 85, line 6 pod, audix i5, e609, caparison, schecter, esp and boogie cabs w/v30's.

I've learned that Nevermore is pretty kick ass. Better late then never!

Thanks guys!

Frank'nfurter said:
Have I missed something?:err:

I wound up doing a Celtic/Country/Bluegrass album a while back, and the guitar player brought in was exceptionally skilled. We put his Tele thru my Recto on the cleanest setting possible, then thru the Marshall 75s, and got a wonderful sound.

But, for metal guitars, the v30s smoke the 75s.

Don't be too picky or snob or whatever about gear really, don't forget for instance that Nevermore's "Dead Heart in a Dead World" was done on those 75w speakers, or Testament "The Gathering" recorded on 16 bits ADAT, etc etc... And those records sound... well, you know it... :worship:

Gear is a tool, not an end... From my own experience, I did some great guitar recording with a Trace Eliot amp, and had a VHT and a Peavey XXX to sound pretty disappointing... :ill: Why ? Because the most important thing is not "what" you're recording, but "who" you're recording. And it works for all instruments (drums, guitars, vocals, bass...), in all cases (well, almost... I don't want to deal with absolutes cause only Sith do... :)).

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Don't be too picky or snob or whatever about gear really, don't forget for instance that Nevermore's "Dead Heart in a Dead World" was done on those 75w speakers, or Testament "The Gathering" recorded on 16 bits ADAT, etc etc... And those records sound... well, you know it... :worship:

Gear is a tool, not an end... From my own experience, I did some great guitar recording with a Trace Eliot amp, and had a VHT and a Peavey XXX to sound pretty disappointing... :ill: Why ? Because the most important thing is not "what" you're recording, but "who" you're recording. And it works for all instruments (drums, guitars, vocals, bass...), in all cases (well, almost... I don't want to deal with absolutes cause only Sith do... :)).

You're preaching to the choir, Brett! :D Believe me, I understand your philosophy. I wasn't trying to be a snob, I was merely stating my observations over the last year or so. I've got both cabs on hand, and these days anyway, for metal, the v30s get used 95% of the time.
-0z-

things I learned in 2005:

- power tube saturation is categorically vital to recording dirty guitar (if you want it to sound good).
- the most important and necessary tools to audio production are the common ones: EQ, compression, delay, reverb etc..
- otek is the finest human being around.
- sub-mix busses are phenomenally useful
- XLR cables can be linked together without an adapter *snicker*
- people actually use and get good results with Shure SM57's
- the more I learn the more I realize I don't know.