2005 - So far, so good... so, what next?

As mentioned by many Nile, Opeth, and Primordial are up there, although I find Primordial to be a bit overrated, but still good.

Origin - Echoes of Decimation was pretty good I thought. I liked it better than III, but after hearing how nice the production on Annihilation of the Wicked was, it sort of lessened my opinion of Echoes.

The Karl Sanders album and Drudkh were both disappointing, but not really surprising.

Octavarium was derivative and bad.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing is right about on par with previous efforts, so it's pretty good.

Somberlain said:
Favourites so far:

Macabre Omen - The Ancient Returns
Ondskapt - Dodens Evangelium
Deathspell Omega - Kenose
Deathspell Omega - Mass Grave Aesthetics
Morte Incandescente/Onirik - Our Funeral Yet To Come
Hell Militia - Canonisation Of The Foul Spirit
Ad Hominem - Climax Of Hatred
Glorior Belli - O Laudate Dominus

Disappointments:

Baptism - Morbid Wings Of Sathanas
Satanic Warmaster- Carelian Satanist Madness
Hate Forest - Sorrow

Haven't heard much else. Hopefully we'll be treated to a new Hail or Faustcoven album this year.

ah yes, I forgot Hell Militia. That is a pretty disgusting work of art. I can't see how you can find the new SW to be disappointing, though?

My picks :

The Evpatoria Report
- Golevka
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Geisterfaust
Red Sparowes
- At the Soundless Dawn
Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
Pantheïst - Amartia
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Deathspell Omega - Kénôse
Drudkh - The Swan Road
Taake - ...Doedskvad
Dredg - Catch Without Arms

Perdition's Light said:
ah yes, I forgot Hell Militia. That is a pretty disgusting work of art. I can't see how you can find the new SW to be disappointing, though?

It's not bad, and I definitely haven't given it a proper listen, but I just found some of melodies extremely out of place and irritating. A lot of them have an almost "happy" sound which doesn't fit in with the otherwise raw, sorrowful black metal. Just overall disappointment from the band who released Strength And Honour. I was also on a huge death metal binge when I bought it, so perhaps I'll give it a better listen tonight.

Somberlain said:
Haven't heard much else. Hopefully we'll be treated to a new Hail or Faustcoven album this year.

I'm almost 100% positive that Hail is loyal to Barbarian Wrath, and the only scheduled albums to be out by the end of the year are:

September:

Anael - On Wings Of Mercury
Death Beast - The Wakening
Tearstained - Monumental In Its Sorrow (rerecording with more tracks than original)

December:

Countess - Ancient Lies And Battlecries

I have no idea if Megiddo - The Holocaust Messiah will be out by year's end, but I wouldn't bet on it. As for Faustcoven, I'm not sure, but I don't think they'll have one out by the end of the year, though I know one has been planned.

Okay, the Devin Townsend album won't be out until start of 2006, so that will be the first thing I buy in '06 as opposed to being a completing gem for '05.

Guthrum said:
Crotchduster's new album is supposedly coming out in September.

Nice, it will be funny for a good while then get old fast. The dave mustaine impression on the last album was fucking hilarious, i almost pissed my pants laughing.

Varg Vikernes said:
Also a worthy mention goes to the best non-metal album of the year, The Mars Volta's "Frances the Mute"

Amen, although something in the back of my mind says "thats not right!"....

I haven't heard the pelican one yet, but I trust that it kicks ass judging from their previous work. Catch 33 was a pleasent surprise for me, don't hear many albums in formats like that nowadays. With teeth is a non-metal dissapointment to me. Mostly been catching up on older albums this year, nothing against this new stuff....