2010 MUSIC

Based on things I've read on how long Tool takes in studio, I just don't feel like anything can come out within a mere year of this point without us already having some info.

Anathema could be cool but honestly all their albums besides Judgment have always been a little hit-or-miss for me. Agalloch I like better but I always stop just short of absolutely loving their releases. If they do more acoustic-heavy work though I like their chances on my list :)

Theoretically, we should get news from Enslaved next year, as they haven't gone two full years without releasing an album yet. Again, they don't have any nearly perfect albums, but their last two had several godly tracks each, so that could be a treat.

Alcest shall be cool.

Opeth/Akerfeldt...I don't really think either will be released next year but I'm more excited about the Akerfeldt solo album personally.

I have no clue (like everyone else) what DsO is doing, but a release from them would make life worth living next year. Also Esoteric or Dead Congregation releasing would just completely make my year, Dead Congregation being far more likely.

10000 days + emotive + puscifer = how maynard made me turn my back on tool, even tho i still have/wear all the merch

@lat14 opeth pretty much is an akerfeldt solo project since lopez got kicked I M O

what im looking forward to

Sun Caged
Symphony-x
Veil of Maya
RIVERSIDE DVD
Dark Tranquillity
Mors principium est
Martriden
Sun Caged
Sun Caged
Day and then the shade single?
a Stephen Wilson project

Ok, you don't like a few records so you turned your back? More of Lyre's astounding logic. I dunno why it become cool to hate 10,000 Days, but that record is greatness. eMOTIVe was just a little bonus for the fans, and I enjoy it for what it is. Pucifer is pretty garbage, but so what?

I think by this point they aren't going to release a Day and then single. They'll prolly just release the next single, "The Longest Year." But who knows maybe they'll end up doing one for Day and then so they can add in that music video that everyone loves so much.

eMotive is cool.. Imagine as a downer - I enjoy that. Also, whats all this hate for Puscifer? Sure, isn't metal, but hey.. tracks like Moma Sed really bring out his voice.

I want some more Anathema. Other then that.. I really don't know. Hope some bands surprise me.

10,000 Days is their worst album but is still godly and unique imo.

And on the Akerfeldt thing, I'm talking about his plans to do a solo acoustic album; if done right that would easily win the year imo. Opeth has been "pretty much an akerfeldt solo project" since Peter stopped contributing to the writing around Still Life or so, and I really don't see what Martin Lopez has to do with anything. I would expect Per and Fredrik to contribute more ideas in the next album though as they begun to do with Watershed.

And on the Akerfeldt thing, I'm talking about his plans to do a solo acoustic album; if done right that would easily win the year imo. Opeth has been "pretty much an akerfeldt solo project" since Peter stopped contributing to the writing around Still Life or so, and I really don't see what Martin Lopez has to do with anything. I would expect Per and Fredrik to contribute more ideas in the next album though as they begun to do with Watershed.
if it was acoustic then it might be pretty godly

Ok, you don't like a few records so you turned your back? More of Lyre's astounding logic. I dunno why it become cool to hate 10,000 Days, but that record is greatness. eMOTIVe was just a little bonus for the fans, and I enjoy it for what it is. Pucifer is pretty garbage, but so what?

I think by this point they aren't going to release a Day and then single. They'll prolly just release the next single, "The Longest Year." But who knows maybe they'll end up doing one for Day and then so they can add in that music video that everyone loves so much.

well seeing that there was a time were i was the biggest tool fan on earth, and lateralus was the greatest album of all time for me when it came out and i would check the website day in and day out for the update on the new album for YEARS then when it finally came out................ i mean its o k but it just wasn't as artistic or flat out good as half of anything they'd done before it. i also loooooved APC, easily the best side project from my favorite band, but emotive showed that they had run out of inspiration (at the time) then maynard released puscifer and i heard queen b (second half) and the layering maynard vocals sounded awsome. "HOPE REMAINS!" i cried but bought the album and it is the most unentertaining immature pile of sludge ive ever bought. it was just a triple whammey, one after the other, thats why i could care less what mjk does now, but if there WAS another apc studio release (not gonna happen) and it is on the calibur of 13th and MdN (even less likely) then maybe ill have a change of heart.
I hope they stick with day and then the shade not the longest year.

if it was acoustic then it might be pretty godly

well seeing that there was a time were i was the biggest tool fan on earth, and lateralus was the greatest album of all time for me when it came out and i would check the website day in and day out for the update on the new album for YEARS then when it finally came out................ i mean its o k but it just wasn't as artistic or flat out good as half of anything they'd done before it. i also loooooved APC, easily the best side project from my favorite band, but emotive showed that they had run out of inspiration (at the time) then maynard released puscifer and i heard queen b (second half) and the layering maynard vocals sounded awsome. "HOPE REMAINS!" i cried but bought the album and it is the most unentertaining immature pile of sludge ive ever bought. it was just a triple whammey, one after the other, thats why i could care less what mjk does now, but if there WAS another apc studio release (not gonna happen) and it is on the calibur of 13th and MdN (even less likely) then maybe ill have a change of heart.
I hope they stick with day and then the shade not the longest year.

If 10,000 days were acoustic? wtf?

By the way, 10,000 Days was pure musical win.

That's a contradicting statement. How is that album not a Lateralus pt2. It has the same guitar/bass sounds andproduction, no new riff styles or atmosphere, you could splice those songs and mix them into Lateralus to make it a double disc. AENIMA and Lateralus has a big difference on the overall sound of the albums. 10,000 days brings nothing new to the table, its rehashed Lateralus shit.

Mike's pretty much wrote everything for Opeth, Peter never contributed anything past MorningRise, I found this interview, its really fucking harsh i think, but honest, maybe too honest

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it contradicting? By worst I mean least good (amazing).

And no one's disputing that about Opeth.

Heliotropic Rose:
For the record, I know Peter wrote the absolutely lovely clean guitar part in Dirge for November. So to say he didn't contribute anything past Morningrise is not right. And let's not forget his solos, though he contributed only one to Ghost Reveries, it is by far my favourite onthe record (the ending solo in Beneath the Mire). Porcelain Heart (which was co-written by Åkesson) is probably my least favourite Opeth song ever. In fact I think its pretty damn bad.

Looking forward to these in 2010:
Ulver (hopefully)
Porcupine Tree DVD
Mikael Åkerfeldt solo album (hopefully)
Agalloch
Enslaved
Jónsi solo album (singer from Sigur Rós for those who didn't know)
APC tracks (if the rumours are true)
Shining VII (as long as it's better than Klagopsalmer)
Burzum - Den Hvite Guden (could be shit, could be great.)
Cult of Luna (they are releasing a book with music to accompany it. Again, could be shit, could be great.)