2013: CONSTRUCT

Ohhhh very nice; I didn't know it was limited to 100, less than the white one. How many LPs are there, 3, 4 or5? Grey, Black, Red… and?

The grey LP + 7", limited to 300 copies. :kickass:

Here it is:

fHeabRE.jpg

I want to see the coveeeer! :p I hate the normal cover, to be honest haha.

My package has arrived (for some reason I'll have to pay CAD 20 to FedEx), so as soon as I finish the trip I'll have it in my greedy hands.

And the more I listen to Construct, the more I love it; slowly thinking this might be the best DT album… ever?

I also think Construct could be their best album yet. It combines everything I love about Projector, Haven and Damage Done, while carving out new sonic territory.

I'll need to let the album age a bit before I decide, but it's certainly their best release in over a decade.

I also think Construct could be their best album yet. It combines everything I love about Projector, Haven and Damage Done, while carving out new sonic territory.

I'll need to let the album age a bit before I decide, but it's certainly their best release in over a decade.

I'm debating if it's better than Character; the feelings I get from both albums are different, so I'm not sure if I can compare them; with the former I feel quite hopeless, whilst with the latter I feel quite hopeful at times.

New poll!

Compare with Through Smudged Lenses:

These walls are protecting us
Burn them to the ground
This haven of refuge
Burn it to the ground
So smudge the lens a little
muffle the voice phase out of sound a while and let it go
citizens of choice in a twilight world of your design
left to our devices we stumble on

----
Silence in Between:
The walls are coming down
All we need is
One to fail, one to break
One to take it all away
What if we crumble,
What if we fall
Where is the flame
That torch the soul
Truth when spoken
Dies down to nothing
----

Which again makes me more convinced that this is a slightly more "hopeful" DT album.

Really liking the new album Construct so far, early favourite song is the silence in between. this is the album that should have been the follow up to fiction imo. listening to stanne's clean vocals it seems possible, but not likely the band could go down the katatonia route. DT are back !

After giving myself some time to become familiar with the album I've come to the conclusion that Construct is another really good effort by DT overall but I think it's not their best. There are just some songs/parts on this album that don't really get me. Nothing REALLY bad but quite some flaws. I think it has some songs that really feel different and fresh in a good way, some with a usual feeling but also some that I cannot really be friends with so far.

Stannes vocals are stunning throughout the whole album especially the clean ones, everything is fine with drums/bass too. I'm not overly satisfied with the guitar work in some songs though (maybe there's not enough Henriksson for me on this release). On the keyboard side I'm sometimes missing the piano-stuff from Fiction, otherwise it's solidly good, sometimes to dominant maybe where it needs to fill in for the guitars.

Songs that don't really work for me up until now:
For Broken Words, which just passes by without much Highlights, best part is the opening guitar melody (It growed on me over the past weeks since release though and might leave this list with a few more spins or after hering it live).

Apathetic, even though it is probably the most guitar driven song on the album. The riffing partly feels rather bland to me. Like the pre-chorus Section though and the beginning of the verse. I'm really disliking the part from 2:16-2:46, just gives me nothing.

None Becoming, which leaves me pretty cold, probably the closest DT can get to writing a bad song :/ Need to give it more spins though, as I've not really given it much of a chance so far. Iridium left me cold as well for quite some time, now I love it, so there is always hope ;)
Actually while listening to it again right now as I'm writing this I think it has some good parts to it, so it will probably just need more time. Won't turn into a favourite though.

Now for the other ones ;)

The Sience of Noise hast a pretty 90s feel to it in some parts (especially the bridge, love it!) and has really neat guitar work on the whole song. One of the Highlights for me even though the Chorus doesn't stand out as much as it could be from the magnificient verse&bridge.

Uniformity leaves me with a little bit of biased feelings about the verse but it's all turning very good with this infectious chorus melody. After the intro the verse starts with a little dissonant feeling that I'm not so fond of. It turns way better in the second part of the verse when the piano part kicks in followed by a beautiful chorus. Outro is a bit too long maybe, but good. Like this one :)

I absolutely love The Silence in Between! Everything about this Song is what I like to hear. It maybe could use a bit more of a build-up in the beginning but this is not something I would criticize. Splendid guitar work, crushing drums, a little cooldown in between, melodic but still heavy chorus. Best song on the album.

What Only You Know starts with kind of over-dominant keyboards, which is also the only flaw this song has got throughout (ending part of the first chorus!). Again we've got amazing vocals by Mikael, be it clean or rough. The little bridge has a nice feeling to it, also the chorus. Very good song overall with some minor flaws.

When I first heard the beginning of Endtime Hearts I think I thought "Ouch, what is this?!" (up until around 15 or 20 seconds in). Pretty horrible start, which goes into a verse that is saved by the good vocals. The "chugging" (don't know if this is the right word for this) riff in the verse is something I'll probably never like about this song or in general wherever something like this appears. Everything turns better though with the calm pre-chorus which really leads well into the energetic chorus. Cool solo followning the second chorus, would've liked to hear more of these. Nice transition into the pre-chorus too.
A very good song all in all even though I'm not too fond of the verse.

I really like the calm beginning of State of Trust, with those beautiful cleans again, the guitar becoming more domniant after a while...and then it's suddenly disrupted after 49 seconds. The part from 0:49-1:03 is saved once again by the vocals and this time also by the synths which fit this part pretty well. Don't like the riffing here again. When it turns more "fluid" again for the second part of the chorus it is much more to my liking and just fits the song better imho. I'm a fan of this song but this pre-chorus riff is just too disruptive to be enjoyable for me. The variation in the chorus (turning rough vocals into clean ones in the 2nd and 3rd one) is also a neat addition.
One of my absolute favourites on Construct despite the things I dislike about it.

Again some chuggy riffs in Weight of the End but those are outweighed by far by the good parts ;). All in all good riffing in this one leading to a catchy chorus and and a neat melodic bridge / outro which pleases my ears very much :)

Uff, didn't think I'd write so much but just couldn't reduce it to one-liners ^^

Edit: Have just listened to the Bonus Songs once so far, need to give Immemorial some more spins before judging it but it left me with a good feeling when I listened to it.
Photon Dreams felt kind of unnecessary to me.

State of Trust is perfect, how dare you criticise it??? ;)

Because I like it when music flows. I'm not a fan of either dissonant or a-rhytmic stuff ;)
I mean I do like variable rhythms but this change is just too hard in my opinion. Just kicks you out of the song for a moment and this is not what should happen I think ^^

Anyone know first week sales numbers? DT made a few entries on Billboard US: #171 on the Billboard 200, #3 on Heatseekers, and #12 on Hard Rock Albums. I hope this means more than one headlining tour in North America.

Oh man, I saw that they were #3 on Heatseekers, but I didn't realize they'd placed in the Billboard 200. That's incredible! Unfortunately, I think that means they're off the Heatseekers chart next week and they won't ever be eligible for it again, since Heatseekers is reserved for artists who have never placed in the top 200. Either way, that's incredible news for the band and it makes me very happy.

As for North American tours: I'm hopeful like you, but NA tours aren't particularly profitable. Our currency is almost worthless, it's a long drive between populated cities (especially if you want to hit anything other than the U.S./Canada border), we tax foreign musicians, and increasingly venues have started taking big chunks of merchandise revenues for themselves. It's a break-even proposition, really.

The dollar has actually strengthened against the Euro since 2008. http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=EUR&view=10Yz=l&q=l&c=&ql=1
The dollar has weakened against the Krona, but it's at similar levels as tours past. http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=SEK&view=10Y

As to your other points, I think you're 100% correct. Travel expenses alone probably make it pointless, if not a money losing venture. Then there's the visa process, etc. But other bands from the same region still come here. Insomnium, Katatonia, Swallow the Sun, for example, were all here in the last two years. So my fingers are crossed even though I've learned to take Niklas' statements on Twitter about possible NA tours with a grain of salt.

New album is incredible! The song that stood out the most for me on the first listen was "What only you know" really enjoyed the melodies on that one. The Science of Noise is quite good as well, the bridge is probably my favorite part of the song. That guitar solo over those chords are just too good, will probably be looping that part frequently.

I'll try to see this (in my perspective);

It's one hell of a weird album and I didn't understand anything the first 3-4-5 times I heard it.
…..
All in all, quite difficult to get into it and it certainly takes a lot of time. That's why I listen to it like crazy - at home, at work, wherever,….

What she said above is absolutely DT’s trademark. And DT keep maintain for it. Great news.

Not sure I can even speak of riffs, actually.

If this not exist in Construct, I’ll be missed them a lot.

-After all, agreed to Krofius; never judge an album beforehand.-

I'm just going to point out the obvious here. If you dont understand an album, if your not "into it" after 5 or 6 listens, it simply means you dont like the album very much.

I've read a great few reviews/posts/comments with regards to this album that sound much like the above.
The overall tone seems to be: "well, i didnt like it at first, but then i drowned myself in it and now its better than before"

It just seems like too many people are trying to force themselves to accept and enjoy this album - labeling it it a "grower" and such.

Interesting way of putting it. In my experience with DT, every album blew me out of the water and amazed me on first listen. Subsequent listens were required to digest the phenomenal-ness and depth of each track.

My thoughts exactly - this band has been at the pinnacle of true metal for me.
The Gallery thru Fiction represent more than a decade of the best melodeath ever created IMO.
Every album in this age immediately hit the spot for me and then went on to become timeless pieces of my musical collection.

Its true that i have learned to appreciate certain DT albums and/or songs even more with time, but i cannot think of one DT album, or even one song that took me 5 or 6 listens to decide whether i was "into it" or not.

Most of us know what good music is according to our personal tastes. That's probably why i didnt have to sit there and listen to "A Sense of Purpose" another 5 times before i decided to finally put it down for good.

excited to read that!!!! It's hard to contain my excitement (heh) when reading about an album that doesn't sound metal at all and that takes a while for you to understand it. And heck, atmospheric, that did it for me, fuck everything I want it nooooow!!! Riffs?? Who needs that!!! XD

I know i'm new to this board and all, but i'm a huge fan of the Gothenberg style, and it seems like its being drained out of DT's music to the sound of this board's applause.

Even in projector, (one of my favorite albums) when they went with cleaner, more mellow harmonies, they still brought it back to real hard hitting metal sound combined with catchy licks and riffs at key points.

a band that doesn't sound metal.
takes a while to get into.
no riffs.
atmospheric.

None of those terms describe DT for me. Its fine to be excited about something different, but this is just an entirely different genre of metal being described.

I must be the only one here who thinks this new album's "atmosphere" translates to mostly just bland generic metal.
with the exception of the science of noise, this album is incredibly disappointing to me.

I might get some heat from some of you for sounding so negative, or maybe i'll just be ignored due to my lack of credibility on UM, but i have been following this thread since it started and i wanted to voice my opinion as you all have done.

BOTTOM LINE:

FOR ME, this is not an exciting album. DT's signature sound is very much diluted and the song structures are not well thought out.
Some of the tracks start out really nicely, giving the feeling that the album is gonna really start to pick up, but the energy eventually dissipates and fades into a a drawn out, dreary "atmosphere".

All that being said, this band has written 7 straight albums of near perfect music IMO.
And SkyDancer, WATV and Construct all have individual songs that i consider to be better than most of the stuff out there. So i will not even think of knocking DT as a band, but i will say that i am not excited about the direction they are heading.

The conclusion that i ultimately came to is that this is DT's least interesting album to date. I have added the Science of Noise to my favs playlist, but unfortunately the rest of the album fails to impress.

I'm just going to point out the obvious here. If you dont understand an album, if your not "into it" after 5 or 6 listens, it simply means you dont like the album very much.

It just seems like too many people are trying to force themselves to accept and enjoy this album - labeling it it a "grower" and such.

In my opinion “grower” have many definitions.
For me; some songs in The Mind’s I and The Gallery had so complex and twisted songs. I need extra times to learn them. And some good songs from Projector, Damage Done, Character and Fiction were discovered lately.
Grower for an album it means grows for any songs within the album for my acceptance criteria. Of course it’s personal/ individual thought and it would make debate for the meaning of grower.

And for me to force myself to accept an album is not same with grower, because it won’t make permanently effect.
It happened to me, I try myself to accept the WATV and it left me with many blank spot and with the Construct I won’t do it again. I try to be honest to myself and the result; I only listen to Construct 3 times.

Criticism does not mean hate, it means something does not fit with the expectation from what we love.
And if the expectation still can’t be realized then we only can replay an old memory from them.

This is not "the obvious", this is "the exceptionally dumb". It is not an established fact that material which is not immediately accessible will not be appealing to the listener. While you haven't established this fact, I think has neatly refuted this argument with Projector. Projector was a weird fucking album, and it took a lot of people a lot of time to get into it, but it's now recognized as one of the greatest and most important albums in the band's repertoire and the genre as a whole.

Shallow music is immediately accessible to all listeners because anything good that's there can be detected on the first listen. Truly great music actually challenges the listener to think and grow a bit in order to understand it. This is not simply true of music, but of all art.

Other than that, don't worry about getting "heat" on this forum because opinions are opinions and no one really cares about them, here or elsewhere.

This is not "the obvious", this is "the exceptionally dumb". It is not an established fact that material which is not immediately accessible will not be appealing to the listener.

It’s not “exceptionally dumb” to state that its apparent you don’t like something if you're still not into it after your 5th time listening to it.
The reviewer i was quoting stated that it was difficult to get into and that's why she listened to it like crazy -at home at work, etc.
She didnt listen to it because she enjoyed the music or because it was appealing to her. In fact, she said the opposite - it didnt appeal to her and thats why she had to listen to it so many times.
That means she didnt like it, plain and simple.

She was trying to prove to herself the preconceived notion that the album was good. and big suprise - she finally convinced herself.

Yea, you can grow to like something, but that process takes place organically over time and is not something that can be predicted, and then fullfilled pending on the amount of spins you've given it. Our musical taste does evolve over time, but not by force. not the way its being described here.

Going from liking something to loving it over the course of time makes sense to me.
Going from not being into something at all and then listening to it over and over and over again, and then saying "oh yea, now i get it". That's called trying to force yourself to like it.
“Growers” don’t just switch from uninteresting to exceptional after x amount of listens. They grow with the person.

Projector was an awesome sound from the get go for me. Yea, it was weird compared to its predecessors, but it was good sounding music, and that much was apparent at first listen for a great number of people.

Shallow music is immediately accessible to all listeners because anything good that's there can be detected on the first listen. Truly great music actually challenges the listener to think and grow a bit in order to understand it. This is not simply true of music, but of all art.

...your generalizing and that argument flawed.
As i've stated above, i think DT's music has immediate appeal and also becomes even greater with time. THAT is the trait of true art

Take classical music for example. When you listen to Beehtoven, you hear beauty and then, with time, you learn to appriciate and understand the depth and complexity of it.

Or how about art? Salvador Dali - immediate attraction at first glance and then a deeper meaning is realized upon closer inspection.(not sure if Dali is ur cup of tea, but you get my point)

Music doesnt have to be challenging to understand in order for it to be great; In fact, Great music contains elements of both immediate appeal and deeper meaning.
To have both attributes is the testimant of truely inspirational art.

Other than that, don't worry about getting "heat" on this forum because opinions are opinions and no one really cares about them, here or elsewhere.

Sorry to condradict, but I'll "point out the obvious" again - People care about opinions here and practically everywhere else.
This board exists so that we can discuss and share our opinions.

The whole reason i added that statement is because after browsing some of the boards on UM (especially IF's) i realized that people might take me the wrong way and just start trashing me instead of actually discussing their opnions on the matter.

Correspondingly, I greatly appreciate your opinion on my post and i'm glad you felt strongly enough to discuss the matter.

I can see that you and many others are pretty excited about the experimental process DT is going thru right now. I just hope that the next album incorporates more the signature DT sound that got me hooked on them in the first place.

BTW I’ve read a lot of what you’ve posted in the past and I know how passionate you are about this music (your WATV breakdown was fucking incredible).
I'm actually stoked that you even noticed my post. You see, there arent many metal fans in Souch Orange County so i dont really get to discuss these things with anyone around. The chance to discuss this topic with you means a great deal more to me than you might imagine