4x12 Cab

marshall cabs are sturdy as hell, just replace the plastic handles with metal ones at some point...i've had two of them, and the plastic handles cracked on both at some point

Not sure yet about what which to buy... Marshall is 4 or 16 Ohm.
My poweramp is 2,4,8 Ohms in mono.
I know that is safe to connect a 16 Ohm speaker to 8 Ohm output poweramp, but will it affect to the tone?

I currently have a Marshall 1960B packed with four G12T-75's. Sounds good with my Rectifier, but I think it tends to tremble whenever I krank the volume way too up, I mean it doesn't stand the bass very well, nor very high volume settings. Overall it's a good choice (got it used for 400 USD), but it's not quite solid I guess.

Has any of you ever tried the Mesa Road King 4x12" cabinet (the one with 2 Celestion Vintage 30's and 2 Celestion "Black Shadow" C90's)? I mean, is there any sustantial difference with the Standard Rectifier cabinet with 4x V30's??

Not sure yet about what which to buy... Marshall is 4 or 16 Ohm.
My poweramp is 2,4,8 Ohms in mono.
I know that is safe to connect a 16 Ohm speaker to 8 Ohm output poweramp, but will it affect to the tone?

I could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure with valve amp's you're always meant to match the ohm's on the amp head to the ohm's on the cab, I think mismatching the ohm's can damage the output transformer of the amp? (anyone wanna chime in on this?)

I don't know why but I got a feeling that 4 Ohms is not good for metal tones. Perhaps I readed something or dreamt about it...
Am I talking bollocks?

I've tried my Blackstar cab in 4 and 16 ohm modes and I definitely think there was a difference, 16 ohms seemed to sag a little more in the low end whereas 4 ohms kinda sounded like the speakers were more restricted in their movement. (this was re-amped and mic'd up so it was the same performance each time)

Has any of you ever tried the Mesa Road King 4x12" cabinet (the one with 2 Celestion Vintage 30's and 2 Celestion "Black Shadow" C90's)? I mean, is there any sustantial difference with the Standard Rectifier cabinet with 4x V30's??

Have I tried it? No - but I know I've really disliked all the clips of heard of C90s on here, and since it's half open back, well, keep it away from me! :loco: Recto cab FTW

Well, finally i'm about to buy the Marshall 1960 V30 for 420 €, but I wonder if this cabinet will work well for D Standard and Drop C through a Triaxis in the high gain modes.
I say this because I've heard that many 'not oversized' speaker may suffer the wrath of low frequencies and may tremble.

I think you'll be fine dude, even if that was true, it probably wouldn't happen with a guitar tuned to C! (more like Bb or lower I'd imagine, if at all)

Have I tried it? No - but I know I've really disliked all the clips of heard of C90s on here, and since it's half open back, well, keep it away from me! :loco: Recto cab FTW

You think so? and what about if those Black Shadows in the Mesa were enclosed, like the Vintage 30's in the other closed half of the cabinet? would they still work, or better said, would they work better? cause I really like the idea of having two different speaker sounds in one cab, it's interesting...

Also, what about Krank cabinets? any opinions? I'm trying to choose which one I'd buy, for a near future.

Don't think the Black Shadows were ever put in a cab thats fully enclosed, mines 3/4 closed and the RK is 1/2 closed. As far as I know those are the only cabs you can get them in.

You think so? and what about if those Black Shadows in the Mesa were enclosed, like the Vintage 30's in the other closed half of the cabinet? would they still work, or better said, would they work better? cause I really like the idea of having two different speaker sounds in one cab, it's interesting...

Also, what about Krank cabinets? any opinions? I'm trying to choose which one I'd buy, for a near future.

Meh, I've never heard good things about Krank cabs - and more importantly, if Mesa is an affordable option, why choose anything else? ;) However, my complaints with the tone of the Black Shadows (just very weird, semi-squelchy, very old-school thrash sounding IMO) probably wouldn't be changed all that much by them being in a fully sealed enclosure. I can definitely see the appeal of mixing speakers, though I think my Recto cab with all V30s sound great, and there is the slightly possibility that even with close mic'ing, switching two of the V30s with two new ones in an X pattern might change the recorded sound (though it might be for the better).

However, I doubt this is really too big a deal, so if I were to get two other speakers in an X-pattern, they'd definitely be Celestion G12K100's; Jens Bogren used the Marshall oversized Mode 4 cab with 4 of those speakers for the rhythm tones on Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" and Katatonia's "The Great Cold Distance", and I think they have such an awesome crunch!

I could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure with valve amp's you're always meant to match the ohm's on the amp head to the ohm's on the cab, I think mismatching the ohm's can damage the output transformer of the amp? (anyone wanna chime in on this?)

You can run the amp into a cabinet of equal or higher rating. I stupidly bought an 8 ohm hotplate though I have a 16 ohm cab and its no problem to go from the Laney's 1x8 ohm -> 8ohm hotplate -> 16ohm Marshall 1960

Got the Marshall. Is in very good condition except for a scratch on the 'grill'. It is not metallic grill, but something like textile material. It is not important but I would like to fix it, any idea?
Why does Marshall manufacture so weak sucking grill?