5/17 Tucson Show

floppa

Feb 5, 2008
Arizona
Is anyone going to this? I am heading there with my two boys, we saw Opeth in Phoenix last year, looking forward to a local Opeth show. I have never been to the Rialto so that venue will be a first for me.

First off I want to say a few things. Michael if you ever come back to Arizona please come to Tucson first! The Tucson crowd was way batter than the Phoenix crowd. Plus the shitty venue in Phoenix (The Marquee) is no match for the Rialto Theatre. Opeth sounded in-fucking-credible!! (Compared to the muddy mess at the Marquee!)

Setlist:

Heir Apparent
Ghost of Perdition
Godheads Lament
Wreath
Karma (with a fan running on stage...read below)
Hessian Peel
Closure (Extended)
The Night and Silent Water
Lotus Eater
(Encore)
a) Fredrick 90 second guitar solo (read below)
b)Demon of the Fall

Okay a few more things about the concert and the band in general. I have to say everyone looked incredibly tired. After playing HA and GoP Michael stated they were getting a day off tomorrow and that GoP sounded a hell of a lot better than the night before because they "totally fucked it up".

The crowd seemed to get Michael going, and in between songs Fredrik would leave the stage to do whatever he does, well there were about 5 guys that camped out right in front of Fred, and every time he left they would start screaming at Michael asking where Fred was. Michael of coarse starts feeding off of it and and asks if they are gay. Funny as hell! And this goes on through the night.

Karma was played, which was just freaking amazing! But near the end of the song this chick runs out on stage and starts waving her hands around! How she got to the back of the stage to begin with I have no idea, and the band roadies are trying to catch her. At first I thought they did not notice, but when the song ended Michael just busted out laughing. Then he tells a story of a concert in Denmark where they are playing and a guy runs out on stage stand next to Michael, and as Michael looks over "the dude pulled his cock out, then fell over the stage and broke his arm". Everyone again is just laughing so hard. Great story Mike!

After Hessian Peel the five Fredrik lovers start screaming for him again, and Michael is just at a loss for words at this point. Basically at this point Michael is asking what their obsession is with him. And then he just loses it. Michael is laughing so hard, Per starts in doing some weird stuff that makes Michael laugh even more, and Mike just sits there trying to regain his composure because "he has a serious song to play". Mendez jumps in and plays the bass notes to what sounds like Seinfeld. It was just too funny.

So after the Lotus Eater is played and they come back out for the encore, Mike introduces the band, and he leaves Fredrik for last and says something to the effect that "This is for Fredrik's fans over there, he's going to do a solo just for you." Michael and Martin step off to the corner of the stage as Fred takes center stage and goes into a blasting 90 second solo. It was amazing, and watching Mike and Martin in the background grinning ear-to-ear was a site to behold.

Again it was an amazing night, my son's and I enjoyed the show. While the band looked tired, the really fed off the crowd, and it looked to me that they all had a great time performing. Thanks Michael for the great show, and please come back to Tucson again!

(PS- Did any one else notice throughout this US tour if Axe was playing blast beats at the ending of Wreath? It sure sounded like it to me.)

I was at concert the night before in Hollywood where they fucked up GoP. I didn't know but the people that noticed pointed out that it was Martin. I'm glad they tore the roof off in AZ. They did just that in CA and Mikael always keeps the crowd upbeat. They had the same encore at the Avalon and the setlist was about the same but they played Credence which was absolutely mindboggling.

Was Mikael wearing a white t-shirt during that show by any chance? A fan threw him a shirt right before their last song before the encore and it said "Listen to Flasket Brinner." Mikael got a kick out of it and said he'd wear it at tomorrow's show which was Tucson. My first Opeth experience and I'm still in disbelief.

Cheers!

Wreath + Karma is godly, damn them for not coming here. Seeing Isis on Wednesday so cool deal there..

I was at concert the night before in Hollywood where they fucked up GoP. I didn't know but the people that noticed pointed out that it was Martin. I'm glad they tore the roof off in AZ. They did just that in CA and Mikael always keeps the crowd upbeat. They had the same encore at the Avalon and the setlist was about the same but they played Credence which was absolutely mindboggling.

Was Mikael wearing a white t-shirt during that show by any chance? A fan threw him a shirt right before their last song before the encore and it said "Listen to Flasket Brinner." Mikael got a kick out of it and said he'd wear it at tomorrow's show which was Tucson. My first Opeth experience and I'm still in disbelief.

Cheers!

No he wore a black shirt...that sucks that would have been cool.

Glad to see someone else noticed the blast beats at the end of Wreath, I thought my ears were deceiving me.

I was at the show in Tucson. Long time fan but I have never had a chance to see them in concert. Flat out fucking amazing performance. Hit everything perfectly.

Am I being farsighted when I go for them keeping both Karma and Godhead's Lament for the European Prog-Nation tour?

Well Karma's still incredibly new. They've had GHL since November-ish though so, they may be ready to whip out the Moor or they may stick with it (or idk, they could always go back to SPD)

Well Karma's still incredibly new. They've had GHL since November-ish though so, they may be ready to whip out the Moor or they may stick with it (or idk, they could always go back to SPD)

I wouldn't mind Moonlapse Vertigo. Can't remember the last time they played that in the States. It's definitely been a while.

Ummmm...are you guys sure it wasn't just Credence?

Mikael announced that they were going to do an "obscure" song. Then he informed us that it would be Karma from MAYH. Good song. Wreath was the highlight for me, though. That song never lets up.