5150 test + New Song

Haha, i can no longer remeber what you originally started with. I'd probably get some C4 happening, as well as some high shelf set up, then start A/B'ing to your favourite 5150 tones and tweaking your C4 and EQ till you think it sounds better.

Sounds pretty sweet! But the ghetto bass is pretty "dull". I think it does a very poor job when it comes to filling up the low-end without fighting the guitars. I can see this sounding pretty killer with a real bass.

If you're without a multiband compressor, try a different approach.

Copy the track in question, and move this copy out of phase with the original. With a fairly wide Q, cut out everything from about 150 to about 240 and try to have at least 10db out of 90 and 360 - combine a copy of this (the first copy, after de-meating with EQ) with an untouched copy of the original to basically give the 'meat' of that track, with nothing else. Compress this track however you please, and combine it back with the first copy you made so that you now have the full frequency range but the 'meat' is compressed and tamed - adjust frequencies as you wish. If you have absolutely no C4 access, it works, if at a bit of a time cost.

Jeff

I made a clip showing how that process above should help your sound - forgive the sloppy playing (a bit sick, not quite able to tighten things up especially with those open suspended chords) but it's all I could put out in five minutes.

The set up was amp -> two separate mics (an Audix i5 and a transformerless 57, on separate speakers and panned opposite each other, so for Take 1 and Take 2 the left side has Take 1-57 and Take 2-i5 and the right side has Take 1-i5 and Take 2-57; it seems to widen things up a bit... well, no, I'm lying out of my ass, I just couldn't pick one so I put them both in there and separated them to minimize phase issues) -> cheap ART preamps with Tesla tubes and other mods -> Audiophile 2496 and after that I panned, exported the 'No LM Taming', high passed somewhere between 8k and 10k, can't remember which, exported 'No LM Taming and HP', then did low-mid compression and exported that as 'LM Taming and HP' - it seems to help and hurt in different ways, so I wouldn't just do a blanket process on all of them, but you might like it.

The link is at http://download.yousendit.com/82897839179DA69F - I'll do a much better clip (this one is mere seconds, and it features no amp tweaking and mic setup from where I had it last time I recorded, two weeks ago with a caffeine deprivation headache, and the kind of double-tracking only five minutes and a sinus infection would let me keep) as soon as I have the time.

Jeff

I hear a shit ton of Opeth in there. That type of riffing doesn't seem to be normal in metal these days. Very cool.

I'm not a particular fan of the quicker 16th notes on the double bass. Too machine-gunny. They're OK for the quicker bursts. Maybe setup some automation to drop them a few dBs during these parts.

The bass needs some work too. Way too much energy further up in the 200Hz area. It sounds kinda odd, is that like a MIDI bass or something?

Anywho, cool clip!

I hear a shit ton of Opeth in there. That type of riffing doesn't seem to be normal in metal these days. Very cool.

I'm not a particular fan of the quicker 16th notes on the double bass. Too machine-gunny. They're OK for the quicker bursts. Maybe setup some automation to drop them a few dBs during these parts.

The bass needs some work too. Way too much energy further up in the 200Hz area. It sounds kinda odd, is that like a MIDI bass or something?

Anywho, cool clip!

Pitched shift guitar, but I agree with it's ghetto-ness. :lol:

Pitched shift guitar, but I agree with it's ghetto-ness. :lol:

Ahhh, I see. Still, it could benefit from EQing to make it sit a bit better.

Low pass at about 115Hz. Yes, that's not a typo...low pass at 115Hz. Then give a boost with a thin Q at about 50Hz and then another slightly smaller boost up one octave at 100Hz. I've found in my mixes these frequencies are perfect. Your mileage may vary.

Normally I'd have another cloned bass track to take care of the upper mids and highs, but we'll forget that for now.

This should help get rid of that junk at 200Hz that never sits right.