5150 vs. 6505

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5150 block letter, a 5150II, and a 6505 all in great shape.
None of them sound the same, although the 5150 and 6505 are pretty close.

Tubes? No way. I've changed the tubes several times back and forth, preamp and power tubes, and I can swear to you they sound noticeably different. Same ballpark, but different.

As for the 5150II, I don't like it. In-fact, it is in pristine shape, you can't get a cleaner unit than this anywhere, and it looks almost as if it was unboxed yesterday, so if you wanna buy a virtually brand-new one, it's yours for $799 + whatever it costs to ship. Just drop me a PM. It's not my cup of tea, but it may be yours. Some people like this amp. Actually, it sounds pretty good in standard tuning; however, I play drop-tuned alternate tunings that this amp just doesn't like.

Anyhow, the 5150 still sounds better than the 6505.

I'm not saying this to be a dick either. I wanted to replace my 5150 because it was previously owned by an inspiration of mine and wanted to store it away in a safe place. Rather than shell out the cash for another 5150, by extreme luck, I found a 6505 in brand-new condition for peanuts. Crap. I'm still not happy after days of rocking out and pissing off the neighborhood with extremely loud and repetitive riffing ha ha.

Now, I'm not saying the 6505 sounds bad... It sounds great! :worship: But I wouldn't say the sound the same, and I will say I still like the original better.

Call it that I am used to the 5150 and have played it for so long that it's a part of me or whatever...

I don't think anyone would really be disappointed with either; however, the original has a bit more bass and sounds a little more open.

As for "clarity", they are both clear - but different. The block letter grinds a bit more, and the 6505 is slightly duller and slightly more spongy sounding to my ears.

The thing that bugs me is that I have to boost the EQ a bit more on the 6505 and with an EQ in the FX loop to get it to sound more like the 5150. Even so, I can't get them to sound alike, and the 5150 still sounds meaner.

The 6505 is perhaps slightly less noisy, but nothing to drool about.

Now of course you can throw a wrench into my review and say that all tube amps are different anyways, because they are indeed analog. It's not like we're talking about digital equipment here...

Either way, if I had to choose, I'd keep the 5150 block letter. Not just because who it was owned by, but because I prefer it. For now, I will keep both, and see where this takes me. At this point, I wished my 6505 sounded a bit more like my 5150.

Because my review is somewhat subjective and the 5150 and 6505 are both great amps, I would suggest folks get the 6505 unless they have the money to blow. Having a 5150 block letter won't instantly turn you into god; however, it could make a small difference if you are a pro... On the other hand, you might like the 6505 better, so it may not make any difference at all.

I forget where, but somewhere on the internet, I found a post explaining that the 5150 and 6505 are indeed different, although the design is the same. I think it was because of different components or something. If I find the info, I will repost it.

I have a 5150 block letter, a 5150II, and a 6505 all in great shape.
None of them sound the same, although the 5150 and 6505 are pretty close.

Tubes? No way. I've changed the tubes several times back and forth, preamp and power tubes, and I can swear to you they sound noticeably different. Same ballpark, but different.

As for the 5150II, I don't like it. In-fact, it is in pristine shape, you can't get a cleaner unit than this anywhere, and it looks almost as if it was unboxed yesterday, so if you wanna buy a virtually brand-new one, it's yours for $799 + whatever it costs to ship. Just drop me a PM. It's not my cup of tea, but it may be yours. Some people like this amp. Actually, it sounds pretty good in standard tuning; however, I play drop-tuned alternate tunings that this amp just doesn't like.

Anyhow, the 5150 still sounds better than the 6505.

I'm not saying this to be a dick either. I wanted to replace my 5150 because it was previously owned by an inspiration of mine and wanted to store it away in a safe place. Rather than shell out the cash for another 5150, by extreme luck, I found a 6505 in brand-new condition for peanuts. Crap. I'm still not happy after days of rocking out and pissing off the neighborhood with extremely loud and repetitive riffing ha ha.

Now, I'm not saying the 6505 sounds bad... It sounds great! :worship: But I wouldn't say the sound the same, and I will say I still like the original better.

Call it that I am used to the 5150 and have played it for so long that it's a part of me or whatever...

I don't think anyone would really be disappointed with either; however, the original has a bit more bass and sounds a little more open.

As for "clarity", they are both clear - but different. The block letter grinds a bit more, and the 6505 is slightly duller and slightly more spongy sounding to my ears.

The thing that bugs me is that I have to boost the EQ a bit more on the 6505 and with an EQ in the FX loop to get it to sound more like the 5150. Even so, I can't get them to sound alike, and the 5150 still sounds meaner.

The 6505 is perhaps slightly less noisy, but nothing to drool about.

Now of course you can throw a wrench into my review and say that all tube amps are different anyways, because they are indeed analog. It's not like we're talking about digital equipment here...

Either way, if I had to choose, I'd keep the 5150 block letter. Not just because who it was owned by, but because I prefer it. For now, I will keep both, and see where this takes me. At this point, I wished my 6505 sounded a bit more like my 5150.

Because my review is somewhat subjective and the 5150 and 6505 are both great amps, I would suggest folks get the 6505 unless they have the money to blow. Having a 5150 block letter won't instantly turn you into god; however, it could make a small difference if you are a pro... On the other hand, you might like the 6505 better, so it may not make any difference at all.

I forget where, but somewhere on the internet, I found a post explaining that the 5150 and 6505 are indeed different, although the design is the same. I think it was because of different components or something. If I find the info, I will repost it.

Could be just a small difference between the amps themselves... it's not impossible to have 2 5150s next to each other with the same tubes and hear subtle differences between them....

Could be just a small difference between the amps themselves... it's not impossible to have 2 5150s next to each other with the same tubes and hear subtle differences between them....

And also account the fact that components drift in value as they age. For whatever reason most musicians/producers like the sound of gear after its aged to some degree.

This

And also account the fact that components drift in value as they age. For whatever reason most musicians/producers like the sound of gear after its aged to some degree.

and this.

how can ANYONE still think it's a different amp?
yes, the world is flat, I know

srsly

Status
Not open for further replies.