80s hardcore and early 90s black metal

mutantllama

Nov 24, 2005
Maine
I know Norwegian black metal has been talked to death before and blah blah bah, but I just want to point out how much similar it is to a scene a decade before it, hardcore.

It's pretty obvious that punk had an influence on a few black metal artists, like darkthrone for example, and it's even more known how much punk has intertwined with metal before(and clashed for that matter). But one thing I've never seen anyone talk about before is how similar the black metal scene in the early 90s is to the hardcore scene in the early 80s. I guess in some ways they can't really compare considering black metal wasn't nearly as spread out and divided into various groups like early hardcore was. But let me point out a few things, both rebelled against society, both scenes were basically just a bunch of kids in their teens and early 20s, both rebelled strongly against popular music ideas(you have to be good at your instrument, having the best production, etc), so called normal people didn't listen to either genre(and looked down on the people who liked the music/were part of the scene) and finally various iconic figures clashed against each other.

While I guess some of these points could be used for a majority underground music, these two scenes seem to share a lot more in common then people recognize or talk about.

There've been a couple of bands that've that've mixed both genres,mainly hardcore bands that've incorporated occult themes,Integrity and G.I.S.M. come to mind.

Husker Du has a song that reminds me exactly of Burzum for a moment

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a section in a record store I go in of 80s hardcore and I don't know what any of it is or which is the goods stuff but I bet I'd like some of it.

The asshat sells scratched up records for a lot of money though so you have to check :( .