80's Pantera sound

Notuern

Bloody vaginal belch
Oct 20, 2007
Ok, now im sick of trying to achieve it my self.
Does anyone know how the hell you achieve the sound that Pantera had on their Power Metal record?
(Talking about the guitar-sound)

It has a really gnarly tone to it, that I know has nothing to do with "magic fingers"(As most part of guitartones usualy does.).

All I know is that he was using the Randall RG100ES, but he must have used pedals too. ;X

Edit:

I know that most of you probably think im stupid for even wanting that tone. ;)

Actually... I've been wondering this myself for years.

I'm actually most interested in knowing how Dime got that butt-rock tone in "All Over Tonight" and also "Forever Tonight" :lol: Call me cheezy, but whatev. Any ideas?

Raise them horns!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
...I know that most of you probably think im stupid for even wanting that tone. ;)

Not me bro! I chased that Power Metal tone for years. That tone had me hooked on the Randall tone for years! That guitar solo on "We'll Meet Again" really did it for me. :headbang:

I've got schematics for a pretty simple build of the RG80/100 preamp section if you're interested. I've just never gotten around to building it myself.

Actually... I've been wondering this myself for years.

I'm actually most interested in knowing how Dime got that butt-rock tone in "All Over Tonight" and also "Forever Tonight" :lol: Call me cheezy, but whatev. Any ideas?

Ive read that Projects In The Jungle and I Am The Night was recorded by running the ADA MP-1 into the RG100ES poweramp.
It sounds reasonable, sence the sound on those records are more "marshally", yet has that solid state tightness.

Not me bro! I chased that Power Metal tone for years. That tone had me hooked on the Randall tone for years! That guitar solo on "We'll Meet Again" really did it for me. :headbang:

I've got schematics for a pretty simple build of the RG80/100 preamp section if you're interested. I've just never gotten around to building it myself.

Ive nailed a tone that sounds like a mixture of Power Metal and Cowboys From Hell on my Pod, but seriously, the guitarsound on Power Metal is soo much more awesome(Even though its clipping like hell.)!

Sure, send 'em over!
Im not able to build it my self, but I know a few people who can do it for me really cheap. :)

Dunno if this helps but I think i read on this forum somewhere that Dimebag was using a Randall RG100HT.

Looks like some kind of blue coloured rack unit if I remember correctly...

[quote="Evil" Aidy;7767560]Dunno if this helps but I think i read on this forum somewhere that Dimebag was using a Randall RG100HT.

Looks like some kind of blue coloured rack unit if I remember correctly...[/quote]

Back in those days he used Randall RG100ES(Same as RG100HT, but not rackmount.), ADA MP-1 and at some occasions Marshalls(Havent seen any pictures where I can distinguish the models though.).

But on Power Metal, he must have done something else with his sound, because it doesnt sound really like the RG100ES or the RG100HT, even though its close.

ive posted this before, but this is a foto of dimes rack circa 90s i think

dimecloseup19yz.jpg

Damn, I wish we would have had camera phones back then. I could have snapped photos of his rig when they played around in Houston in support of Power Metal. I definitely remember they were Randalls, but I wasn't close enough to see what models. I also remember him puking his brains out in the upstairs bathroom at the club, then going on stage and playing a fantastic show, nailing his parts (and the sounds...amp sound plus effects) perfectly. That's still my all time favorite Pantera album.

Damn, I wish we would have had camera phones back then. I could have snapped photos of his rig when they played around in Houston in support of Power Metal. I definitely remember they were Randalls, but I wasn't close enough to see what models. I also remember him puking his brains out in the upstairs bathroom at the club, then going on stage and playing a fantastic show, nailing his parts (and the sounds...amp sound plus effects) perfectly. That's still my all time favorite Pantera album.

F*** f****y f*** f*** f*** im so pissed of that I havent even had the chance to se the post Cowboys From Hell Pantera! >,<

I guess he was playing the Randall RG100ES:

untitled.jpg

And Diamond/Dimebag was probably the only guitarist ever that could drink galons of booze, and still go out on stage and still give a perfect show!

F*** f****y f*** f*** f*** im so pissed of that I havent even had the chance to se the post Cowboys From Hell Pantera! >,<

untitled.jpg

And Diamond/Dimebag was probably the only guitarist ever that could drink galons of booze, and still go out on stage and still give a perfect show!

Do you know or does anyone here know whether the Furman Eq that Dime used was run in the effects loop of the amp or was it Guitar > Furman Eq > Amp?

I've been searching and found various bits n pieces from his guitar tech (Grady champion) but little info on the actual signal path.

[quote="Evil" Aidy;7916711]Do you know or does anyone here know whether the Furman Eq that Dime used was run in the effects loop of the amp or was it Guitar > Furman Eq > Amp?

I've been searching and found various bits n pieces from his guitar tech (Grady champion) but little info on the actual signal path.[/quote]

It was run in the effects loop.
But he didnt get that one untill 89/90 i think.

Pretty sure he ran a 6band mxr eq in front and the furman in the loop, mxr frowning, furman more scooped

untitled.jpg

I've had the 80 watts version of that amp. It didn't have that much gain, so the gain needed to be maxed. And then still it needed a overdrive/TS.

I've had the 80 watts version of that amp. It didn't have that much gain, so the gain needed to be maxed. And then still it needed a overdrive/TS.

Im 199% sure of that your amp was broken.
This was the first real higain amp, and from those thousands of clips ive heard from it, i have to say it has more gain then all higain amps ive tried my self(That includes Rectifier, 5150, Randall RX etc.).

Thats how it is supposed to sound, and im guessing that the drive isnt all the way to the top on this clip either.

Last edited by a moderator: