80s Synth-pop, Darkwave, etc.

Prognostic

Jiggachu
Feb 27, 2005
District of Columbia
i only know of the more well known musicians like the smiths, joy division, echo and the bunnymen, the cure, depeche mode, etc. firstly, what do you think of them and secondly, please add more bands in the vein mentioned in the title of the thread.

Wonderful thread :)

Well, i really love The Cure, The Smiths and Joy Division(the fabulous proto-goth masters imo). Prognosis, i think it would be very nice if you check out bands from the shoegazer scene, like Slowdive(souvlaki is a killer darkwave/shoegazer pop album) and My Bloody Valentine(loveless is a heavenly, psychedelic and relaxing album)...I also like Japan(synth-pop, David Sylvian's former band), Mazzy Star, and Ride.

I love The Cure, Joy Division and Depeche Mode. Not a fan of The Smiths myself. I guess New Order would be a band in the same vein but I personally never got into them much. To me Ian Curtis is what made Joy Division great and without him there is just not much impressive left. They had a few decent singles but all of their albums fail to impress me.

I tend towards the gothic rock stuff more personally, things like The Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Bauhaus, that kind of thing.

And if you're looking for shoegazer then Lush is also worth checking out (aside from My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive and Ride which were already mentioned).

Prognostic said:
oh i know of my bloody valentine but i'll check out the others. appreciated muchly.

wait a minute...you visit opethforum dont you? who are you?

lol, no i don't post there at all, why do you ask?

Prognostic said:
you called me prognosis....

and @ cairath: i've heard of bauhaus, the sisters, fields, and siouxsie but havent given them a listen yet.

Bauhaus - Mask
Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Tinderbox
The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland

All highly recommended.

Bel Canto is pretty good too, kind of new age-meets-goth pop, great female vocals...you can't go wrong with ''Shimmering, Warm and Bright'', it destroys imo

Yeah i couldn't make a better description, but trust me it is good. The kind of stuff that people who are into The Cure and Loreena Mckennitt would enjoy.

Great thread IMO.

Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, and Joy Division are the only three bands on my playlist that I dance to.

Dance.

btw, just discovered that joy division was the name of a group of women that performed a particular service to men in nazi germany. should've expected something like that though...ian curtis was seriously obsessed with nazi memorabilia iirc