9/11 aka Sept.11 ... five years later

yeah, man bites dog.

phones are tapped, people get arrested. phones aren't tapped, a terrorist attack happens, and everyone is up in arms crying 'why didn't you prevent it?'.

some of the people who were tapped said that they 'feared blackmail'. this sounds awfully like the proverbial wife who, caught in the act of cheating in the marital alcove by her husband, shouts at him 'you don't respect my privacy, you should have knocked first'.

i loathe the idea that policemen would accept backhanders from private citizens in order to sell the results of background checks that, by all means, should only be used for institutional purposes. on the other hand, i'm not going to stage an upcry in favor of a bunch of crooks who were caught red-handed, say appropriating their company's money for their own personal use (doubly serious if the company's public: would the shareholders sleep better at night if there were no wiretappings revealing that the CEOs are inflicting on them artificially reduced returns?).

if someone tapped my phone, they'd get bored to death, and they'd think i'm stupid. but i would not fear any blackmail. i think the same goes for most of you.

fireangel said:
Articles in German also say that journalists were amongst those, and that the newspaper "La Stampa" has yesterday published a list with lots of names, and besides these people, many other citizens would be affected.

Lil' Bloodred will be pleased: OH NOES!!!SHIFT+1

If a respectable newspaper with absolutely no allegiance whatsoever like "La Stampa" has published names yesterday (hint: mine isn't there. How do I know? Because my father happens to work for "La Stampa", and no, his phone isn't being tapped either), well, time to run and hide. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps it's like Hyena said, and I don't give a (not very) proverbial crap whether they listen to what I say to my girlfriend or to Alfred on the phone or not.

@Rayna: considering you tend to reply to absolutely anything at all, it looks like such an exercise might take you years.

@rahve: how many people would be left on here if you banned the idiots?

oh noes, like mate above said. now everyone is going to say that i have unresolved pent-up anger issues and pity me because of what i said the feelings thread. someone remind to post the same line above in some random moment which cannot be tied to any traumatic event. or to post it when i get a promotion. or when i get married, if teh internet hasn't been taken over by teh aliens by then.

rahvin said:
If a respectable newspaper with absolutely no allegiance whatsoever like "La Stampa" has published names yesterday (hint: mine isn't there. How do I know? Because my father happens to work for "La Stampa", and no, his phone isn't being tapped either), well, time to run and hide. :rolleyes:

I remembered that your father is a journalist, I just didn´t mention it explicitly because I cared for your privacy :D

But okay, I see, it doesn´t matter to you or hyena.....

hyena: those you mentioned, who did indeed commit crimes and were caught, well, in that case the information is useful. But I still hope that if the government, police, or other, investigate, that they will have a good reason to start with, and stop tapping phones if they realize that there is nothing to discover.

@hyena: The answer would be highly incriminating (incriminating me, that is. Or maybe you)

@fireangel: You remembered that my father is a j...? That's it, you're tapping my phone!

Taliesin said:
Since when does your indifference qualify as a model for general legislation?

It might have happened when I reached legal age and got a vote, and Hyena too. If you're looking to apply for an Italian citizenship and take part in this exciting and apparently brand-new process, I could write a nice recommendation letter. ;)

I came across this thread last month but I'm just getting back to the forum at this time.
I was posting this on every UM forum that had a NP/Now Playing thread:
"for JF
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here"
It was for my friend Jean who had passed away, I had met Jean(certified) on UM forum and we had become good friends.

I had taken the day off from my practice, dropped my daughter off at school and kept my son home from preschool as we were going to spend the day at the ocean.
As I was preparing something to eat Ian came in and said
Daddy, fire
Ian, I don't understand?
Airplane
He took me by my hand to see. We had a view of the WTC from about 2 miles away.
Now 5 years later I still have trouble putting into words how I felt, only numb comes to mind.
The impact of the first plane hit where my husband's office was located. I knew as I looked at the tower my husband was not coming home, my soul mate, the person who I wanted to grow old with was gone. As I was staring in disbelief the second plane hit the other tower.
So much has been written, talked about and I don't have much to add, other than I would of liked
President Bush, Vice President Cheney or Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld , to say something like "we were in charge and we let the citizens of the US down, we did not protect you" but not these people, its cover your ass, blame anyone but not us.
One final thing, my office is not too far from where the WTC was located, when I pass by looking into that hole in the ground where the WTC was my thought is the terrorist have won as long as nothing is rebuilt on that site.

I checked about every UM forum and I believe this is the only thread about Sept.11, 5 years later?
Thanks La Rocque for remembering.