90's Maiden with Dickinson

Yep, it all began with Somewhere in Time; title track, Heaven Can Wait, The Loneliness..., Deja Vu, etc. That's when they really began to lose inspiration, but unlike the 90's Bruce-albums, they hadn't realized it yet.

I love that line, and song. The song would be boring if they said the line once. The whole point of that song is to repeat that silly line.

And since when is music supposed to be taken seriously? "Oh no! Maiden's having fun with their music! Sell outs!" Anyone who takes music seriously is a pretentious asshole. It's entertainment, not brain surgery.

We'd have to ask Bruce if the intent was to be silly...or not. I'm not gonna touch that. But I'll say this if music isn't serious or to be taken seriously the how would you explain bands from various subgenres like; Manowar, Morbid Angel, Slayer, or even Malmsteen? I for one don't take Manowar seriously but their fans do as does the band... Getting back to Maiden's Slaughter the funny thing is that some of the same people that love that song blasted Bruce for a song like "Tattooed Millionaire." Go figure.

Listening to Bruce Dickinson's Accident of Birth and I can't believe how much it reminds me of the three reformed maiden albums (especially AMOLAD)

imo AOB and chemical wedding sound nothing like the new boring maiden albums. they are better than anything maiden has done lately

OK, first of all, I don't even considder the Baley albums as real maiden albums so don't include them in 90's Maiden.
No Prayer is about as good as anything out of the 90's, surprised no one mentioned "Hooks in You"- good beer song. Like you said, the 90's had grunge to deal with and although No Prayer and Fear of the Dark sounds different to what we were used to, at least they pull us through those times. I dissagree that Fear is a filler fest, I like Chidhood's end and Waisting Love and all those morbit stuff.
All this thread has done, is made me pull out my copy of Prayer again - good shit.

why don't you consider them real maiden albums? same guy who wrote all the other maiden albums wrote x factor and virtual xi? band is the same as it was since the late 80's when adrian left except bayley is singing

Guys, please I know that we digress a lot from topic in UMOS but the thread is about DICKINSON albums of the 90's :D

When you listen "No prayer for the dying" and think about the album that came before ("SSOASS" their best with Bruce IMO), it´s night and day.

You said it all. From "NPFTD" I only like the title track and "Mother russia". A couple of them are OK ("Tailgunner" "Run silent run deep") and the rest, for me, are fillers.

"Fear of the dark" is a kind of extremist album. If combines excellent tunes ("Be quick or be dead" "Afraid to shoot strangers" or "Wasting love") with tons of fillers, specially "The apparition", worst Maiden song ever (besides "Como estáis amigos").

By the way, about "Fear of the dark". It you have seen Iron Maiden 5 times or more you can only hate "FOTD". Even, they played it during "Somewhere back in time" tour :zombie: One of the most ridiculous things I´ve ever seen.

When you listen "No prayer for the dying" and think about the album that came before ("SSOASS" their best with Bruce IMO), it´s night and day.

I'm not gonna say SSOASS is the best with Bruce that will be POM, but like you pointed compared to NPFTD is like sunshine and total darkness.

By the way, about "Fear of the dark". It you have seen Iron Maiden 5 times or more you can only hate "FOTD". Even, they played it during "Somewhere back in time" tour :zombie: One of the most ridiculous things I´ve ever seen.

I disagree on one count, what if you have never have seen Maiden live? That was my case. People in Europe and USA (and even Mexico, Brazil) forget how priviliged they are that those bands (and a zillion more) tour there regularly, but for us was absolutely awsome. Specially for me that I think I'm not gonna seeing them ever again (even if they promised to comeback in 2010), I'm not interested in any other setlist besides the one I've already seen (unless they do another classic tour with a different setlist :D)

And I agree on another count, when they first begun to promote the idea of the tour they said clearly that the setlist would cover the first 7 albums (debut to SSOASS) therefore FOTD was out of place.

Maiden has been my fav band since Bruce joined originally,and it pains me to say that ANY Maiden album is bad...so I wont. :)
However, its arguably common knowledge that this era is when they were at their weakest.
Both albums spawned hits and live show staples, and both have a couple of great album tracks ( Mother Russia immediately comes to mind ) , but by and large, these two albums are the ones I listen to least...
And yes, that includes the Blaze stuff.
It was a bad time for metal, the 90s....Im just glad its back in force and Maiden is back on top where they belong.

It was a bad time for metal, the 90s....Im just glad its back in force and Maiden is back on top where they belong.

The early 90s (at least 90-91) was an AMAZING time for metal and music in general. Production had reached it's pinacle and bands were writing absolute masterpieces at that time such as:
Painkiller, The Black Album, Slave to the Grind, Cowboys from Hell, Empire, Rust in Peace, Souls of Black, Seasons in the Abyss, No More Tears, etc. etc. etc.

The early 90s (at least 90-91) was an AMAZING time for metal and music in general. Production had reached it's pinacle and bands were writing absolute masterpieces at that time such as:
Painkiller, The Black Album, Slave to the Grind, Cowboys from Hell, Empire, Rust in Peace, Souls of Black, Seasons in the Abyss, No More Tears, etc. etc. etc.

Lots of good metal in the 90s! Just not on the radio.

NPFTD and FOTD had to compete a legacy of 7 outstanding 80s albums and obviously failed, very few can top such genre defining moments, including the creators themselves...
But if you disregard the 7 albums before them they were actually decent LPs, but unlike previous releases with a bit of filler, which Maiden didn't really have until then. And Bruce's snarling style of singing on those two didn't help either IMO... My general opinion is that they're still much better than Blaze era and especially the new 2000's Bruce era. However, as Wyv stated before, Bruce's solo works puts them all to shame :D

Listening to Bruce Dickinson's Accident of Birth and I can't believe how much it reminds me of the three reformed maiden albums (especially AMOLAD)

I can't believe anything Bruce did solo reminds you of newer Maiden at all?!?
Unlike "reformed Maiden albums" Bruce's stuff aren't an overplayed and overextended snoozefest, have so much more interesting ideas and IMHO sound like an updated Maiden sound to a degree so to say... Low tunings and heavy chugging rhythms really set those apart from anything Maiden has ever done. They should've kicked Gers out and bring Roy Z on board :D

They should've kicked Gers out and bring Roy Z on board :D

Well I'm partial to left Murray and Smith alone, but that would have been a hell of an idea (specially if the guy also produces the album) :headbang:

That was truely disappointing.

No Prayer & Fear dont get played much at my place, they probably would if get more air time if it wasnt for the amazing 7 before:heh:

they probably would if get more air time if it wasnt for the amazing 7 before:heh:

Interesting isn't it?
n065.gif