A band that sounds a lot like For The Fallen Dreams...

there is nothing special in the beginning. i used superior drummer for the drums with a lot of external plugins (eq's, compressor etc.), some parallel compression on the drum bus and some special reverb on the snare and toms.

The effect in the beginning of the song, the "build up" with the drums and guitars, is there a name for this "effect" so i can google it and find out how to do it? lol its in the original that scissors61 posted.

The effect in the beginning of the song, the "build up" with the drums and guitars, is there a name for this "effect" so i can google it and find out how to do it? lol its in the original that scissors61 posted.
Just automate a band of any EQ plugin so it "sweeps" all the frequencies back in starting with a high pass or low pass and boost a weird mid/high-mid frequency (like the one in the OP's).

Just automate a band of any EQ plugin so it "sweeps" all the frequencies back in starting with a high pass or low pass and boost a weird mid/high-mid frequency (like the one in the OP's).

i had a feeling it would involve automation... im still knew the the subject. but i've come across it enough times now to know i need to get to know it. ill try it out once i get the whole automation thing down.

the snare is pretty bad. it just has way too much snap, but no tone (sort of like a kick drum should have). find a new sample if i were you. and maybe give the guitars some lo-mids too :)

a couple of areas coud use some lows and low mids i think... guitars.. maybe vocals.... sounding amazing tho

your "final" version man...

kick needs much lowend removed, snare needs body and room, toms need high-end and smack and the entire mix needs ze ol' glue and punch
guitars are very vivid in some frequencies I am not fond of, also they are very muddy
vocals sound extremely dry and scooped, they could actually use some nasalness to get them "in your face"
bass only lives in frequencies my ears can barely percieve

but the entire mix sounds very "nice", and fans of sturgis-produced bands I guess would be pretty happy with this

Kick needs less low-end and the snare could use some 'verb to give it body. The vocals sound a bit dry. As Backe said, I'm hearing some weird frequencies in the guitars and they sound a bit muddy. Bass needs to come up.

hey,
any presets for the drum sounds? I'm really having a hard time getting a nice sound in superior...
But this drums kick ass

Hey dude. I noticed you've cut of a lot of the pick attack on your guitar DI's. You should try not to do that, because it sounds terrible. Very... "VSTi-Guitar"-like.

Nice production work from you. The small fade-ins here and there aswell as some lo-fi action going on.

I like your drums in your mix. Good job on those. You might scoop the kick a bit more though :)
The guitars needs way less mids, and some finecutting in the 4k-7k area.
The bass is present, but I'd like it to stick out more in my tasting :)
Vocals could use a boost between 4k-9k. Will make them sound more clear. Could scoop them a bit ~400hz aswell.

Also, I noted that your DI's were recorded pretty low? They peaked around -12dB for me if I remember correctly. I try to keep mine peaking around -3 or maybe 4dB. I'm betting you have to have a lot of gain on your amp.

If I were you, I'd also edit all of the guitars, bass and vocals so they are super spot-on tight everywhere, not just the breakdowns. Needs to be done for this type of music.

I also couldn't resist trying to mix this, so here's my attempt! Don't have any automated effects or stuff like that. Just wanted to try to mix it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/745395/Sneap/Broken Jaw Mix.mp3

I hope I helped.

Cheers.
Carl.

CarlBlomqvist
How did you get the sound of drums? Is it superior drummer? If yes, share your preset please!