A basic question about guitars

|ngenius

Little Grasshopper
Nov 16, 2001
Barcelona
Visit site
Hi, everyone. A friend of mine is looking for a guitar to get started. He bought his first guitar ten years ago, but never used it, so now he's lost. He thought about two models: Ibanez GSA-60 and Ibanez GRX-70, but he's not sure. We wanna base our criteria on a more solid ground, can you help us? Thanks in advance. :)

|ngenius.

A beginner would probably be better off getting a guitar without a floating trem, and I believe both those models have one. It will go out of tune easily and it might get a little discouraging. If he's just beginning, I doubt he's really going to need a trem right now - and when his skill level improves to the point where he wants a trem, he'll probably want a different guitar by then anyway.

Going by the price range of the Ibanez' he's looking at, have him try out an Epiphone SG Special and see how he likes it.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030515213704065173202017178005/g=home/search/detail/base_id/41264

Thank you so much, guys. My friend did agree with the floating trem point, Silverhaze, but (talking from the depths of my ignorance) the models aforementioned don't have a floating trem, or almost that's what my friend told me.

@JC: Great, that's what we need, an opinion of someone in similar circumstances. Thanx.

|ngenius.

Either one of the Ibanez guitars are good, but Ibanez necks seem to have a tendency to lay back, and dont handle humidity changes very well. For what he's looking to spend, he could probably find a good use Washburn or Jackson, and I have to agree about the floating trem systems. Good luck

Speaking of Washburn, My "Lyon" by Washburn 24 fret bass with PJ pickups should arrive today via UPS ~ As Homer would say, "Woo-hoo!"

I haven't any trouble with my GSA60, neck included and I live in Florida where the humidity and temp is high, especially when I am playing out in my garage, only to bring it back into my air-conditioned home.

Really, that guitar is perfect for its price.

~ but getting a used guitar that is of better quality, could be the way the to go...as you have said.

I recommend the Ebay auction site ~ there are many "steals" to be stolen there.

Good luck!

I'm almost certain that neither model of Ibanez' you mentioned have locking trems. If they don't lock, you could be looking at tuning problems. Of course, crappy tuners on a non-trem guitar can give you fits too.

Ebay CAN be cool, but it's also a place where people unload their crap. Somebody who doesn't know what they are doing gives the truss rod 10 good turns....and oops.....put it on ebay. The guitar looks brand new though....

I will second what Silverhaze said about trems. When you're learning, you really don't need the distraction it provides. It will tempt you with its presence, and hinder you from learning to do a proper finger vibrato.

With a fixed bridge guitar, there's only so much that can go wrong. If you're having tuning problems, there are pretty much just the nut and the tuning heads that can be to blame.

The more features your guitar has, the more details there are to get in your way of actually playing. Any floating trem will be a headache to restring and tune before you get into the routine - and if it's a non-locking trem to boot, you're almost guaranteed to have plenty of tuning problems once you start using it for real.

I don't have much experience with Ibanez, but I can recommend Epiphones and entry level Jacksons.

'bane

if ya want a new entry level guitar check out samick. they make about 70% of the "name brand " guitars out there. i'm talking epiphone, jackson,...etc. you can get a samick lp copy for much less than a epi.
also if you're just getting into playing and are wondering about pickups and tone check outhttp://www.tonosity.com/
like silverhaze stated
Ebay CAN be cool, but it's also a place where people unload their crap. Somebody who doesn't know what they are doing gives the truss rod 10 good turns....and oops.....put it on ebay. The guitar looks brand new though....
it's better to buy a guitar that you can put your hands on. the feel of a guitar is very subjective. i recently aquired an old phantom that was abused but it's got a sweet neck so i'm rebuilding it just to see what it can do. putting the pickup out of a pedal steel in the bridge position and i'm still looking for the right neck pickup. if you buy off of e-bay you might be doing the same :ill:

dragonfu said:
if ya want a new entry level guitar check out samick. they make about 70% of the "name brand " guitars out there. i'm talking epiphone, jackson,...etc. you can get a samick lp copy for much less than a epi.
Just one note: I'm fairly certain that Samick hasn't been involved with the production of import Jacksons, because I've looked a bit into the history of Jackson and haven't seen them mentioned even once. Some entry-level Jacksons have been manufactured in Korea at certain times, but I doubt that it was by Samick. But I could be wrong of course. =)

it's better to buy a guitar that you can put your hands on. the feel of a guitar is very subjective.
Yes, very good suggestion. Go to stores and fairs to try a bunch of guitars out to see what you like.

'bane

ya could be right about the jacksons but a dealer showed me a jackson and said it was samick. all i know is that i've picked up some sweet samicks that played better than name brands. i just like supporting certain local dealers because they treat me right and i don't have to pay shipping if ther's a problem

dragonfu said:
also if you're just getting into playing and are wondering about pickups and tone check outhttp://www.tonosity.com/
like silverhaze stated
it's better to buy a guitar that you can put your hands on. the feel of a guitar is very subjective. i recently aquired an old phantom that was abused but it's got a sweet neck so i'm rebuilding it just to see what it can do. putting the pickup out of a pedal steel in the bridge position and i'm still looking for the right neck pickup. if you buy off of e-bay you might be doing the same :ill:

~ By all means, go to your local music store and try out different guitars, once you find one that feels right for you, then go on Ebay and find that same guitar (either new or used) at a far better price.

You all know ebay sells brand new merchandise at auction prices.

JesusChristPose said:
~ You all know ebay sells brand new merchandise at auction prices.

That's the truth. I bought an ESP LTD V350 from Music123.com for $299 (free shipping) and then I watched 2 of them sell on ebay for $400+. I almost sold mine!

Silverhaze said:
That's the truth. I bought an ESP LTD V350 from Music123.com for $299 (free shipping) and then I watched 2 of them sell on ebay for $400+. I almost sold mine!
~ Sounds like it can go either way. No doubt about that. As for me, I wanted at the very least a 24 fret 34" scale bass with decent pickups (PJ), solid mahogany body, maple neck, and a rosewood fretboard.

I priced various brand names. I found an Oscar Shcmidt "Lyon" by Washburn on a couple of Internet sights selling for prices between $199.00 and $249.00 (without a gig bag + S&H). I went down to my local store and found a similiar model and played it. It felt good. They wanted over $299.00 (+ tax).

I went on ebay and found the very same guitar and bought it brand new for $125.00 (including S&H and a very nice padded Washburn gig back).

It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but the UPS tracker says it will now be delivered on Monday, but that is okay, because I am off both Monday and Tuesday, so Monday is like a Saturday! Woo-hoo.

I have to agree with several posters here about the trem. You should start with a standard tremola or a fixed bridge when you are starting. Once you are comfortable with tuning the guitar and playing, you can get one with a fancy floating tremola. After you get bored with the dive bombs and stuff, then you might go back to a standard tremola or a fixed bridge because you would be willing to pay your other guitarist or bass player to tune that monster for you even though you could do it in two minutes.
Don't get me wrong, I own two guitars with floating tremolasd, but my ""workhorse" has a standard one and one of the biggest reasons it is that is because it is much more "plug and play" than the others. It has no locking nuts, no floating tremola, and no active pickup. The maintenance on it it is minimal.

Bryant

The most important factors are the pickups and neck. A maple neck is best for soloing but if it's mainly rhythm go for mahogany. For pickups customise your guitar with Seymour Duncans or EMGs, then have the action set low

Greetings :)

having owned the GSA 60, i must say that it's a splendid entry level player. as both the guitars mentioned here are trem-equipped, well these can be ignored if you don't whammy. that's what i did. you might wanna consider the GAX 70 (which i also own) if you don't want a whammy in there at all.

if you think the tone in there needs a boost, pickup swap is always an option. but given the circumstances, i'd get an upgrade guitar before investing in new pickups. i'd opt for the GSA60 simply because the curved top is more comfortable. good luck...

xander said:
A maple neck is best for soloing but if it's mainly rhythm go for mahogany.
Uhmm...that's a new one. I can probably give you a list of a dozen celebrity guitarists who use all-mahogany guitars for all sorts of situations. I do too - there's no problem whatsoever playing solos on my set-neck mahogany Flying V.

'bane