A blind test: Peavey 5150 vs AMT P1 (video)

Max Morton

Sep 21, 2008
UA, Kyiv
www.maxmorton.com
Hey! I know there were lots of reviews of these nice little AMT beasts, but let's go further! Let's do a blind test!

I made it to compare the original 5150's lead channel and the AMT P1 into 5150 poweramp. They're quite close IMHO!

You'll hear two riffs, each played twice. I'd be thankful for your guesses - or, perhaps, you'll easily distinguish "who is who":)

There is no processing on the tracks except for the hipass filter at around 50 hz. The mics' positions (I used a combination of Shure SM57 and AKG C414 B-ULS), loudness, resonance and presence settings at the poweramp are the same. However, the knobs at the AMT P1 are in a slightly different position. But I think it's OK, as soon as they can sound so similar.

So, please tell me what your thoughts are! :headbang:

upd: Ah, almost forgot! A link to the mp3's: http://www.maxmorton.com/5150vsP1.rar

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound B definitely sounds like the real amp. Not to say that sound A doesn't sound goddamn incredible for a 130 dollar pedal though! Assuming I'm right of course. Any boost or anything?

Clip B sounds like Peavey.... clip A is also nice...

Can you post your Peavey settings? What cabinet/speaker?

Thank you!

Thanks for your input! Yeah, I definitely agree - it does sound like a Peavey:)

Clip B sounds like Peavey.... clip A is also nice...

Can you post your Peavey settings? What cabinet/speaker?
Thank you!

Sure! It's a commonly used combination:

Guitar > Maxon OD9 > Peavey 5150 EVH lead channel > Gain 3.5, B6.5 M1 T6 Power amp 4 Presence 1 Resonance 8 > Mesa 4x12 Rectifier slant cab > sm57 (on axis) + c414 (edge).

Sometimes I add more resonance and use a single sm57. sometimes I blend 2 mics.

Uhhh, thanks for the comments, gentlemen! I'm eager to name the clips, but please let's keep the secret for another day or so. Not a huge mystery, really - but I'm so eager to know what are your tastes, before I shoot a global AMT Stonehead test with numerous soundclips, different guitars, cabs, etc :kickass:

I think you didn't dial them in close enough for comparision...Riff1A and Riff2B sound brighter than the counterparts, I dig it more than the others, soundwise....so I'm gonna say those are the 5150, but it's kind of hard for me to decide on that because of the difference in how it sounds...
Either way, it's pretty amazing how close they got the character in that pedal, preampwise!

Thanks for the comparison man, really interesting!

That's exactly how I hear the difference between A and B!

Thanks a lot for your kind words, Mago:)

And yeah, the aim of this test is to show that the P1 really works. As I said in another topic, P1 saved me numerous times during gigs in small towns (when I was playing guitar live, besides singing). I still often take it with me.

I think you didn't dial them in close enough for comparision...Riff1A and Riff2B sound brighter than the counterparts, I dig it more than the others, soundwise....so I'm gonna say those are the 5150, but it's kind of hard for me to decide on that because of the difference in how it sounds...
Either way, it's pretty amazing how close they got the character in that pedal, preampwise!

Thanks for the comparison man, really interesting!