A burning question...

I used to intern at a studio called Nevessa Productions in Woodstock, NY. Chris told me that he almost never looks at school credentials when hiring engineers. Its all based on initiative, as he said anything can be taught. Its just a matter of desire and ambition.

ShokaiShimizu said:
good, then that officially shuts up the "YOU NEED A COLLEGE DEGREE TO PRODUCE RECORDS" myth.

The one thing I've found though, is that the people who don't have degree's and are making a good living out of engineering/producing actually have a degree level knowledge (or, in the case of someone like Andy or James, above) of the job.

ShokaiShimizu said:
good, then that officially shuts up the "YOU NEED A COLLEGE DEGREE TO PRODUCE RECORDS" myth.

Well thats definately a "myth".... I mean, how many big name engineers do you know who actually went to school? Most of them just watched another engineer or just started buying gear and learning by trial and error.

Not to say schooling is bad though, good for networking and getting a headstart foundation on audio principles and technique.

But drive and likeability/people skills is what gets you places. If the people in the studio can't get along with you (and the talent even) they probably won't want you working with them.

Well I mean I've been doing to production/engineering thing now for about the last 6 or 7 years. I currently attend a music college right now (the only hint I'm giving because I hate telling people where, is that people who Andy mixed went there.), and their Production/Engineering program doesn't care about experience at all, they don't care about ability at all, they don't care about recordings you've done before, they ONLY CARE ABOUT YOUR GRADE POINT AVERAGE. And everyone there kisses Wilco and Radiohead's ass. You speak names like Sneap, Townsend, Nordstrom, or Bergstrand, and people look at you like you have 3 heads. It makes sense for me to be there, to make contacts and meet people, but ironically not for what I went there for, which is production/engineering.

So I'm contemplating leaving and going to SAE in New York City, at least so I can get an associate's degree...

should I even bother or should I just do as many recordings and mixes for people as I can and then start hunting for jobs?

ShokaiShimizu said:
And everyone there kisses Wilco and Radiohead's ass. You speak names like Sneap, Townsend, Nordstrom, or Bergstrand, and people look at you like you have 3 heads. It makes sense for me to be there, to make contacts and meet people, but ironically not for what I went there for, which is production/engineering.

Who knows, if they end up with a high-profile gig (or any gig for that matter) and you're looking for a job, you could be the one to get you hooked up. Make as many friends as possible really even if your musical tastes clash, if they just see you as this metal guy outsider they're less likely to be friendly especially if you aren't. People like to work with people they can get a long with.

And chances are until people are coming you for work a la Sneap, you probably shouldn't be too choosy about who or what you record.

None of my school friends listen to metal at all and the only metal guy they'd know is Bob Rock (and only because he's from my city and widely known in the local studio scene from making it bigtime), the majority are into Rap/hip-hop, consider yourself somewhat lucky.

But yeah, if the school doesn't care about engineering/production skills, I'd stop wasting money and your time and find a better school, internship that could lead to a job, or blow the money on gear and just get out there and record.

yea...I mean metal is not the only thing I want to produce, it's what I like to do the most, and I feel that majority of metal we hear is not produced that well at all anymore (Although obviously Andy's been changing that for the mainstream stuff with Killswitch and Trivium).

I love working on metal stuff, I like working on urban/electronic stuff too, fusion stuff too, and that sorta crazy Trevor Horn-esque Seal shit too. But in reality, for us to rock it, we gotta be able to do it all...

I was playing in Sabbat when I left school, signed record deal at 18, band split around age 21, sold Guitars etc for a couple of years whilst getting studio sorted, doing live sound also, then got stuck into this side of things. Parents proud?? I was fortunate that my folks encouraged me to do what I wanted, the old man seems more positive about it all these days. I have a twin brother who's done amazingly well in the computer games market, so this has always been viewed as Andy and his hobby hahaha. Proper job one day maybe..errr

Andy Sneap said:
I was playing in Sabbat when I left school, signed record deal at 18, band split around age 21, sold Guitars etc for a couple of years whilst getting studio sorted, doing live sound also, then got stuck into this side of things.

So just with the band and help from parents could you live?
that's great! my parents would had told me to get a job
Now I'm a computer programmer so I can play in a band and buy gears! No parents help!

Andy Sneap said:
I have a twin brother who's done amazingly well in the computer games market, so this has always been viewed as Andy and his hobby hahaha. Proper job one day maybe..errr

so if I go to england I have to mind about a Sneap twin brother eheheh
I don't think that there will be a better job than yours !!!
From computer you cannot get the money you get from being a producer well-know all over the world!!!
I mean you got a really busy schedule so I think this is money, big money :D!!!

Maurizio