A few ideas for getting someone into Opeth

Feb 19, 2005
Ohio
I'm taking my girlfriend to see them in February and she's liked what I've let her listen to so far. I made her two cds, one soft and one heavy. So now she's asked me to burn all of their cds for her. But I'm going to just do one at a time so she has time to listen to one and then on to the next. So what order do you think I should burn them for her? This is what I was thinking...

Blackwater Park- easily their most acceptable album for first time listeners. Pretty much shows what Opeth is completely capable of, a good mixture of heavy and soft on this album.

After that I'm thinking of letting her hear them in this order...
Damnation
Ghost Reveries
Still Life
My Arms, Your Hearse
Deliverance
Morningrise
Orchid

What do you guys think?

Well its good you're starting off with Damnation. Right after Damnation I would say GR, like you, then Still Life, again, like you.

After that, you're girlfriend has heard all the sides of Opeth, so I don't think it matters to much the order after the first three.

Oops. Didn't realize that you chose BWP first. Well, if your g/f is familiar with death vox, good choice. If not, let Damnation be the 1st pick.

I think that's a great order. The only thing I would do differently is instead of giving her Damnation first, give her Still Life. Of course, it's just my opinion and you may do as you wish, but SL has lots of very nice melodies and lyrics, not mentioning the amazing vocals.

I introduced Opeth to my friend by giving him Still Life first, and he can't stop listening to them since.

He's giving her BWP first, not Damnation.

Nice order, though I might take out GR, and throw in Orchid or Morningrise in its place. Still Life would give the same basic feel as GR, and she'd have no clue what happened when she reaches Orchid or Morningrise, without hearing that kind of sound before.

wel.. if she already liked the two cd's you gave her already, then you can just give her any of them first.
I think you're thinking too much about something that you should not be even thinking about.
peace.

I wouldn't put Damnation so high on the list simply because I don't really think it's very representative of Opeth's overall sound. It was just an experiment and Mike already said they will never release another album like that. Other than that I think the order is pretty good and I would agree BWP is a good album to start someone out with.

Damnation is the last album I'd play for someone. It's like playing early Sentenced to someone wanting to listen to Frozen, or something. What is the point? Liking Damnation will do nothing to help her get into Opeth.

Tie her to her bed (or yours) put "In Mist She Was Standing" on repeat till she loves it. If it isn't working after 4 or 5 plays, slap her around with your cock.

Then play Morningrise, Orchid and whatever the hell you want after that.

Actually I think it'd have to be the new stuff before anything seeing as they don't play anything before MYAH, and since you are taking her to seem them live get her into MYAH - GR first, and then Morningrise and Orchid.

I have heard Still Life coined as a chick cd many times. I like how you said Opeth you have "let her listen to". haha. If she has had compilations of soft and heavy she will undoubtedly like them all. Who could not love them? My Mom loves them...

Beware though, she may want you to go to some shows with her. =) Reciprocations can suck.

credence said:
Beware though, she may want you to go to some shows with her. =) Reciprocations can suck.
Nah, she's pretty much into the same music as me. She introduced me to Garden of Shadows she just never listened to Opeth.