getting back into Opeth

Reaper of Souls

What the hell?
Feb 20, 2005
Wisconsin
I use to be a huge Opeth fan, and listened to them everyday frequently. But after a couple years of this, I grew progressivly tired of them and I havent been listening to the the band for about a year. But a couple days ago I put Blackwater Park in my car cd player and it was like listening to them for the first time again, it was awesome. Has anyone had this same sort of thing happen to them with the band?

Never gotten tired of them; it is just like some other bands that I like, there are some weeks that I am in the mood of listening to other bands instead of Opeth and so you stop listening to them for a while.

Opeth are great, but after bingeing on them for a good year or two and discovering hundreds of other good bands (largely due to the influence of Opeth) I barely ever listen to them these days. There's way too much good music around to be obsessed with just one band. Of course, when a new album is on the horizon, like now, I get all gay for Opeth again. It's nice to revisit your old favorite albums when you haven't heard them in a few months.

On the contrary I just listened to BWP in its entirety last night for the first time...
And I gotta say it's pretty damn good. Except for Dirge...! :)

I don't listen to certain albums for several months, but these changes continuously, thx to the great variety in them ... although Deliverance seems to remain a constant and Still Life was as well (but now haven't listened for a couple of months already). I still put GR on occasionally, but still with the same feeling of the first times: try to get into it a bit more than just liking it (try to find that loving feeling I experienced after some listens with the other albums).

but yeah, also so many other bands out there :) + don't have time to listen to music as much as I'd like to ...

I find that the more I like an album, the less I hear it. I feel like I need to hear it only on special occasions, or when the time is just right, otherwise I can feel bad that I'm not giving the good albums the attention they "deserve". That probably explains why I can't remember the last time I listened to MAYH or Morningrise.

I always have long breakups with Opeth,i can go 6 months without listening to them,but then comes another 6 months when i almost ONLY listen to them.

this may sound fan-boyish, but i will never get tired of opeth. the things that keep me from getting sick of them are these:

1. dont force listening to them
2. keep all opeth albums that you enjoy in a nice rotation
3. pursue many other types of music, opeth will always be there for you when you want to come back around. whether you dont listen to them for weeks or years, opeth is too important to me to ever forget them.

I cant get the same enjoyment from Bleak nowadays.I wonder what I can do to get the same feelings again.

Opeth are great, but after bingeing on them for a good year or two and discovering hundreds of other good bands (largely due to the influence of Opeth) I barely ever listen to them these days. There's way too much good music around to be obsessed with just one band. Of course, when a new album is on the horizon, like now, I get all gay for Opeth again. It's nice to revisit your old favorite albums when you haven't heard them in a few months.

i can't tell you how accurately this describes me ;o