song that got you into opeth

I had heard the name ever since "Still Life" and I tried to get sound samples but there were none. Then when Blackwater Park" came out, a good friend of mine from Minnesota told me that I should give them a listen since they definitely captivated her. She described them to me. I was definitely curious. So I requested it on the Metal Show down here (which coincidentally, they started to get the Opeth records at around that time) and I heard the song "Blackwater ParK" and was instantly hooked. So I definitely have her and the metal revolution guys to thank for that.

First one was Benighted... a friend of mine was playing it in my acoustic and I loved it... he lent me all his cds and I got hooked on the softer songs... the heavier stuff grew slowly on me... and after Opeth I got into death metal and black metal so Opeth was my initiation band to heavier metal :D

I actually bought my first Opeth album on the strength of a review alone. It was a great review, actually. I can't remember what it was from, or what album it was for...

definitely Demon of The Fall...its pretty long time ago, when my friend told me that Opeth could be my cup of tea...I have tried....i have downloaded the demon and .........FANTASTIC ..... from that time whole opeth are in my heart and i will never let them escape!!!!

Bleak for me..I got into them when BWP first got leaked onto the net. Since then I've bought all of their albums and love them all more than anything. Can't wait to meet the guys and get some stuff signed on Sunday at Utopia :)

I enjoyed BWP alot when I first purchased it. However, I was still not fully 'into' it for quite a while. Then I heard 'The Twilight Is My Robe', and after that was obsessed.

So I'm saying 'The Twilight Is My Robe'.

thebigyetti said:
im sure this has been done a few times before, but im too lazy to go back and find it. the first time i heard them was blackwater park. i didn't really think much of it. i hated the fact that the songs were so long, esp blackwater park. a friend was playing it for me and i listened to it for me and after a few minutes i had to go do something, i came back 10-15 minutes later and the same song was still on. i was like "what the hell? 20 minute songs? this sucks". later on i bought a century media compilation, i think it was #5. it had iced earth - burning times, skinlab - so far from the truth, lacuna coil - my wings, borknagar - oceans rise, etc. the last song was opeth - when. one day i finally gathered the attention span to actually listen to all 9 and some change minutes of it and i was blown away. ever since then i listen to them quite frequently. theyre not my favorite band, but i like them a lot. when is still my favorite song, then probably face of melinda.
The Night and the Silent Water...
and i Love every song they have ever written

Guardian of Darkness said:
I actually bought my first Opeth album on the strength of a review alone. It was a great review, actually. I can't remember what it was from, or what album it was for...

:lol:

Advent - i didnt even like it at first, my mate downloaded it, and i liked the music, but wasnt sure about the voice, it grew on me though iv never looked back :D