Singing Opeth

Puzzlebox

Jan 20, 2006
What are your favorite songs of Opeth to song (growl) along to?
In the car?
Wherever!

Do you do it?
Can you do it?

Mine are Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Ghost of Perdition...

I find myself singing along to Face of Melinda a lot. I can do death growls but I tend not to do it along to songs that I'm listening to as I find you have to do it at full blast or not at all, don't think my housemates would be too impressed.

What are your favorite songs of Opeth to song (growl) along to?
In the car?
Wherever!

Do you do it?
Can you do it?

Mine are Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Ghost of Perdition...

post a vid, like all the other growlers on you tube, I know you want to:erk:

If it hurts then you're doing it right...

That's the best piece of advice I've heard! :kickass:

...you were joking, right? :lol:

I guess it should feel tingly, and you might feel like throwing up. But it should never be painful, just remember that. Even avoid tingling sensations and you'll get it right.

I can do a little "mongolian" throat singing, but I haven't figured out how to make deep growls though.

As for general advice, I would avoid smoking and drinking too much. Experiment with different movements in the back throat, and use your upper stomach to force air up. I think that if you're doing it right, you should feel a lot of vibrations - not in your throat, but deeper down.

I tried to learn how to growl during 1 week but I failed... I heard something like diaghram lifting or someting :S ?

The diaphragm is the upper stomach, just below the ribs. That's what you use to gain a stable and constant growl - the basis of all singing, if I've got it right.

Thanks for advices! In fact I can't even sing clean that would be stupid to try growling :p I think I'll stay with guitars I dont have a good voice... :(

Haven't been doing much growl-alongs since everybody immediatly tells me to shut up ! From the clean department I like to sing "Harvest", "Death whispered a lullaby" and "In my time of need" :)

ive recorded april athereal a while ago .. check it out!

/bad quality at the beginning ;)

Last edited by a moderator: