Singing Opeth

I love to sing Moonlapse Vertigo, White Cluster, Burden (especially the Ohhhhh, part at the end I love adding my own harmonies), Bleak, Ghost of Perdition and In My Time of Need. Since it's my favorite Opeth song of all, I want to add When!

Demon of the Fall takes a while to be as powerful in the outro but once you can, mesmorising.

I think the easiest Opeth moment to sing and sound spectacular is Moonlapse Vertigo.

Edit: Yes When! Just before the "And I cried.." I've been trying to play and sing at the same time. Haven't perfected it yet.

I've been listening to Opeth since like 10th grade and I eventually learned how to growl, now 6 1/2 years later. My advice is to just practice making the sound in whatever way you can, don't worry about making the words. Also, having bad sinuses (or drinking heavy mixed drinks with OJ) helps a bit. It'll come from the back of your throat.

I love growling along to Opeth, but I don't have near the lung capacity developed, because my growling takes a lot of air to sustain. It's fun to try to emulate the growls on, like, The Moor's opening growl. I know it's a few growls overlapped, but I like to think one of them is a big 10-second growl (or however long it is).

As for regular singing, anything from Damnation or Blackwater Park. Face of Melinda and Harlequin Forest get honorable mention.

Pretty much, I growl all of Still Life, Deliverance, and Ghost Reveries. As far as growling goes though, one thing you have to realize is that growling and screaming are so totally different. Screaming will destroy your throat and usually sound like garbage. Also, for me anyways, clean vocals are MUCH more tiring on my voice than death vox. I've also found that drinking a very cold drink while growling helps alot.
Anyways, for all you non-growlers out there who wish you could, try practicing on Brave by Katatonia. Simple song, not too demanding, and lotsa long growling notes. It's still personally a favorite to sing along to ^^
Also, the car is your best friend. It's your own little vocal studio :)

i've found that it's easier to do a "cookie monster" pitch after listening to a fair amount of doom and death metal

if i get psyched i'll post one of my songs :)

also drink lots of water when you're growling, it helps with stamina, 'least it does for me..

My user name came from drunk Damnation karaoke sessions. At the time in a drunken state I thought it would be funny if Mike started using disease as a major lyrical context and I started singing disease in the chorus all of the ballads haha.

Mikael (particularly in live situations) usually uses the phlegm in his throat. He has a way of bringing it up to the back of his throat and it vibrates. That combined with his demonic rage makes him awesome. :)