A little help from the experts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelata

FINAL SIGN
Mar 6, 2006
North Carolina
www.facebook.com
I have not been paying attention to a lot of newer Prog Metal for the last few years...several years, actually.

I grew up loving Kansas and Rush. Then I got into Queensryche and Fates Warning. I got into Dream Theater when Images & Words came out and was floored! From that point up until about 2002 or so, I soaked up any Prog-related Metal I could find. I was into the aforementioned bands plus Conception, Vanden Plas, Lenur Voice, Shadow Gallery, Symphony X, Superior, Enchant, Altura, Artension, Andromeda, Mullmuzzler, Ayreon, Dali's Dilemma, Platypus, Spock's Beard, Zero Hour, Ark, etc. You get the idea.

Well, since about 2002 I never paid close attention to it and don't really know much about new bands (post 2002) in the genre other than seeing the names here. I'm more into the Prog-leaning Metal and not so much the Prog/Power-leaning Metal. The closest thing to Power Metal within Prog that I really dig is Symphony X. Stuff like Sabaton doesn't really interest me.

So, all that said, can I get you guys to recommend me 2 or 3 albums that you consider top tier Prog Metal from the last 5 years or so? Preferably from a band I didn't list above...like a band that formed after 2007 or so.

:kickass:

Damn..this could be a big list...just off the top of my head alone....

Beyond the Bridge- The Old Man & the Spirit
Circus Maximus- Introspect
Haken- Visions
Headspace- I Am Anonymous
Leprous- Bilateral
Lost in Thought- Opus Arise
Pagan's Mind- Celestial Entrance
Redemption- The Fullness of Time
Riverside- Out of Myself
Sun Caged- The Lotus Effect

Damn..this could be a big list...just off the top of my head alone....

Beyond the Bridge- The Old Man & the Spirit
Circus Maximus- Introspect
Haken- Visions
Headspace- I Am Anonymous
Leprous- Bilateral
Lost in Thought- Opus Arise
Pagan's Mind- Celestial Entrance
Redemption- The Fullness of Time
Riverside- Out of Myself
Sun Caged- The Lotus Effect

I think you meant Isolate. :p

Let me go ahead and add a few more to the list:

Suspyre - Self Titled
Adagio - Underworld
Kingcrow - Phlegethon
Vangough - Manikin Parade
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane

Cool...thanks guys.

I have heard Redemption because of the FW connection, and they're killer. But the majority of those listed I have never heard or heard of...I'll definitely check them out. Spotify look out!

I'd toss in one of Seventh Wonder's last two offerings: Mercy Falls or The Great Escape. Musically, I slightly prefer the coherence of Mercy Falls, but the actor voice overs are a turn off for some.

Have you heard Suspyre's When Time Fades or Wolverine's Communication Lost? You should check out Pantommind's Lunasense if you like Conception and Sun Caged if you like the guitar work on Lemur Voice.

Glenn's list will certainly keep you busy, but I'd like to add a personal favorite from 2005 for consideration. Definitely leans more to the proggy side than power.

Age of Nemesis - Psychogeist

Unfortunately, this band doesn't seem to be very active anymore.

Beyond twilight
Eumeria
Mindflow
Haji's Kitchen
Magic Pie
Appearance Of Nothing
Moonspell(Kinda Goth, but really proggy)
Orphaned Land
Star One
Scale the Summit
and all the ones mentioned above especially Beyond the Bridge and Circus Maximus

HOLY CRAP gotta add the new band WITHEM, awesome stuff

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Voj0WWnCA&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.