A NEW OPETH DVD IN LONDON..??.....MIKES WORDS...!!!

Illidan said:
"The London (UK) Roundhouse concert will be filmed for a (very) possible DVD."

I thought a little about this and the comments posted here, and it doesn't sound to me like Opeth would do the same set as on Lamentations. The DVD is probably "very" possible (and I'm only speculating) because Roadrunner is negotiating for the rights of older Opeth albums. That means that Opeth is going to go ahead and play a nice set (the new and the D/D and the old), and if Roadrunner gets the rights to older songs, then it'll become a DVD. If they don't get the rights, than it'll probably end up bootlegged on Google Video like that nice Norwegian concert in '03. Just a thought.

is this your theory? i dont think anyone has the rights to pre BWP material. so i think opeth can play anything they wish.

Whatever label produces or releases their DVD will be profiting from it. Because Music for Nations didn't have the rights to any songs before BWP, Opeth couldn't play anything before that album for the Lamentations set (or it might've been that Music for Nations didn't want them to play any material that wouldn't promote albums released under their label). Opeth can still play whatever they want on a regular show, but for a DVD, I'm guessing the rules change a bit. So if Roadrunner get some control over older material, it'll be made into a DVD. If not, then it won't. That's my theory.

Illidan said:
Whatever label produces or releases their DVD will be profiting from it. Because Music for Nations didn't have the rights to any songs before BWP, Opeth couldn't play anything before that album for the Lamentations set (or it might've been that Music for Nations didn't want them to play any material that wouldn't promote albums released under their label). Opeth can still play whatever they want on a regular show, but for a DVD, I'm guessing the rules change a bit. So if Roadrunner get some control over older material, it'll be made into a DVD. If not, then it won't. That's my theory.

lol you pretty much said all that in your last post, you must love typing!

I'm so sick of reading this bullshit about not having the rights when in reality no one here actually knows who has the rights to the music. Either prove to me that roadrunner can't put out a dvd with older material with an actual source, or shut the hell up about the rights.

BurningSky said:
I'm so sick of reading this bullshit about not having the rights when in reality no one here actually knows who has the rights to the music. Either prove to me that roadrunner can't put out a dvd with older material with an actual source, or shut the hell up about the rights.
because that's what happened with Lamentations. how many people have said that in this thread so far? nobody knows if they have rights to the old material now or not, including you. people are rightfully worrying over a logical and obviously relevant *points at Lamentations once again* concern based on what happened before. do you get it now? good lord

BurningSky said:

If you comprehended it the first time then you wouldn't have to keep reading.

It has been said a thousand times that they didn't have the rights then(it's all speculation as to what has been secured now). Otherwise, they would have played Benighted instead of Harvest on Lamentations(like every other stop that tour) and they would not have cut out Demon of The Fall.

Benighted1 said:
lol you pretty much said all that in your last post, you must love typing!
I enjoy typing. Typing is one of the things I enjoy. I would prefer to indulge myself in a re-summarizing of things I have already said for no one's benefit. Enjoying typing is one of the things that I do. Doing typing is one of the things I enjoy. You get the picture, haha...

BurningSky said:
GIVE ME THE PROOF!!! Nah, I don't actually know. I don't actually know too much about copyrights, but as House said, it's what happened with Lamentations. Anyway, though, that's why I've said "just a theory" and "just a thought", to dodge people like yourself that would freak out over nothing. I guess you're just too good at not reading.

BurningSky said:

what a fucking idiotic thing to say this is a forum, numb-nuts, where people discuss things.

jesus suffering fuck, what a moron...

I'm pretty sure the problem was that Music For Nations didn't want to pay a relatively small fee that has to be paid to the publishing company for using songs that they have no rights for. It also happened with Anathema for their "Were You There?" DVD. They were also in MFN and they only played songs from their three records on that label. They have released another DVD since in which they have included songs from previous albums and even a cover.

A cover works the same way, they just have to pay a small fee since the song doesn't belong to the same publishing company, and since they have released a cover with Roadrunner (Soldier Of Fortune), that should be a pretty good indication af what's going to happen with the older tracks. So in a nutshell, I'm pretty sure there will be old tracks on any new DVD the guys release.

hey, i was talking to Peter at the gig in portsmouth tonight (i'm also going on thursday) and he said they will only playing songs from before the latest 4 albums, except for one unreleased song. because they are producing the DVD independantly they aren't using the roadrunner owned songs.

at portsmouth songs they played that would qualify:

night and the silent water, face of melinda & when