A new, sober, thread about single malt scotch whisky thread.

been sipping a bottle of Baker's for the last few weeks ... Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 53.5% ... it's strong even taking a whif of it.

I was looking at the Pappy that Ken reco'd when I bought it, but its like $70 a bottle, so will just make someone buy me a bottle for xmas.

On a side note, did you guys know that Absinthe is once again legal in the US? ...

been sipping a bottle of Baker's for the last few weeks ... Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 53.5% ... it's strong even taking a whif of it.

I was looking at the Pappy that Ken reco'd when I bought it, but its like $70 a bottle, so will just make someone buy me a bottle for xmas.

On a side note, did you guys know that Absinthe is once again legal in the US? ...

So, it can be sold in a liquor store?

Man, ANY Old Rip Van Winkle bourbon is amazing tbqfh.

Yeah I just read about the absinthe bit, something about how it was illegal here for years due to being classified as a narcotic, then some dude reverse engineered it (or something) and found out the level of wormwood was approx. 99% less than your average drinking water so they let it through. I may have made up some of that. I need to get some.

C_12yr90pLabel.jpg

That's the only Van Winkle I've had. Best bourbon I've tried, and I've tried some pretty decent ones.

looks like the expensive variety to begin with ... local ones.
absinthe can taste real good according to that article ... the local makers are trying to smooth it out.

but in reality it really tastes not that great, the Euro versions anyway ... but it really does fuck you up in weird ways.

it does deliver in spades fo sho ... anything else of the same caliber in the same price range?

it does deliver in spades fo sho ... anything else of the same caliber in the same price range?
I would say all of the high end Jim Beam bourbons are worth trying out. Much of it comes down to how much bite you prefer in your drink. Bakers, Bookers, Knob Creek and Basil Haydens are all superb products. And of course by personal favorite, Woodford Reserve.

Zod

i killed a bottle of Woodford's some months back finally, and while great, it did not have enough bite for me.

So Whiskey is good shite eh?!?! How much money do you need to shell out to come to this conclusion? My sole experience is based on a $5 bottle of Wild Turkey which I got on 50% mark down.

Woodford was the 2nd whiskey I ever tried, immediatley after Jack Daniels in a blind taste test held by my dad's alcohol-connosieur/drunkard friend Lou. Obviously we both (my dad and I, the subjecfts of the test) picked Woodford

So Whiskey is good shite eh?!?! How much money do you need to shell out to come to this conclusion? My sole experience is based on a $5 bottle of Wild Turkey which I got on 50% mark down.
Find a non-super-popular bottle for around $25 and you're set.

For a scotch example, Dalmore is quite good at that price. Johnny Walker and Glenlivet are shit. For bourbon, Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek are great.

Note: Glenlivet was my introduction to fine scotch, but I have since learned that really, it just isn't very good. Johnny Walker isn't even worth mentioning, except that is at least the third time that I have in this thread, dammit.