A problem with Circus Maximus...

I'll admit to not being very high on CM before their set. I've had the cd since it was released, but it just never grabbed me enough to give it repeated listens - I've discussed this reason in many posts, no need to rehash. So, I was anxious to hear them live, because I thought the performance on the cd was extremely well done, and they really took me by surprise, somewhat. I knew they were talented, but, not being into the cd, I didn't think I would enjoy their set as much as I did. Definitely a highlight of the weekend.

I have the same problem, these guys blew me away this year...

Last year it was Tad Morose that did it...

LOVE The 1st Chapter

80's AL

Honestly, this was my MAIN reason for attending this year. Not to take anything away from any of the other performers. I just wanted to see CM in the live setting. CM was amazing!

I was hooked on this CD for like a month and then put it away, forgetting about it completely. Its a good CD, but the similarities to Dream Theater and other prog metal bands is simply too much to not ignore. The only track that I really keep coming back to is the epic, First Chapter.

Good debut, but hopefully they'll grow creatively on the next CD.

Ahamkara said:
I was hooked on this CD for like a month and then put it away, forgetting about it completely. Its a good CD, but the similarities to Dream Theater and other prog metal bands is simply too much to not ignore. The only track that I really keep coming back to is the epic, First Chapter.

I feel the same, but the 'influences' didn't seem as readily apparent live as I thought they might. I hope, and believe, they can grow and bring more of themselves to future albums. They are definitely a talented bunch of guys.

That's how I originally felt about the CD, but listening to them live was completely different. I think the CD is maybe a bit too polished/over-produced and the live performance was a bit more "raw" and definitely preferable.

Ahamkara said:
Its a good CD, but the similarities to Dream Theater and other prog metal bands is simply too much to not ignore.
Admittedly, I'm not much of a DT fan, so I don't hear the similarities you hear. If anything, the most pronounced influence I hear, is "Empire" era Queensryche vibe in the lyrics and vocals.

Ahamkara said:
Well, it's always a good thing for bands to grow creatively between releases. However, I think "The 1st Chapter" is very creative, especially for a debut. I'm not suggesting you couldn't list any, but out of curiosity, just how many debuts can you list that are more creative?

Zod