A question about copy protection

dreamwatch

Syntax error
All I know about this is that greedy record industry types are adding this to most new CD's and it stops people from ripping it on their puters. But someone mentioned to me that it also prevents copying via minidisc - please, someone tell me this is bullshit? I know it's not the case in big markets like the US, but in Asia and much of Europe the minidisc is the main way most people listen to music on the move. I copy my new CD's to minidisc and listen to them on my way too and from work for months before I will listen to it on my stereo, so for all intents and purposes I'll have to stop buying CD's.

So come on you guys in the know, whats the beef? :)

Isn't the minidisc thing just a case of you playing it through the headphone jack and the MD recording it? One would think it would work in that case... I'm no expert though. *shrug*

It might mess with transferring it via the optical input. But I dont know. I should try one day and see what happens.

I chucked it in my cdrom last night and ripped it to Mp3 without a glitch. Nice copy protection eh?

Goreripper said:
I just got the new Morbid Angel as a promo. To stop people ripping it, the individual audio tracks (13 songs) are spread across 96 track numbers!
:lol: Bastards! There must be some promos out there without that though because I know theres full versions on the net in MP3 form. I think the cassette thing they did for the new Dimmu Borgir album is about the best copy protection there is these days :lol:

Goreripper said:
Trying to stop CD ripping is like trying to stop the tide coming in.

Yeah, made even more funny by the fact that their copy protection doesn't even force people to try to get around it. Just need to put it in the computer and rip away!

They must be getting better though - coz when copy protection came out I heard stories about it not playing in car stereo's and computers (no idea how true that was). So far DoD works fine....

spawn said:
I think the cassette thing they did for the new Dimmu Borgir album is about the best copy protection there is these days :lol:

Not really, if you play the cassette while you have audio in from sterio to your sound card you can just record each track as a wav file then encode it to mp3. It's shit quality, but you can do it.

I know thats my point, its shit quality so if people like it they still have an incentive to buy an album :)

The new IM is copy protected - but I managed to rip it to my computer at work no trouble. Copying from the disc to a minidisc should still work fine as it is only copying sound waves not the data on the disc.

Just to let you know a copy protected disc (notice I used disc not cd) is not actually a compact disc - Phillips is fighting any copy protected disc being called a CD because it is strictly not a CD.

I have nothing but pity and scorn for anyone into metal who cannot enjoy Dimmu Borgir.

Draven: To be labeled a CD, a disk has to conform to certain standards and restrictions. Most copy protection schemes violate those standards and restrictions, so they can't be labeled CDs.

Koichi said:
YOUR A FUCKWIT :tickled:

I do know correct grammar though :)

Draven: They are FAR better than shittily produced kvlt necro grim tr00 bands you listen to while you run through a forest. In makeup. While it snows. At night. Carrying garden tools. All here tonight on Abbaths Backyard.