A question for the record industry folks...

Production of anything is never free. As a photographer, it's almost insulting that you believe these services are provided at no cost. However, I understand that people don't think about it.

You misunderstand... It is absurd to think that the photo SHOOT would be anymore free than the RECORDING SESSIONS to make the damn record.

What I'm saying is this. With a CD booklet it costs more the more pages you have to print. When you are downloading a zipped file...it does not matter how many things are in the there. You have to have already PAID the photographer as well as the studio to create the item and you probably have created these extras to include with the physical manifestation. There is no reason not to just stick them in with the folder people are buying when they choose the download option rather than having it shipped.

When I say it is free...I mean that the label should not incurr anymore cost burdan on distributing a download that contains only the mp3's and the album art as opposed to a download that contains the mp3's, album art, other art, band photo's, and the lyrics. They have already paid for these things...why not make them available.

And for the record...I pay good money...out of my pocket...to our photographers to shoot our shows. I also paid for the album art this year myself because I really, really liked the work and it was going for more than our budget allowed as a band.

Rant aside...just give those of us who are paying for music in download form the same neat art and lyrics that we get when we buy the CD. The labels have them done already...so why not?

And as music moves to soley digital...as I think it will eventualy... why not get even more creative with the extras that come with downloaded music.

I would not say the fans were "screwing over the band"...the fans just want the music...it's those Russian labels in particular who are screwing over everybody.

I agree. People are not screwing over anybody if they do not believe that they are doing so. They have been conned just as much as the band.

Will do...and thanks.

I'm hoping that after playing the Thursday night show this year in Atlanta and after the second album comes out shortly thereafter...that intrest will grow enough in the band that we will be able to do a bit more traveling. I would love to head west.

I suspect there are four possible incentives:

1. Collector
2. Want a high quality rip (320 Kbps or FLAC)
3. Morality /Legality
4. To support the artist/scene

Those are all valid and here's another one that I always use when people ask me why I still buy CDs:

You can't get an mp3 signed at a show.

I guess this falls under being a collector/supporting the scene but it seems more...personal, I guess you could say.