Here's my review by numbers.

1. The Mirror's Truth - Not a great song..but not bad at all. 6/10
2. Disconnected - A grower, Sounds similar to TMT but alot stronger. 7/10
3. Sleepless Again - Oh My...Sounds like the perfect mix of old/new. 9/10
4. Alias - Def a new Favorite of mine. 10/10
5. I'm the Highway - Another awesome song, The chorus is very catchy. 8.5/10
6. Delight and Angers - Sweet song, 7.5/10
7. Move Through me - Again..nothing wrong here 8/10
8. The Chosen Pessemist - Possibly one of IF's greatest moments ever. I don't care what anyone says The last 5 minutes of this song are pure Epic. Anders sounds good too. 10/10
9. SOber and Irrelevant - Starts out fast...very Egonomic/versus Terminus feel here...Love it. 9/10
10. Condemned - Starts out heavy...Don't really like that riff to much..But then a Classic Melodic Death Metal riff follows with awesome leads at points..2 killer solos. 9.5/10
11. Drenched in Fear - Another killer song.. The leads throughout the song are very memorable and that chorus kills me everytime..in a very good way! 10/10
12 - March to the Shore - I feel they coudlv'e replaced this one with ERASER but it aint bad...Actually very nice and fast. 7/10

This review is after about 30 good listens.

Overall IF know exactly what they are doing these days.

My album rankings are as follows

The Jester Race
Colony
Reroute to Remain
Whoracle
Clayman
A Sense of Purpose
Lunar Strain
Come Clarity

Soundtrack to your Escape

The Jester Race
Colony
Reroute to Remain
Whoracle
Clayman
A Sense of Purpose
Lunar Strain
Come Clarity

I would say:

Whoracle
The Jester Race
Colony
Clayman
A Sense Of Purpose
Reroute To Remain
Come Clarity
Lunar Strain
Soundtrack To Your Escape

1. The Mirror's Truth - Not a great song..but not bad at all. 6/10
2. Disconnected - A grower, Sounds similar to TMT but alot 1. stronger. 7/10
3. Sleepless Again - Oh My...Sounds like the perfect mix of old/new. 9/10
4. Alias - Def a new Favorite of mine. 10/10
5. I'm the Highway - Another awesome song, The chorus is very catchy. 8.5/10
6. Delight and Angers - Sweet song, 7.5/10
7. Move Through me - Again..nothing wrong here 8/10
8. The Chosen Pessemist - Possibly one of IF's greatest moments ever. I don't care what anyone says The last 5 minutes of this song are pure Epic. Anders sounds good too. 10/10
9. SOber and Irrelevant - Starts out fast...very Egonomic/versus Terminus feel here...Love it. 9/10
10. Condemned - Starts out heavy...Don't really like that riff to much..But then a Classic Melodic Death Metal riff follows with awesome leads at points..2 killer solos. 9.5/10
11. Drenched in Fear - Another killer song.. The leads throughout the song are very memorable and that chorus kills me everytime..in a very good way! 10/10
12 - March to the Shore - I feel they coudlv'e replaced this one with ERASER but it aint bad...Actually very nice and fast. 7/10

This review is after about 30 good listens.

Overall IF know exactly what they are doing these days.

The Jester Race
Colony
Reroute to Remain
Whoracle
Clayman
A Sense of Purpose
Lunar Strain
Come Clarity

QFT

That song gives me goosebumps everytime...just epic.

Anders hits some notes I didn't know he could hit too.

Oh and my rankings list:

Clayman
Colony
The Jester Race
A Sense Of Purpose
Reroute To Remain
Whoracle
Come Clarity
Lunar Strain

I registered on this forum purely to share my thoughts on this Album after giving it a few listens for the past couple of days. So I really love In Flames before RTR, I think the new Behind Space is possibly the best metal song ever created, but have been growing more and more disappointed with the band with each new album they released, like most have/are. I'm one of those harsh critics who hates new In Flames, and thought they were going for a more Korn-like sound.

Well I graciously accept the refute from In Flames with A Sense Of Purpose. I won't comment on every song, but I think many fans will be pleased with this album. I think all but 2 or 3 songs sound great, but worth special mentioning are:

The Chosen Pessimist

An 8 Minute long IF song that sounds like no other. I just find how this song progresses is incredible.

Tilt

This is where I feel like a small child from the way I interpret the lyrics to this song. Read the lyrics and interpret it for yourself, even if you don't the music is far superior to the songs on the previous 3 albums, I think.

Overall the lyrical quality, meaning, and original playing style is far more noticeable in this album. I can tell I'm not done being impressed by it, and I actually have a reason to see them live now beyond hearing Behind Space live.

Lunar Strain since it's really out their in style you should expect it to be either hit or miss with most people. I wouldn't take it as an insult though, it's still a good album just people put others before it.

Pretty clear evolution from Lunar to Subterranean to Jester. The biggest jump was Jester to Whoracle.

And how can you put Lunar Strain below stuff like STYE and R2R?
Nevermind, not worth the argument.

Wait, the biggest jump was Jester to Whoracle? Care to elaborate on that? I'm pretty sure the biggest jump is Whoracle to Colony...

Sure there is a noticeable difference, but it's not huge. The guitars are different, but still very melodic, vocals are almost exactly the same, lyrics are different but still fantasy based...

Then we move to Colony, and we have very different vocals, clean vocals that aren't Anders just talking (albeit very, very small amounts). The guitars don't sound completely inspired by Maiden, much faster tempo all around, and some lyrics that are completely different from the past albums.

Unless I'm missing something huge...

Heres my shitty alternate cover for the album.

Mysenseofpurpose.jpg

Can someone make a good replacement? Cause the original artwork blows.

What is with the hate for Lunar Strain?

I don't think there's any hate for the album. It's just a very acquired taste. I personally rate it pretty low in my favourite albums list, but that's not to say it's a bad album (it's definitely above STYE).

Here's mine:

The Mirror's Truth - some good parts, but a bit too simple for my liking. 6/10.

Disconnected - some good parts also but the chorus and lyrics let the song down. I do like the growls though. 6/10.

Sleepless Again - I don't get this song. Seems like a filler to me. There's a nice solo though. 5/10.

Alias - Nice. It's very different and has grown on me. The second half is cool. 8/10.

I'm The Highway - A catchy, quick song - in a good way. I like it. 8/10.

Delight and Angers - Another filler? It just seems a bit boring. 4/10.

Move Through Me - Nice solo. Cool . 8/10.

The Chosen Pessimist - Very different. I like the chilled out structure. Comes together for a thick, juicy ending. 9/10.

Sober and Irrelevant - One of the best on the album IMO. Not as catchy as the others, but it's a decent song. 9/10.

Condemned - I don't know if this deserves a ten, but I'm giving it. I love this song. Realistically, THIS is the direction In Flames should take. The chorus doesn't fit with the rest, but I don't care. 10/10.

Drenched In Fear - Again, it's a bit simple for me. OK song though. 7/10.

March To The Shore - I like this, it's catchy and has an urgent sound. 8/10.

Here's a link to CD Japan:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TFCK-87435

Their track listing for the new album has the EP songs on it.

1. MIRROR'S TRUTH,THE
2. DISCONNECTED
3. SLEEPLESS AGAIN
4. ALIAS
5. I'M THE HIGHWAY
6. DELIGHT AND ANGERS
7. MOVE THROUGH ME
8. CHOSEN PESSIMIST,THE
9. SOBER AND IRRELEVANT
10. CONDEMNED
11. DRENCHED IN FEAR
12. MARCH TO SHORE
13. ERASER
14. TILT
15. ABNEGATION

Here are my rankings:

Clayman
The Jester Race
Colony
Whoracle
A Sense Of Purpose
Reroute To Remain
Come Clarity
Soundtrack
Lunar Strain

Colony
The Jester Race
Clayman
Whoracle
A Sense Of Purpose
Come Clarity
Reroute To Remain
Lunar Strain

Subterranean is their finest work overall.