A Sense of Purpose

I've been listening to ASOP now for about 3 weeks and the simplicity of the songs is really getting to me. Besides The Chosen Pessimist, every other song has the same structure and is so predictable. Intro/verse/chorus/verse//chorus/solo/chorus. They really need to change it up cause it's gonna get boring. I say another couple weeks of listening to this and I'm gonna file it away and put on The Jester Race and Whoracle and remember how good In Flames once were.

I've been listening to ASOP now for about 3 weeks and the simplicity of the songs is really getting to me. Besides The Chosen Pessimist, every other song has the same structure and is so predictable. Intro/verse/chorus/verse//chorus/solo/chorus. They really need to change it up cause it's gonna get boring. I say another couple weeks of listening to this and I'm gonna file it away and put on The Jester Race and Whoracle and remember how good In Flames once were.

good

"Current Melo Death Acts ..Dark Tranquillity" What? I don't get Why people praise Dark Tranquillity..To me they were always a 2nd rate In FLames....Sure there new albums are alot better then new In FLames...but IMO.

TJR, W, COL, CLAY are better then anything pre haven.

Minds I is boring, used to love it but something has turned me off...The Gallery is overrated and boring as well...Just My Opinion though.

Same for the jester race, this ''classic'' is overrated as hell too, and i prefer the gallery imo.

Ok, my opinion after listening more to ''A sense of purpose '' has changed,again. :saint:

1; The mirrors truth: Pretty boring,melodic but too boring. 5/10
2; Disconnected: lyrics sucks alot, but pretty ok song. 6,5/10
3; Sleepless again: The keyboards sound sucks, expect for that, the song is pretty good. 7/10
4:alias: lots of in flames fans like this song, i don't. i think it's not good and definitely not ''catchy'' 5/10
5: I'm the highway: Nothing special,not bad. 6/10
6:Delight and angers: THIS is catchy. 7,5/10
7:Move through me: Another catchy song,pretty good solo. 7,5/10
8:The chosen pessimist: I never realy enjoyed Anders clean vocals, and this is no exception. 5/10
9:Sober and irrelevant: good song, great riffs, one of my favourite new in flames songs. 8/10
10:Condemnded: another good song, catchy and GOOD clean vocal performance. 8/10
11:Drenched in fear: DEATH GROWLS! :kickass: this is my opinion the best song on asop, catchy,melodic and heavy. 9/10
12:March to the store: same as drenched in fear, great vocal performance, heavy and meldodic. 9/10

Rate: 6,9 rounded to 7

In my opinion Anders should focus on his growls, not his clean vocals.

I'd suggest Anders is changing to this half-clean/half-growl style in order to preserve his voice, as during a lot of 2002 his voice was fucked up from the growls he had to reproduce from Colony/Clayman (check the Live in Seoul 2002 boot to see what I mean, a lot of shows around the end of 2001-2002 and even some of 2003 showcase Anders was struggling maintaining his voice).

I'd suggest Anders is changing to this half-clean/half-growl style in order to preserve his voice, as during a lot of 2002 his voice was fucked up from the growls he had to reproduce from Colony/Clayman (check the Live in Seoul 2002 boot to see what I mean, a lot of shows around the end of 2001-2002 and even some of 2003 showcase Anders was struggling maintaining his voice).

Yeah, songs like ''episode 666'' and even ''ordinary story'' sounded horrible, great setlist but Anders had some problems with his voice.

Ok, my opinion after listening more to ''A sense of purpose '' has changed,again. :saint:

1; The mirrors truth: Pretty boring,melodic but too boring. 5/10
2; Disconnected: lyrics sucks alot, but pretty ok song. 6,5/10
3; Sleepless again: The keyboards sound sucks, expect for that, the song is pretty good. 7/10
4:alias: lots of in flames fans like this song, i don't. i think it's not good and definitely not ''catchy'' 5/10
5: I'm the highway: Nothing special,not bad. 6/10
6:Delight and angers: THIS is catchy. 7,5/10
7:Move through me: Another catchy song,pretty good solo. 7,5/10
8:The chosen pessimist: I never realy enjoyed Anders clean vocals, and this is no exception. 5/10
9:Sober and irrelevant: good song, great riffs, one of my favourite new in flames songs. 8/10
10:Condemnded: another good song, catchy and GOOD clean vocal performance. 8/10
11:Drenched in fear: DEATH GROWLS! :kickass: this is my opinion the best song on asop, catchy,melodic and heavy. 9/10
12:March to the store: same as drenched in fear, great vocal performance, heavy and meldodic. 9/10

Rate: 6,9 rounded to 7

In my opinion Anders should focus on his growls, not his clean vocals.

Good ratings!

The Seoul show is one of the worst I've heard for Anders, his voice has clearly failed him and he spends much of the concert clearly holding near his throat uncomfortably. I commend him for getting through the show, to be honest. The show in London, England(w/slipknot) around the same-ish time is also quite bad, Anders is basically yelling rather than screaming and it doesn't sound so good. I think a change of his vox is for the better if he can't reproduce his older vocals without hurting himself.

Honestly for all you people saying Ander's sucks now...The vocals on the new album are almost Impossible to mimic....He doesn't Growl or Sing its kind of a Growlsing...Very hard to do..I give him props.

His vocals are difficult to mimic but keep in mind that doesn't neccassarily make them GOOD, it just makes them unique. I do think Anders has as usual gotten bashed too much, but that's been the case ever since R2R when people made him the scapegoat for In Flames new direction. I think he's comfortable with his vocals now and this is likely to be his style for the foreseeable future.

Well You can't Blaim Anders..Doesn't Bjorn and Jesper Write almost everything..?

Anders started to get bashed when Clayman came out...My friend HATES his vocals on Clayman. I never cared..The music still ruled and his cleans were awesome at this point.

I don't blame Anders personally, but he's the frontman and when he changed his image to the dreds and stuff everyone literally seemed to be like "OMG JONATHON DAVIS... SELLOUT!!11" and Anders has received a lot of bashing for purportedly being the reason In Flames changed direction, probably because his voice has become more prominent in songs and the guitars took a step back. However, as you said, Bjorn and Jesper write the majority of songs and are the main creative forces in the band, therefore I believe if one is to lay blame it has to be spread upon all members, not just Anders.

I could see why your friend would dislike Clayman's vocals - they do sound strained and there's a lot of effects on them to add depth, but I personally like them. I'd say Anders cleans were on their peak at Colony (A helpless excuse... A FALLEN REALITYYYY!) Clayman features a lot of mumbling, heh.

I don't blame Anders personally, but he's the frontman and when he changed his image to the dreds and stuff everyone literally seemed to be like "OMG JONATHON DAVIS... SELLOUT!!11" and Anders has received a lot of bashing for purportedly being the reason In Flames changed direction, probably because his voice has become more prominent in songs and the guitars took a step back. However, as you said, Bjorn and Jesper write the majority of songs and are the main creative forces in the band, therefore I believe if one is to lay blame it has to be spread upon all members, not just Anders.

I could see why your friend would dislike Clayman's vocals - they do sound strained and there's a lot of effects on them to add depth, but I personally like them. I'd say Anders cleans were on their peak at Colony (A helpless excuse... A FALLEN REALITYYYY!) Clayman features a lot of mumbling, heh.

Colony/clayman had some good clean vocals, think of insipid 2000 and pinball map. though bullet ride and square nothing is just wispering.

I'd say Colony has better cleans than Clayman overall, but yeah, they're fine on Clayman too. As far as your ratings go, I would probably rate Disconnected, Alias and Sleepless Again a little higher, but otherwise they're fine. But man, Alias IS catchy... that "don't believe the mask, it adapts to any lie/light, a perfect ten, when reality caves in" was stuck in my head for ages. The synths are still a bit weird, but the acoustic part is nice.

And say all you want about how dt Stayed true and still sound like dt. Yeah but the last 2 or 3 albums have had the same formula. Fiction is good but it sounds like Character which sounds like Damage done. Projecter and Haven have there own gothic sound though which is cool. Im more of a fan once Dt added keyboards.
Yeah...
I didn't say anything about DT staying true. Their sound has changed radically over the years. It's just gone in a less commercial direction than IFs, intentionally or unintentionally.
There are some keyboards/hammond used on The Gallery, I believe. Frederick Nordstrom has a hammond organ in his studio, and a lot of the stuff that gets recorded there comes out with very subtle keyboards and hammond (like TJR, for example).

I don't think Character and Fiction sound so much like DD.... in fact I fuckin' hated Character when it first came out for some reason, and grew to appreciate it only a year or so later. Similar story with Fiction, I'm a fan of both albums now regardless, but I still think DD is the best overall album DT have produced, marginally better than Gallery.

Need to get Damage Done. I only have The Gallery, Fiction, Skydancer/Of Chaos..., and The Mind's I.

The only thing about DD is maybe it lacked as much punch at the end of the record, but I think you could potentially say the same thing about The Gallery.