A Sense of Purpose

i think the albums ok they are trying to be more melodic. The only song that i liked was |i'm the highway| reminded me of clayman alot the opening riff.Didn't really like the chorus. Haven't really listened to it alot. Solo was good. One thing i didn't like about this new album was ti was to much singing. And the guitars seemed like muffled or something not sure how to explain it.
In Flames are probably my favorite melodic death band. Albums like "Jester Race/Black Ash, "Whoracle" and my favorite "Colony" are fuckin' excellent. But, "Sense of Purpose" sounds rushed and forced. IF just don't seem to be concentrating enough on writing good songs. Seems like, this put out 13 mediocre songs instead of 9 excellent ones. I'm all for their "new" direction. Good ideas are on this album, they just don't expand on them. The artwork is fuckin' juvenile. I am dissapointed in this.

Agree totally the melodies did seem very forced. Like ls,tjr,whoracle,colony,clayman they seemed natural. Also i think colony, clayman style fit them the best. They got that nice mix of clean and death growls . They could produce alot of it live better then the old albums. It fit them perfectly i think. Don't get me wrong i still think tjr is the best album followed by whoracle,ls. I love those albums. But yet they were a bitch live. But clayman /colony was just the perfect fit. This new albums seems close to clayman/colony but yet far away at the same time.
Just my two senses take it or leave it

I don't think the melodies sound forced in ASOP. But I'll agree that the melodies in Clayman sound more natural and relevant. I still think ASOP is there best album since Clayman, I just wish it was a bit heavier. I wouldn't mind a bit of the anger that was in Come Clarity to show up in ASOP.

I bought ASOP yesterday.

The inside artwork is pretty cool and adds depth to the cover, which I'm still not that fond of, but the music is what counts. Which is pretty damn good.

Favorite tracks are I Am the Highway, Sober and Irrelevant and Drenched In Fear.

Could anyone post the lyrix up? All the sites I've been on so far are blatently wrong.

The main problem is you still class them as a melodic death metal band when they aren't. They're melodic metal now, there is little to no death metal influence in their current sound and nor will it return. If you're looking for melodeath you'll be disappointed every time In Flames release something, and I'd suggest focusing your energy onto current melodeath acts... Norther, Dark Tranquillity, etc.
Melodic death or melodic metal. I appreciate your point. You missed mine. Regardless, of what IF are referred to now, a band still must write good songs. SOP, is rushed and not well-written. IF could do so much better than this. And it doesn't have anything to do with the "new" direction their music has taken. Writing good songs sells albums every time. Just my thoughts.

"Current Melo Death Acts ..Dark Tranquillity" What? I don't get Why people praise Dark Tranquillity..To me they were always a 2nd rate In FLames....Sure there new albums are alot better then new In FLames...but IMO.

TJR, W, COL, CLAY are better then anything pre haven.

Minds I is boring, used to love it but something has turned me off...The Gallery is overrated and boring as well...Just My Opinion though.

Melodic death or melodic metal. I appreciate your point. You missed mine. Regardless, of what IF are referred to now, a band still must write good songs. SOP, is rushed and not well-written. IF could do so much better than this. And it doesn't have anything to do with the "new" direction their music has taken. Writing good songs sells albums every time. Just my thoughts.

Writing good songs sells albums? I guess you consider TJR an album with 'good songs'? I bet ASOP will sell more than TJR, a lot more. Good songs do NOT sell albums, good promotion and marketing does. And, also, it's your opinion that the songs on ASOP are bad, I personally think they're superior to the songs on CC and STYE.

Minds I is boring, used to love it but something has turned me off...The Gallery is overrated and boring as well...Just My Opinion though.

The Gallery is NOT overrated. If you don't like the Gallery you don't like melodic death metal =/

Well, that usually happens to people who get raped as well. It desensitizes them, just like when people constantly listen to bad music and they think it's good.

so you have to be raped a few times before you can love it lol. if any one you knew heard what u said you would get slapped. ya if you haven't noticed most of the world hates metal and may distinguish it as bad music, but we all like it and we don't care what others dumb ass opinions are and we think/know its good.. you could say the same thing about new inflames but theres just somthing about it that i love and have no idea why

Writing good songs sells albums? I guess you consider TJR an album with 'good songs'? I bet ASOP will sell more than TJR, a lot more. Good songs do NOT sell albums, good promotion and marketing does. And, also, it's your opinion that the songs on ASOP are bad, I personally think they're superior to the songs on CC and STYE.

The Gallery is NOT overrated. If you don't like the Gallery you don't like melodic death metal =/

Give me a break...There are SO many better albums then The Gallery...IMO it's to technical and all over the place to be a classic melodic death metal album..They sound confused and don't know what sound they want...Haven, Damage Done are way better. Dark Tranquillity can't touch The Jester Race I'm sorry.

Give me a break...There are SO many better albums then The Gallery...IMO it's to technical and all over the place to be a classic melodic death metal album..They sound confused and don't know what sound they want...Haven, Damage Done are way better. Dark Tranquillity can't touch The Jester Race I'm sorry.

:mad:
Failure.
First off...too technical?
"OMG, they're playing really well, this sucks"
It's not confused at all. Listen to it a dozen times, you'll realize that (I hate to say this) it's way beyond anything IF have done, both conceptually and musically. It is, quite frankly, the pinnacle of melodic death metal.

aww you got angry...It's my opinion dude...I don't agree with yours at all.. I Have listened to The Gallery for years and years and still I never remember anything about it. I love Dark Tranquillity almost anything by them I like..Gallery has some great songs but nothing ever touches Punish My heaven..The rest of the album is nowhere near the coolness of that song. It's like a tease..1st song amazing..The rest just okay.

ASOP would be a REALLY good album if...

(a) Guitar tone was less muddy
(b) More variation in the vocals, e.g. more growls + more cleans (tasteful cleans)
(c) The soft guitar parts didn't have that over the top watery chorus effect, they dont always use it but when they do it detracts from the melody of the riff
(d) If they let the song structure vary a bit more, e.g. Dead Eternity style structure

There are SO many better albums then The Gallery...IMO it's to technical and all over the place to be a classic melodic death metal album..They sound confused and don't know what sound they want...Haven, Damage Done are way better. Dark Tranquillity can't touch The Jester Race I'm sorry.

Fair enough, if that's how you feel dude, but I personally disagree entirely. I think The Gallery is extremely tight and the album as a whole is seamless. It's definately a classic melodeath album, I'm sorry but that isn't even a debate, it's a fact. I personally DO prefer Damage Done, but I think likely only because it was the first DT album I purchased. If it had been the other way round The Gallery would probably be my fave. Gallery and TJR are IMO equal as albums.

it's way beyond anything IF have done, both conceptually and musically. It is, quite frankly, the pinnacle of melodic death metal

I'd agree that in terms of musical technicality the Gallery is better than anything In Flames has put out, but as far as being an album that people can pick up and listen to and love, I think it's definately equal with TJR. I wouldn't put Gallery above TJR, or Slaughter of the Soul by At The Gates. I think these 3 albums represent the pinnacle of Melodeath, and there's really very little between them. Personal opinion, of course.

I Have listened to The Gallery for years and years and still I never remember anything about it. I love Dark Tranquillity almost anything by them I like..Gallery has some great songs but nothing ever touches Punish My heaven..The rest of the album is nowhere near the coolness of that song. It's like a tease..1st song amazing..The rest just okay

I agree that Punish My Heaven is the best song off Gallery, pure fuckin' melodeath at it's abolsute best. However, there are plenty of songs off the Gallery which are severly underrated. Lethe is a fantastic, emotional song that slays live (try and find the 1997 live version that is floating around on Youtube, absolutely EPIC).

After listening to the album a couple of times, I've come to the conclusion that it's quite good. Not great, but still good.
So far my favourites are: Move Through Me and March To The Shore.

and my least favourites: I'm The Highway and Sober And Irrelevant (Ironic title, this song really is irrelevant and dull).

Overall this is definitely their best album since Clayman, but Anders' vocals gets on my nerves after a while.

aww you got angry...It's my opinion dude...I don't agree with yours at all.. I Have listened to The Gallery for years and years and still I never remember anything about it. I love Dark Tranquillity almost anything by them I like..Gallery has some great songs but nothing ever touches Punish My heaven..The rest of the album is nowhere near the coolness of that song. It's like a tease..1st song amazing..The rest just okay.
Didn't get angry...got sarcastic.
IDK, The Dividing Line, The Emptiness From Which I Fed, The One Brooding Warning, Silence, And The Firmament Withdrew...all amazing. The "Mine Is The Grandeur...Of Melancholy Burning" thing was the worst, and it was still great, and it was the end of the album.
But Punish My Heaven was probably the best.
I'd agree that in terms of musical technicality the Gallery is better than anything In Flames has put out, but as far as being an album that people can pick up and listen to and love, I think it's definately equal with TJR. I wouldn't put Gallery above TJR, or Slaughter of the Soul by At The Gates. I think these 3 albums represent the pinnacle of Melodeath, and there's really very little between them. Personal opinion, of course.
With ATG, I'd say tRitSiO is the pick of the litter. Challenging, but listen to it a lot and it gets better - much better.
Thing is, the more I listen to The Gallery, the better it gets, while The Jester Race simply stays put at "fucking awesome." I think it's the production - the Gallery (at least the remaster) has an amazing, dynamic sound.

I would Disagree Again...Well. Let me state this..I wasnt knocking Dt's peforming skills...Of course most of us know that In Flames are alot less talented in that department then the 'ol mighty Dt. But Gallery just seems messy to me.. I like Skydance better.

And ATG IMO have Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter of the Soul. The first 2 again is very messy to me. I own TRITSIO can't ever get into it. I do agree that The GALLERY gets better with each listen..I just gave up on it and hardly ever listen to it anymore.I love Lethe as well...There are def certain songs I go back to but As a whole I never get through it without getting bored...I'm not saying IF are perfect either...

And say all you want about how dt Stayed true and still sound like dt. Yeah but the last 2 or 3 albums have had the same formula. Fiction is good but it sounds like Character which sounds like Damage done. Projecter and Haven have there own gothic sound though which is cool. Im more of a fan once Dt added keyboards.

New Dark Tranquillity > New In Flames
Old In Flames > Old Dark Tranquillity

With ATG, I'd say tRitSiO is the pick of the litter. Challenging, but listen to it a lot and it gets better - much better.
Thing is, the more I listen to The Gallery, the better it gets, while The Jester Race simply stays put at "fucking awesome." I think it's the production - the Gallery (at least the remaster) has an amazing, dynamic sound.

I bought The Red In The Sky Is Ours a couple of years back at HMV (and the clerk was mighty impressed if I remember correctly), and it is a good album. Beyond Good and Evil is awesome. EDIT: Seems this song was actually on With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness, another excellent album, I think the song I was thinking of was Kingdom Gone. However, I'd place Slaughter of the Soul still at the top of ATG's achievements, followed by a tie of tRitSiO and TSD. TSD has my fav ATG song on it, "Forever Blind", but I think overall Slaughter just flows perfectly. To be honest, I've listened to Gallery and TJR so much now that I'm not going to change my opinion on them anymore. Both epic albums that define the Gothenburg sound.

I would Disagree Again...Well. Let me state this..I wasnt knocking Dt's peforming skills...Of course most of us know that In Flames are alot less talented in that department then the 'ol mighty Dt. But Gallery just seems messy to me.. I like Skydance better.

I'm a big fan of Skydancer myself, the lyrics on that album are absolutely amazing, and the music has a real atmosphere to it. Sadly the production lets it down a little.

And say all you want about how dt Stayed true and still sound like dt. Yeah but the last 2 or 3 albums have had the same formula. Fiction is good but it sounds like Character which sounds like Damage done. Projecter and Haven have there own gothic sound though which is cool. Im more of a fan once Dt added keyboards.

I don't think Character and Fiction sound so much like DD.... in fact I fuckin' hated Character when it first came out for some reason, and grew to appreciate it only a year or so later. Similar story with Fiction, I'm a fan of both albums now regardless, but I still think DD is the best overall album DT have produced, marginally better than Gallery.