A song recommendation anyone?

TyrantOfFlames

Of Chaos and Order
Sep 3, 2001
Tralfamador
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a thoughtful mood. Can I get some recommendations for sad songs ala My Dying Bride - For My Fallen Angel, Dimmu Borgir - Det Nye Riket, Opeth - To Bid You Farewell, Evoken - Strange World, In Flames - Everlost II

thanks.

Break out the Anathema. "One Last Goodbye" from Judgement would be my recommendation.

Ever heard Devin Townsend? Try "Thing Beyond Things", and "Funeral" from the album Biomech by Ocean Machine (band name may be listed as either Ocean Machine or Devin Townsend, probably Ocean Machine)

These may be really nothing akin to the examples you've posted, heh, but give 'em a try, they're good exemplifications of sorrowfully goodness, in my opinion.

Ved Buens Ende - Autumn Leaves
Ashes You Leave - The Inheritance of Sin and Shame
Novembers Doom - For Every Leaf that Falls
Theatre of Tragedy - And When He Falleth

That's all I can think of off the top of my had. All sad music, though not as depressing as MDB.

Oh, and tyrant. Chill puffy cheeks. >P

I suggest the following albums because every song of those bands are so depressive:

° Evoken - "Quietus"
° Skepticism - "Lead and Aether"
° Dolorian - "Dolorian"
° Bethlehem - "S.U.I.Z.I.D."
° Deinonychus -"Deinonychus"

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions, Gdc, I actually have two of those albums, Evoken - Quietus (as well as Embrace the Emptiness, which was almost as good), And Skepticism - Lead and Aether. great CDs, not quite what I was asking for, but worth mentioning, none the less. I'll have to check out the other three.

Just thought I'd bring this thread bck out into the open, in case anyone else has some input...I really dig these kinds of songs. I even make complilation CDs of them. On of them contains:

Arcana - Our God Weeps
Pink Floyd - Hey You
Opeth - Harvest
Opeth - Remember Tomorrow
Opeth - To Bid You Farewell
Testament - Return to Serenity
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters (Had to put it on there..it really is a sad song.)
In Flames - The Everlost II
G//Z/R - Cycle of Sixty
Fear Factory - Timelessness
Chrono Cross - Another World Theme
My Dying Bride - Sear Me MCXVIII?(what ever the hell numbers are after it)
Dimmu Borgir - Det Nye Riket
My Dying Bride - For My Fallen Angel
Evoken - Strange World

so that's the kind of stuff im looking for. thanks. and if you have anything not on that list or in this thread, by all means, speak your mind.

There is one that always makes me anxious. It's an instrumental by Borknagar and it's called Om Hundrede Aar Er Alting Glemt. The guy that wrote it dedicated it to his father which makes it even greater.
The best instrumental song that I have heard in years.

If anyone wants to know the translation it's roughly "In a hundred years everything is forgotten."

Here's a list of some not so metal sad songs:

Pearl Jam - Garden
Pearl Jam - Indifference
Mazzy Star - Wild Horses
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Staind - It's Been Awhile (not that sad but very emotional anyway)

Cheers.

If you want suicidaly (sp?) depressing try these (I forewarn u, they're not metal, so not really what ur looking for, but just as sad as the one's you've mentioned):
This Mortal Coil - Holocaust
Reamon - Supergirl
Wolfgang Press - Cut The Tree
Anathema - alternative four (the album)
A Silver Mount Zion - 13 Angels Standing Guard Round The Side Of My Bed
Tori Amos - Love Song
Cure - Charlotte Sometimes
Cry Cry Cry - The Kid
Concrete Blonde - Wendy
Reef - All I want
Coldplay - Parachutes (the album)
A strange one - ICP - nothnings left
Smashing Pumpkins - To Forgive
And if you bother to download ne of those and like them, I can give you more :)

the silent enigma - Anathema
I sorgens kammer - Dimmu Borgir
A pianosong by vintersorg on the album "till fjells"
pick and choose from all of Forest of Shadows.
Jonny Cash has a few too.

TyrantOfFlames - is this track from the soundtrack to the old SNES game? if so - where did you get it from?! I ask coz i love all the old "Square" games, and id love to get some of the soundtracks - thanks.

Chrono Cross - Another World Theme

Try some Radiohead, its not depressing, more thought-provoking.

Hmm to name a few....

-Exit Music
-Paranoid Android
-Just
-The Bends
-Blowout
-Karma Police
-Fake Plastic Trees
-Creep
-Climbing up the walls

It's very different from alot of the cliched sad metal crap thats out there right know. In fact it isnt metal, but give a listen you might like 'em.

I'd suggest the Live "Alternate" version of Pushit by Tool. Should be easy to find, it was on their DVD release Salival.

I keep saying his name, trying to get as many people as possible into him.. Don Ross. All acoustic guitar, no vocals. "With You in Mind" is a good one.

The only metallica song I ever found actually kinda sad was "My Friend of Misery," but it might have been that kickass bassline that made me remember it.

"Orestes" or "3 Libras" by A Perfect Circle
"The Show Must Go On" by Queen (was the last track on their last REAL release).. I found it sad because of that, but it's kinda inspiring otherwise.

NP: Don Ross, With You in Mind

I hate to tell you, Riotus, but I found that song by playing the game "Chrono Cross"...I loved it so much that I searched for it online, and downloaded it. The square soundtracks for their games are usually only available in Japan, but you might be able to import them somehow...I dont know searching online might help.

Savatage - Symmetry
Savatage - Watching You Fall
Savatage - If I Go Away
Symphony X - Candlelight Fantasia
Symphony X - The Edge of Forever
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element
Pain of Salvation - Oblivion Ocean
Saviour Machine - A World Alone
Saviour Machine - American Babylon
Arena - Tears in the Rain
Arena - Friday's Dream