A traveling I will go....

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
We can unveil yet another tour that appears to be set to hit US shores. KATATONIA, SCAR SYMMETRY, and a American touring debut for Spinefarm Records’ SWALLOW THE SUN (whose recent track ‘The Justice of Suffering’ featured guest vocals by KATATONIA frontman Janas Renkse) will be teaming up for a trek across the States. The first date is:

September 4 - Springfield, VA @ Jaxx

If this tour gets within 4 hours of me I am so FUCKING THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yes! Please let there be an Atlanta date! That sounds awesome - good package, for the most part. And by that I mean Scar Symmetry almost fits in perfectly with the other bands.

Scar Symmetry? Arent they brutal, if not they sound a little too brutal for this tour....cant wait for this, the last time I saw Katatonia they were w/ Moonspell (who were boring) and Katatonia easily deserved the headliner spot. Hope they come back to the Pearl Room Mokena.

Scar Symmetry? Arent they brutal, if not they sound a little too brutal for this tour....cant wait for this, the last time I saw Katatonia they were w/ Moonspell (who were boring) and Katatonia easily deserved the headliner spot. Hope they come back to the Pearl Room Mokena.

Thats too bad you dont like Moonspell, I think they are awesome. SS arent that brutal by any means they are a very nice mix of Prog, Death, Thrash, and Melodicness.

I thought the complete opposite when I saw that tour. I love Katatonia's music, but they really need to work on their stage presence and just pretty much their live show all around. Moonspell had a lot of energy and were in your face the whole time. Maybe they just had a bad night at your show, who knows.

But yeah, Scar Symmetry isn't really brutal at all.

I saw Katatonia last year in Jyväskylä and Swallow the Sun just recently literally three blocks from my house...

... Renkse's despondent stage act came across as completely uninterested and uninteresting to me, and the band mangled the older material they played (I have no interest in the latest two albums). Swallow the Sun... the vocalist was a black hole of charisma and didn't do any clean vocals, and his grunting was way way way too up front in the mix. I kept hoping he'd develop some problem so I could just hear the band play without him fucking it up.

Insomnium's on the tour? They're pretty good. When I saw them last year I kept thinking "Shit, this vocalist literally wants to be Taneli Jarva..." Imagine my amusement when, to finish out their set, Sevänen dropped his bass, put on the shades, and went in total over-the-top hero worship mode for the Nepenthe cover. heheheh.

I am amazed at this tour package. This means two in a row for Katatonia in this regard: an absolutely perfect and appropriate tour PACKAGE.

I think these bands make sense together, because they all use different styles from one another. If you think of Swallow the Sun as a death/doom band, then consider what Katatonia used to be, relate the death metal elements to the gloomy melodic death stylings of Insomnium (who are awesome), then allow that sound to progress to the techy death metal dealings of Scar Symmetry, I think the bands are all related enough to where it makes sense. It's not like it's a power metal band with two hardcore openers or something terrible like that.

I also think this tour 'works' because I like all four bands involved. I pray this tour does not skip the southeast. I'd love to see a date in SC, but would gladly drive to ATL or somewhere in NC to see this. Make it work, promoters!

haha, I would if they fit me! (And yeah, I already addressed the issue of XXL t-shirts with Christofer. :heh: )

I realllllly hope this tour comes here. The summer and fall are looking relatively quiet in Atlanta, excepting Dimmu, Symphony X, Nightwish and of course PPUSA.

and Immolation/Suffocation :headbang:

Unfortunately though, you're right. From tour dates that have been announced so far, it looks like Enslaved/Arsis, Dream Theater, Edguy, and just about every other tour is skipping Atlanta.

...The summer and fall are looking relatively quiet in Atlanta, excepting Dimmu, Symphony X, Nightwish and of course PPUSA.

well, I tried my damnedest to bring To/Die/For, Shatter Messiah, Epicurean, and Virgin Black here to no avail. Venues just don't want any decent 'national' shows here. They won't take any outside promoters seriously unless they've been around for decades I guess.

I guess we could all go somewhere that weekend of June 29th and see Colossick again, or Cinjed again, or SMI... again... :rolleyes:

*grumble*

and here I have the chance to bring Sacred Steel, Persuader, WarMachine, and so many others to ATL later this fall. After the two-month runaround I received over the T/D/F show from all of these venues in ATL, I just don't think it's worth the effort and certainly not worth the stress. :ill: