ABCs Challenge

Baroque

Oct 16, 2012
Southern California
Listen to a full album you haven't heard before, by a band starting with each letter of the alphabet.

You can post your first choice for A and then edit in more albums as you go. Or just post each time.

Please rate the album as well, however you like (comments are good). And list the sub genre.

First one to Z wins... bragging rights, idk. It will probably take days/weeks to complete this. Annnnd go.

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
I'm starting with Avatarium's new album, The Girl With the Raven Mask. Will edit in a review later.

Track by track:
1 - solid, reminds me of their previous album, melodic vocals over doom rock, would listen again.
2 - annoying and cheesy at times
3 - boring and predictable
4 - not a fan of vocal melodies following the guitars like this. Too slow.
5 - ok, I zoned through most of it. Pleasant listening but not much happens.
6 - oh hi random pop rock intro. This guitar riff is way too happy and simple to be repeated this many times. Weak radio friendly track
7 - this reminds me of when smashing pumpkins started making all soft music and no one liked them anymore. Horrible 3 note 'guitar solo'. Song is slightly better In the 2nd half
8 - interesting, this has some soul to it. I like it, strong finish at least.

Overall a disappointment compared to their last album, an inauspicious beginning. 5/10

Last edited:
I'd probably do it but started work a few days ago. Have no enough time despite the fact that I used to spend many hours here.

^^ idk, I thought it was a pretty appropriate response to the 'fucking loser' comment he got for this topic.

@Krow - Currently training my new Border Collie pup and havent listened to a full album this week. Cant seem to be able to take my eyes off him long enough to get an album in without him chewing on something I dont want him to. Im going to take an off night tomorrow and listen to some new death and black metal cassettes I just got in the mail. No band that starts with 'A' though unfortunately.

That's right, there needs to be a house above your hole for it to count as a basement.

And to balance things, partying with nerds you work with doesn't constitute "getting out more".

I have no interest in partying with those who are neither nerds nor metalheads, ( though I make exceptions for family) and I probably go to more shows than he does anyway. I'm happier around nerds. We can actually discuss things intelligently, and learn something from each other.

I have no interest in partying with those who are neither nerds nor metalheads, ( though I make exceptions for family) and I probably go to more shows than he does anyway. I'm happier around nerds. We can actually discuss things intelligently, and learn something from each other.

Don't worry man, I'm just jerking your chain. I too enjoy the company of a fine nerd.

*pats back*

Allegaeon - Formshifter
MA lists genre as technical melodic death metal

This certainly isn't BAD melodeath, but it's average at best. There are some good guitar leads.

The problem is how oversaturated this genre is with albums that have no differentiation. I used to eat this shit up back when I was a fledgling metalhead but now I sparingly listen to this stuff.

6/10

Last edited: