ABCs Challenge

Argus - Boldly Stride the Doomed

8/10

This is the type of thing that I like to find. Excellent newer doom metal album.

Bedemon - Child of Darkness

9/10

As a longtime fan of Pentagram, I really enjoyed this.

Reactions: CiG and Phylactery
Behemoth - Evangelion
Genre: Blackened death metal

I have never been big on Behemoth, but I give them points for sounding super sinister on every release and just bringing the pain

6/10 only because I find their stuff super boring and this wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Aeternus - Shadows of Old
Genre - blackened atmospheric death metal?

I've been a long time fan of Beyond the Wandering Moon, ...And So the Night Became and the Dark Sorcery EP, yet I've never listened to their more death metal works due to generally unfavourable reviews. I'm pleasantly surprised. This is neither as dense or atmospheric as Beyond the Wandering Moon, or as cinematic and epic as ...And So the Night Became. It does, however, retain the folk inspired melodies that made the first two so great. This time they are just delivered in a firmly death metal context rather than the previous black metal base the band used - blast beats are used to enhance the aggression, rather than as the ambient backdrop they previously were. Ares' Earth-shattering growls continue to be a highlight. This would probably be a good introduction to the band for those unfamiliar with them.

A solid 7-7.5/10.

IF I EVER DIE.... THE STARS WILL DROP FROM THE SKYYYYYYYYY.

That's actually my second favorite Candlemass album.

Death Angel - Relentless Retribution
Thrash

6.5/10

I'm not really sure what to think of this band. There are some good parts and some boring. Maybe I should check out the new one..

Aion - 愛音~AION~ [1992]

Spastic weird Japanese shit that's actually pretty ordinary for the country and time period. Some thrash, some prog, some power metal, some ballads. Usually those bands have a few really engaging moments with some really crappy ones (like Gargoyle), this one is kind of just decent all the way through. I'll be slightly generous and give it a 6/10.

I'm going to go out of order but still fill up the full alphabet cuz I don't want to pass on interesting first-listens:

Wintersong - Requieum [1989]

Don't remember when I downloaded this one, although I only wishlisted it on RYM a couple months ago. It's white-collar USPM with some Queensryche influence, but on first impression this is pretty different. There are a lot of acoustic songs and passages but not really the usual ballads. It's a Christian thing and the last song is a full-on hymnal, but it actually sounds kind of cool. The melodies are sometimes a bit folky and the atmosphere is pretty somber aside from maybe two heavier faster songs. Strong 7/10 for now.

EDIT: Now onto their second album under the name of...

Dominion - S/T [1991]

This one kind of lost it. Much more metallic and overtly prog metally, not necessarily bad but the atmosphere is a lot more ordinary here. Singer even drops an F-bomb, utterly sacrilegious. Some Rush influence creeping in as well. I'm digging the fifth track, nice dynamics, the thrashiest parts mixed with the softest ones. I dunno, this is still better than a lot of uber-obscure stuff I've come across so I can't bash it too much. 6/10.

Last edited:
Blitzkrieg - The Mists of Avalon [1998]

I remembered reading some time ago that their 90s stuff was overlooked/underrated but never put much effort in exploring that, felt this was a good opportunity (I'll probably do a 90s Candlemass or Chastain album or something next). The most interesting parts were in the opening twenty minute "suite" thing, although it wasn't particularly interesting because of that alone. A few strong moments that conjure that kind of arcane 80s trad/power mood, but a lot of the stuff is just a little too soft and plain kind of like Maiden's 2000s stuff. Brian Ross sounds better today than he did nearly 20 years ago on this album. 5/10 but that would probably go down on subsequent listens because this album is pretty damn long too.

Conception - Flow [1997]

I had high expectations for their earlier albums, which were promptly destroyed by an excess of crappy groove metal riffs, wimpy production and performance, and a bit of prog cheese. People would sometimes say "Well OK, but Flow is totally different, it's got all these keys and shit and sounds so futuristic and shit man". Verdict: still poor groove metal, with a couple of poppier songs in the middle that manage to fit alright. 3/10.

Elvaron - Mages Battle [1997]

Cleaning out my wishlist. Described elsewhere as progressive/thrash metal, this instead a pretty dull mixture of trad and thrash metal. I mean, it has potential, it's got a consistent medieval fantasy theme and the vocalist switches between vaguely harsh chanted styles to a weak-if-fitting power metal style, but the riffing is way too generic. Foredoomed is a pretty good song though. I like it when they throw in those NWOBHM harmonies, even if those are generic too. I dunno, I guess it's like a really budget version of Bifrost or something. People that don't care about riffs might enjoy this (probably not). 4/10.

Last edited:
Fates Warning - Theories of Flight [2016]

Wasn't too crazy about the previous album, came into this one with no expectations. First impression is that there was less aggro/groove stuff here which is a good thing because it doesn't fit them at all, softer and more in the vein of APSOG/Disconnected at least in the first couple songs, but I lost attention pretty quickly. Cuz it's FW I'll give it a relisten soon, right now very inconclusive. 5/10.

should've gone for UNHOLY TRINITY instead.

I'll try that one next time, never even heard of it tbh.

Dream Theater - Images and Words

4/10

While performed technically well, this album was extremely boring to me. "Pull Me Under" was surprisingly full of angst in a bad way.

Believer - Extraction from Mortality.

Loved their 2nd and 3rd albums, but previously avoided this debut due to its 60% rating. Pleasantly surprised. This is straightforward thrash and less progressive, but it's well done and easily listenable. Some tense thrashy moments. Also some nice progressive moments that foretell the albums to come. Not a stand out album really but still above average. Thumbs up, 8/10.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG