Acceptable camera and electronic device usage

In the past, I have been on "Unofficial" Bootleg duty, and have no problems doing it again. Here is what I suggest.

There is always a Venue security guard at the front corners on each side of the stage keeping people from sneaking backstage. They have direct access to myself or one of the other crew members. I can make then aware of the situation, and they will immediately come and get one of us. If you tell some guy in the back or in the lobby, chances are, they won't do much, if anything. So tell the guys that have direct access.

As far as the Showcase, same rules apply. I will have press there also, along with people with the bands that will have access to the show just like Friday and Saturday.

Thanks...Shane

Ok so let me get this straight... I CAN bring in my cell phone, which has the ability to take pictures and video (I want to be able quote you guys, if I'm asked). You're telling me the bouncers won't try to deny my admission based on what phone I have? And, I CAN take pictures with this phone - of my friends & bandmembers - in the lobby, no problem? I am not interested in bootlegging, esp. since I've paid serious $$ for my passes. This is my 4th year at PP, and I really enjoy being able to "capture the moment", as well as text my friends to find out where the hell they are. So, thanks for your clarification. And Glenn - can I get a picture with you this year? You've created a festival that has literally changed my life (in good ways), but you always run past quickly and say "Hey - good to see ya" and then you're gone. You're a celebrity to us, as much as anyone else. I'd like to have a shot for the ol' scrapbook. Thanks!

Same rules all four days.

Wow.... really? I mean, I've always brought my film camera all four days for the past nine years, but everybody kept telling me last year that I could've brought my digital for WEDNESDAY NIGHT ONLY. Everybody had their digital but me... so should I stick to my film for Wed., as well??? thx :)

Wow.... really? I mean, I've always brought my film camera all four days for the past nine years, but everybody kept telling me last year that I could've brought my digital for WEDNESDAY NIGHT ONLY. Everybody had their digital but me... so should I stick to my film for Wed., as well??? thx :)

I'm rather certain that Circus Maximus do not want their show recorded. I know you would not do that, but I'm 100% certain that someone would that brings in a digital camera that night. Some cameras could easily record the entire hour and I don't have security sweeping on Wed night. It's my night to relax and enjoy the show.

I really don't want to seem like a dick, so I'm asking as nicely as possible. Why aren't standard patrons allowed to have digital cameras?

http://progpowerusa.com/site/faq/ - scroll down to "What about photography"

In particular:

This is a closed matter. I will also delete any new threads or posts on the subject in the forum as well. It is not open to discussion or debate as I do not want a repeat of the flame wars from last time.

http://progpowerusa.com/site/faq/ - scroll down to "What about photography"

In particular:

This is pretty much what I figured, and it makes a decent amount of sense, it's just unfortunate. I think this is one of those cases in which the advancement of technology is actually hurting people more than it is helping them. Since all digital cameras are capable of recording video, people can't have a good-quality camera.
I'm looking it from my perspective. I have never been to the festival, but intend to go, and when I do make the trip, I want to document it. It will be a huge deal for me, and I hate the fact that I would be unable to take pictures with friends, members of bands, etc. I mean, you still have phone and disposable cameras, but let's face it, the picture quality generally sucks.
I understand this is "not open for discussion", but I can't help but suggest something:
I think it would be a good compromise to allow digital cameras inside the building itself, but set up a person at each door to the show room to check the people for cameras. If you bring a camera, have an option to "check" it with the staff while you're inside, and just charge people a small fee to hold it for X amount of time, that way you could make some money back for your troubles. I don't know, just a thought.

I'm really not trying to start something, just some thoughts.

My point-and-shoot Nikon 35mm takes great pictures. Well, the band pics don't always turn out as well as I'd like, but for everything else, I can't complain. I just have to remember to get enough film. ;)

This is pretty much what I figured, and it makes a decent amount of sense, it's just unfortunate. I think this is one of those cases in which the advancement of technology is actually hurting people more than it is helping them. Since all digital cameras are capable of recording video, people can't have a good-quality camera.
I'm looking it from my perspective. I have never been to the festival, but intend to go, and when I do make the trip, I want to document it. It will be a huge deal for me, and I hate the fact that I would be unable to take pictures with friends, members of bands, etc. I mean, you still have phone and disposable cameras, but let's face it, the picture quality generally sucks.
I understand this is "not open for discussion", but I can't help but suggest something:
I think it would be a good compromise to allow digital cameras inside the building itself, but set up a person at each door to the show room to check the people for cameras. If you bring a camera, have an option to "check" it with the staff while you're inside, and just charge people a small fee to hold it for X amount of time, that way you could make some money back for your troubles. I don't know, just a thought.

I'm really not trying to start something, just some thoughts.

These things have been considered, but they're just not practical. There are 4 main doors, so you'd need 4 extra people, and since the people who are the problem are not going to show their cameras to you, you have to search every bag, coat, oversize pocket, etc. for every single person who goes in, which would lead to huge lines, affecting those who just want to go in and see the show on time.

I don't discourage people making suggestions, but we have tried to come up with things in the past. There was a year or two where we attempted to check the specific models that could do video and only disallow those (SLR's generally didn't), but it's now become impractical.

Bootleggers basically ruin it for everyone else, but what can you do? If you do nothing, then it's negligence, and the bands will simply stop coming to play the show...

These things have been considered, but they're just not practical. There are 4 main doors, so you'd need 4 extra people, and since the people who are the problem are not going to show their cameras to you, you have to search every bag, coat, oversize pocket, etc. for every single person who goes in, which would lead to huge lines, affecting those who just want to go in and see the show on time.

I don't discourage people making suggestions, but we have tried to come up with things in the past. There was a year or two where we attempted to check the specific models that could do video and only disallow those (SLR's generally didn't), but it's now become impractical.

Bootleggers basically ruin it for everyone else, but what can you do? If you do nothing, then it's negligence, and the bands will simply stop coming to play the show...

Ah, I'm sorry I didn't know you had tried something of the sort in the past, I guess it's just me coming late to the party on this since I haven't been around in past years. I understand the logistical issues my suggestion might present.
I guess sometimes I just underestimate how much of a problem bootlegging is. I definitely understand the value in catching people who are doing audio and video recording of entire songs or sets. When I saw Dream Theater this summer the venue in Asbury Park had security just keep an eye on folks with digital cameras, and if it seemed like they were recording, they flagged them down. Certainly you can't catch everyone like that, but I would think it should eliminate most of the people who would otherwise we capable of shooting decent video, as opposed to the off-hand shitty 30-second YouTube clip, which doesn't really hurt anyone.

Point is, Glenn has tried to allow Digicams in even after he got boned by a bootlegger, and it didn't work. Some other jackass decided he was going to beat the system. Now, no digicams are allowed inside by decree of the man who runs the festival who, truely, asks very little of us. If you really feel the need to take pictures, bring a cellphone or a film camera. Or snag a VIP and ask for a picture.

Point is, Glenn has tried to allow Digicams in even after he got boned by a bootlegger, and it didn't work. Some other jackass decided he was going to beat the system. Now, no digicams are allowed inside by decree of the man who runs the festival who, truely, asks very little of us. If you really feel the need to take pictures, bring a cellphone or a film camera. Or snag a VIP and ask for a picture.

I'm sorry, and I don't really need to get attitude for being inquisitive. (That's what your post implies anyway, if that wasn't the intention, blame the internet). I don't intend to change anyone's mind, I was simply discussing it. I didn't act unreasonable and responded like it was a ridiculous concept or asking too much of people to do without them, I was just curious about why they choose to ban cameras when I don't generally think of bootlegging as being a huge problem. I'm not complaining, I'm just discussing. I understand the "point".

So, taking cell phone pics is OK. I'm confused again :lol:

Cell phones are OK to bring into the venue, including all kinds of iPhones Blackberries, Android phones, etc. It's OK to use them in the lobby. It's NOT OK to use them inside where the bands are playing for either photo or video purposes, but you can still have the phone physically with you.

You can try to bust people who try to use their phones to shoot photos of the bands, but a few of them will have some kind of special status, there's a chance they will be allowed. Video is only allowed in very exceptional cases (by people who work for a band or their label, or the film crew for the event - and they won't shoot a DVD with an iPhone :heh:). VIP badges if you do bust someone trying to bootleg, though.

Chris

Cell phones are OK to bring into the venue, including all kinds of iPhones Blackberries, Android phones, etc. It's OK to use them in the lobby. It's NOT OK to use them inside where the bands are playing for either photo or video purposes, but you can still have the phone physically with you.
Chris

Oops, sorry for creating that confusion, Chris :)