Digital Camera Ruling:

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Digital Photography will be allowed. However, it is not going to be that simple:

1. There will be a one time $10 fee charged at the door. You will be given a bracelet after your camera has been inspected. If you lose the bracelet overnight, you will have to pay the fee once again to get the camera back in the building.

2. You will go through a seperate line for inspection. This will be a very time consuming process so get your bitching out of the way now. I have no doubt that this line will cause some people to be late. Once again, deal with it and get your bitching out of the way now.

The money being generated will go towards hiring someone to check the cameras, additional paid spys in the audience, and metal detectors. There will be no mirco cameras hidden in the crack of your ass for booting this time out. Any leftover funds goes straight into my pocket simply for dealing with the headache.

No backpacks will be allowed this year, only small camera cases. My security was fucking pathetic about this rule last year and I have already told them it will not happen again.

Flash photography is free and you can go through the main line for regular inspection.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
Flash photography is free and you can go through the main line for regular inspection.

Just for clarification, when you say, "flash photography", do you mean traditional film (non-digital) photography? Both digital and film cameras can use flash which is why I ask.

Film cameras and digital cameras look pretty much the same unless the film camera is a disposable, so I'm sure some digital cameras are going to get through the main line determined as film cameras and at no charge.

I can already see people trying to get a digital camera in through the "main/film camera" line and then be told that they have to get out of the main line and get in the very back of a very long digital camera line to pay the fee and get a wristband. A whole lotta bitching going to go down then. Just save yourself another headache and have all cameras, digital or film go through a separate camera line for inspection. The camera inspector would know more about film vs. digital cameras than the Terminator.

Hi Glenn!
HUGE thank you for doing this!
Just curious, what will the cameras be inspected for? ability to do video?
weed? (j/k!) I think most point & shoot digis do video in some capacity (mine does 29-30 seconds of horrible video!) Or will they be working off of a specific secret list of cameras that do high quality video?

Not trying to get around anything, but if my particular camera is banned, I won't even bother to bring it.

Again, THANK YOU! :worship:

J-Dubya

J-Dubya 777 said:
Hi Glenn!
HUGE thank you for doing this!
Just curious, what will the cameras be inspected for? ability to do video?
weed? (j/k!) I think most point & shoot digis do video in some capacity (mine does 29-30 seconds of horrible video!) Or will they be working off of a specific secret list of cameras that do high quality video?

Not trying to get around anything, but if my particular camera is banned, I won't even bother to bring it.

Again, THANK YOU! :worship:

J-Dubya

It's way too early to comment about this.

Glenn H.

Well I'll bring my digi - but I'm pretty sure it allows for 15 second video clips. Hopefully before the fest we'll know it taht is acceptable or not. Note, I didnt say I know how to use the vid part but at least with my digi cam I can tell how bad the pix i take have turned out and it saves me on printing out the ones that look like worse than crap.

Thanmks Glenn - my pix may not turn out good, but they are good reminders of the time spent at the fest. See those green and red lights - I think Orphaned Land was playing then. The back of that dudes' head - I think that weas Therion :)

Hail
manowarfan1

Great Deal, I will only be using a standard 35mm camera with lots of film. But i think this is far to everyone, and if someone by chance gets a digital video camera in, and are detected and get the boot, then they have no reason to bitch.

That is a fair and reasonable deal. I'm there with J-Dubya as I'm sure my digicamera can take short video clips but I have begun practicing with the Canon T70 just in case...seems like my flash attachment is out on this camera...still time to get it repaired.

Thank you Glenn for this fair and reasonable arrangement/policy. :wave:

That's very good news. I think as a precaution I will bring both my digital and my standard 35 mm. I might use the digital more at the Pre-party and other gatherings (i.e. SX/TEOF luncheon) and then the flash for the lobby shots at Earthlink.

Gotta be flexible in order to be a good PP attendee (giggle).

Very generous of Glenn, this is great news. Since I'm allowed to get my bitching out of the way now - I'm really skinny, and shirts that fit me are in short supply, and I don't think I'll have any shot of getting one in the camera line. I can take my camera when I dump merchandise off if I'm quick, but there's no real way to get a decent spot for Savage Circus, since lots of the audience will carry over from Pyramaze. Let me mention again how great it was having Therion after PC69 - completely different audience, and I could walk straight to the front and eat wings while rocking out.

Harvester said:
Digital Photography will be allowed. However, it is not going to be that simple:

1. There will be a one time $10 fee charged at the door. You will be given a bracelet after your camera has been inspected. If you lose the bracelet overnight, you will have to pay the fee once again to get the camera back in the building.

2. You will go through a seperate line for inspection. This will be a very time consuming process so get your bitching out of the way now. I have no doubt that this line will cause some people to be late. Once again, deal with it and get your bitching out of the way now.

The money being generated will go towards hiring someone to check the cameras, additional paid spys in the audience, and metal detectors. There will be no mirco cameras hidden in the crack of your ass for booting this time out. Any leftover funds goes straight into my pocket simply for dealing with the headache.

No backpacks will be allowed this year, only small camera cases. My security was fucking pathetic about this rule last year and I have already told them it will not happen again.

Glenn H.

I like the idea of the separate camera line... mostly because it means I will be able to get in pretty quickly, while lots of other people are still waiting to get their cameras checked, heh. Still, it does seem to be a fair solution. However, there are a few logistical issues that come to mind (though it's understandable if these have not been entirely resolved yet)...

1. Is the security guy in the regular line going to be inspecting cameras in his line to make certain they are film cameras? If so, will he reroute people to the $10 line if they are digital? Also, will this cause a delay in the regular line, inadvertently causing people who have chosen not to bring camera to wait longer?

2. What will be allowed in terms of digital cameras? A lot of these devices have the ability to take short, grainy, crappy videos, which would be of no use to a bootlegger. Will those devices be allowed, or only ones which have no video capability at all? If so, will the camera-line security guy have the expertise to tell the difference? And even so, the process of painstakingly going through the features of every person's camera will be, as you said, time-consuming, to say the least. I hope people who are planning on getting pictures of the opening bands are in line early!

3. You pay $10, get your camera inspected, then obtain a bracelet. Is that $10 per night, or does the $10 cover both nights? And just to clarify, the bracelet is only to signify that the $10 fee has been paid... if someone with a bracelet leaves the venue and comes back a little while later, I assume they will have to submit to thorough camera inspection again?

While I still have no interest in taking pictures, this almost makes me want to bring a tape recorder, so I can make hilarious tapes of people who haven't been reading this board and don't know the history of the camera situation, and are waiting in the camera line bitching "why do I gotta pay $10? Duuuude... this is a fucking ripoff!"

:D

Thinking out aloud here. Of course, Glenn will have the final say...

It would be a good idea to post a list of banned cameras on the forum a couple of months before the event.

There should be a separate line for those with no camera (who want to enter promptly) and a separate line for those with camera (who are willing to wait to have their camera checked).

A digital camera allowed in because it can only take crappy video for only 30 seconds does not give the owner the right to take the video even though they could. All video is banned. Period.

There's a great resource for digital camera reviews, including video capabilities for almost every consumer digital camera made in the past five years. You can visit it at: http://www.dpreview.com

I'm guessing that any camera which can record video for over a couple of minutes at any quality would be banned. Of course, if you have enough memory you could string together enough 30 second clips to piece together a good portion of video highlights. Just something else for Glenn to think about. :loco: